Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dead Space 3 to gun for 'broader audience'

:: General :: Video Games

Go down

Dead Space 3 to gun for 'broader audience' Empty Dead Space 3 to gun for 'broader audience'

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:10 pm

This one is going to excite some of us...

Dead Space 3 to gun for 'broader audience' Screenshot_244884

EA's planning to gun for a broader audience with its next Dead Space instalment, as the publisher attempts to recreate the popularity of Capcom's Resident Evil series.

That's according to EA Games president Frank Gibeau, who said in an IGN interview that while he's pleased with the success Dead Space 2 has seen so far this year, he still believes there's room for growth with the series

"The Resident Evil series was awesome, the early versions were phenomenal. [Capcom] did a good job of growing the franchise to a very large market," Gibeau said. "I think we still have some areas to grow with Dead Space in terms of trying to reach a broader audience without losing the quality and that survival-horror mechanic.

"That's how we're going to think about it as we think about Dead Space 3 and what we do next with the IP.

"Overall, we want to try and grow the business in the action category," he explained. "EA doesn't really have a very strong stake there; survival-horror kind of lives in that genre. 3rd-person action is something that we think we can build and our Visceral Games team is really working hard at crafting some new IPs as well as building out ones that have succeeded."

Gibeau said EA - which has another survival-horror game launching this year in Shadows of the Damned - is thinking long-term for the genre.

"Horror movies are great films; it's a genre that's been around for decades. We think the same holds true for interactive," he said.

It's not the first time EA's mentioned Dead Space 3 of course; speaking during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, EA CEO John Riccitiello said last month:

"I think it will probably take Dead Space 3 before we get into that five million unit cadence versus say three, four."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/293191/news/dead-space-3-to-gun-for-broader-audience/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Slightly concerning that the series may already be moving away from survival horror that has been the success of the first two games. I love the atmosphere and the jumps; I don't want it to be a glorified point and shoot.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Dead Space 3 to gun for 'broader audience' Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

:: General :: Video Games

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum