Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it Over for Lady Gaga?

2 posters

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Is it Over for Lady Gaga? Empty Is it Over for Lady Gaga?

Post by TexasBlue Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Is it Over for Lady Gaga?

Bill O'Reilly
Thursday, Dec 01, 2011

A few months ago in this space, I wrote a column about the cultural phenom Lady Gaga that ended with me politely telling her to save her money. That's because the treacherous world of popular culture is not usually a long-term proposition. Entertainment idols often pass through the fame obstacle course very quickly.

In showbiz, there is the term "jumping the shark" that is used to describe a project in decline. It is derived from the hit sit-com "Happy Days" which, sorely lacking for material after years on the air, featured a show wherein The Fonz went waterskiing in a leather jacket and encountered a shark. You guessed it: the Fonz jumped over the shark on the skis. After that, the days were not so happy on that program.

Now we have Lady Gaga, the ultimate edgy, anti-establishment pop star, swimming in dubious waters. Recently, she fronted a Thanksgiving special. The New York Times described it this way: "Lady Gaga performs before family and friends and offers a glimpse of her personal life in an interview with Katie Couric...

"She also whips up a feast of deep-fried turkey and waffles with the chef Art Smith."

Somewhere Janis Joplin is weeping. By the way, Gaga's special was trounced in the ratings by the 237th airing of the "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Special."

And that's not all. The Associated Press reports that "Gaga's Workshop" is now open at the Barney's clothing store in Manhattan. Apparently, Gaga designed a special holiday shop featuring "a gigantic cartoon statue of the superstar herself in a pinup pose surrounded by jagged mirrors and sitting atop thousands of back plastic discs."

Forget the Rockefeller Center treeā€”the Gaga shop represents the true holiday spirit, does it not?

Now, some of you may think I am making this up, but it's all true. What I can't figure out is why Gaga's (Stefani Germanotta) management team seems to know nothing about history. The biggest pop icon ever, Elvis Presley, sabotaged his own career by starring in a series of movies like "Kissin' Cousins" and "Clambake." I mean, there was the once culturally dangerous Elvis, doing a dance called the "Clam" on a beach wearing black shoes and white pants. It took the King years to get back on track after those dopey flicks.

Last year, Gaga (Stefani) made $90 million from her songs and shows. Does she really need the Thanksgiving special? Or the Barney's exposure? Really?

The answer is "of course not." Gaga has now gone middle class mainstream, and at this rate, she will be co-hosting with Kelly Ripa any day now. The Lady may be trying not be a tramp, but she certainly has met the shark. And jumped it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Is it Over for Lady Gaga? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Is it Over for Lady Gaga? Empty Re: Is it Over for Lady Gaga?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't think it's about the money.
I think it's the "fame".
"The only thing worse than being talked about, is NOT being talked about."
These days, you're not REALLY famous unless you appear on the cover of "People Magazine" at least 2 or 3 times a year.
(I guess I'll NEVER be "famous".)

Mac

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:45 pm

I get tired of how the media tries to "make" these people into the "next thing" and within 5 yrs nobody remembers them. Backstreet who?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I do, too. That, and the reality stars. We certainly are a stupid society to let these idiots rule the airwaves.

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:07 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I get tired of how the media tries to "make" these people into the "next thing" and within 5 yrs nobody remembers them. Backstreet who?

The Backstreet Boys are actually still around, so that wouldn't be my first example. But I know what you mean! Look at all these people from those casting shows that land a number 1 Single and then nobody ever hears from them again.... it's terrible! IMO, you could just give all those one hit wonder songs to 1 artist, that way there'd be one person with lots of success instead of many persons with little success.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Is it Over for Lady Gaga? Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:08 pm

ps: I think O'Reilly is wrong on Lady Gaga. Unlike many other singers, Lady Gaga writes her own Lyrics and songs... that's a talent not many people have anymore. Any record company would be more than stupid to let her go under, she's definitely a cash cow!
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

True. And then with as much money as she has made, she could create her own record company

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Cookie Parker wrote:I do, too. That, and the reality stars. We certainly are a stupid society to let these idiots rule the airwaves.

I don't watch realty shows. My own life is fucked up enough. I don't need to see how fucked up other people's lives are. ROFL

But I believe this country is off the deep end when it comes to movie stars and musicians. They prop them up on too high of a stool.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:39 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:The Backstreet Boys are actually still around, so that wouldn't be my first example. But I know what you mean! Look at all these people from those casting shows that land a number 1 Single and then nobody ever hears from them again.... it's terrible! IMO, you could just give all those one hit wonder songs to 1 artist, that way there'd be one person with lots of success instead of many persons with little success.

I know they're still around. But nobody cares anymore. Snicker

IMO, the staying power of certain singers or groups gives one a view on how good they are. Currently, I've been watching the newest DVD by the group Rush. They still play the big hockey arenas after all these years. One may not like the tunes or type of music, but th fact that they can still play before 18,000 any given night says a lot.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
ps: I think O'Reilly is wrong on Lady Gaga. Unlike many other singers, Lady Gaga writes her own Lyrics and songs... that's a talent not many people have anymore. Any record company would be more than stupid to let her go under, she's definitely a cash cow!

I just did a quick Wikipedia look and you're right. Both of her albums show her to be co-writer on most of her songs.

That's what irritates me about country music (which I do like some of). Most artists use outside writers for their songs. Alan Jackson writes most of his stuff. George Strait (my fave) does not... except on his new album, he does.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:02 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:The Backstreet Boys are actually still around, so that wouldn't be my first example. But I know what you mean! Look at all these people from those casting shows that land a number 1 Single and then nobody ever hears from them again.... it's terrible! IMO, you could just give all those one hit wonder songs to 1 artist, that way there'd be one person with lots of success instead of many persons with little success.

I know they're still around. But nobody cares anymore. Snicker

IMO, the staying power of certain singers or groups gives one a view on how good they are. Currently, I've been watching the newest DVD by the group Rush. They still play the big hockey arenas after all these years. One may not like the tunes or type of music, but th fact that they can still play before 18,000 any given night says a lot.

They still tour the world and you'd be surprised how many people still go see them. I don't know why you'd pay money to see them, but some people still do... Slap Forehead

And you're right. I saw the Eagles not that long ago and their show was just top knotch. There were also plenty of people my age there. The classic bands still gain new listeners every year.

TexasBlue wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

I just did a quick Wikipedia look and you're right. Both of her albums show her to be co-writer on most of her songs.

That's what irritates me about country music (which I do like some of). Most artists use outside writers for their songs. Alan Jackson writes most of his stuff. George Strait (my fave) does not... except on his new album, he does.

Yup. That's the reason why some people argued that she'd be more successful than Madonna.

It's not only country music, it's modern music in general.... except for Hip Hop, for obvious reasons. But at least most country stars still play instruments...
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Country music ain't country music anymore.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down