:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Obama: No exemption on rule for birth control

Post by TexasBlue on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:40 am

Obama: No exemption on rule for birth control

Robert Pear
New York Times
January 20, 2012

WASHINGTON - The Obama administration said Friday that health insurance plans must cover contraceptives for women without charge, and it rejected a broad exemption sought by the Roman Catholic Church for insurance provided to employees of Catholic hospitals, colleges and charities.

But the administration said it would give some employers affiliated with churches an extra year to comply, meaning that coverage would not begin for their employees until well after the 2012 elections.

Church leaders had personally appealed to President Obama to grant the exemption, and he made the final decision after hearing all points of view, administration officials said. In issuing the rule Friday, Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, said it "strikes the appropriate balance between respecting religious freedom and increasing access to important preventive services."

"This rule will provide women with greater access to contraception by requiring coverage and by prohibiting cost-sharing," she said.

Special deadline: August 2013

The rule includes an exemption for certain religious employers, but the exemption is so narrow that some church groups said it was almost meaningless. A religious employer cannot qualify for the exemption if it employs or serves large numbers of people of different faiths, as many Catholic hospitals, universities and social service agencies do.

Most insurers will have to comply by Aug. 1, but the administration said it would give these nonprofit church-affiliated employers an extra year to come into compliance.

"Nonprofit employers who, based on religious beliefs, do not currently provide contraceptive coverage in their insurance plan will be provided an additional year, until Aug. 1, 2013, to comply," Sebelius said. "This additional year will allow these organizations more time and flexibility to adapt to this new rule."

Decision may delay court test

The delay could also put off any court test of the rule. Last week, the Supreme Court, in an unrelated case, broadened an exemption under the First Amendment that protects religious institutions from employment-discrimination suits brought by employees with ministerial duties. The 2010 health care law says insurers must cover "preventive health services" and cannot charge for them.

The new rule interprets this mandate. It requires coverage of the full range of contraceptive methods approved by the Food and Drug Administration without charging a deductible or a co-payment. Among the drugs and devices that must be covered are emergency contraceptives including pills known as ella and Plan B. The rule also requires coverage of sterilization procedures for women without co-payments, deductibles or other charges.

The issue forced Obama to weigh competing claims of Catholic leaders and advocates for women's rights, including some of his strongest supporters. The administration said in August that it intended to require coverage of contraceptives for women without charge. But it reconsidered its plans after protests from the Catholic Church and many Republicans in Congress.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops had called the requirement "an unprecedented attack on religious liberty." But Jon O'Brien, president of Catholics for Choice, called it "a victory for common sense and scientific advice in the interests of the common good."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m not in favor of fairness. I’m in favor of freedom, and freedom is not fairness. Fairness means somebody has to decide what’s fair.” - Milton Friedman
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama: No exemption on rule for birth control

Post by TexasBlue on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:44 am

The Obama administration said Friday that health insurance plans must cover contraceptives for women without charge....

Naturally. Free stuff for everyone courtesy of Barack Obama! Promising free stuff to people is how he got elected. And now millions of women will now qualify for free! birth control pills from Barack Obama and I'm sure that will not influence their voting decision at all.... will it??

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Somebody will have to pay for this. But who? Everyone else. That's who. You, me and everyone else will have to pay for this.

First he signs the NDAA, which guts the 4th Amendment right to due process. Now he's making certain religious beliefs illegal, gutting the 1st Amendment. Better hurry, Obama.... only a year to go to work on the 2nd and 5th.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m not in favor of fairness. I’m in favor of freedom, and freedom is not fairness. Fairness means somebody has to decide what’s fair.” - Milton Friedman
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Arx Ferrum on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:57 am

As a partaker in the role of human reproduction... and speaking from the male side of the equation and as a father of more than one daughter, I find no problem with 'The Pill'. Moreover, it does not conflict with my faith or politics so...

As far as it being made free?

One of my biggest gripes with the hard left liberal ideal is that it happily removes the article of personal responsibility and acceptance of consequences. In its place, we have government making excuses for poor personal habits and all those consequences we should be learning from. If we don't get a lesson from our mistakes, we will continue to make them and perhaps, get ourselves in even worse positions.
Arx Ferrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 pm

He does anything to get votes.
Mark85la

Birthday : 1985-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Arx Ferrum wrote:As a partaker in the role of human reproduction... and speaking from the male side of the equation and as a father of more than one daughter, I find no problem with 'The Pill'. Moreover, it does not conflict with my faith or politics so...

As far as it being made free?

One of my biggest gripes with the hard left liberal ideal is that it happily removes the article of personal responsibility and acceptance of consequences. In its place, we have government making excuses for poor personal habits and all those consequences we should be learning from. If we don't get a lesson from our mistakes, we will continue to make them and perhaps, get ourselves in even worse positions.

I have no problem with birth control either. I'm not religious nor Catholic by nature. My big problem here is the lack of exemptions to those religious organizations.... picking "winners and losers" so to speak.

And then again, the part where anybody and everybody is covered. No more worrying about getting pregnant anymore. Just do it.

TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Arx Ferrum on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:24 pm

... the part where anybody and everybody is covered. No more worrying about getting pregnant anymore. Just do it.

It never occurred to me back... way back then, that all the 'free love' thinking was political. It was the age of Aquarius and as a young man caught up in the tides of my own drives, I simply slipped in and joined the flow.

That is the beauty of being young.

Winston Churchill's quote...

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”

This is who and what we are. We gain knowledge from school... but wisdom comes from age and experience. Today, that is the basic dividion still. And you know what? Those who do Obama today will someday evolve into conservatives.

That's just life, yall.

Anyway, once again, we find ourselves divided by approach and age... where we are no longer young enough to know everything and they, the younger ones captivated by the liberal agenda, have no idea of what life really is after youth.

The youth vote is used... it is molded and prepped and applied. It generally does not win a major election but it can alter a direction. many of my age who once marched against war and smoked pot and... well, generally misbehaved, are the ones who today are the most avid conservatives.

Hey kid, don't touch that hot iron, don't finger the electric socket... don't listen to the idiot named Obama!

You do the best you can but... they gotta learn on their own.
Arx Ferrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down