Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach

3 posters

:: Miscellaneous :: Vent!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Empty Re: Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:01 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:And yeah, he did have some facts, but IMO they were irrelevant, while the non-facts he was saying were outright lies.
I know... watch any debate on climate change between me and him. He keeps flying off onto tangents about cap and trade and ignores all of the science I present him with in favour of ranting about losing freedoms, the Constitution and magically self-evaporating water causing the climate to warm. I see no reason to believe it is going to change any time soon.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Empty Re: Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:03 pm

TexasBlue wrote:The funniest (and sickest) one i saw was i'd smell her ass ROFL
What about "I'd hit that"? yeah? You want to punch her in the face?!
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:17 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Personally I thought it was funny. Arguably, dblboggie was trolling. What he said was out of order as well as factually incorrect. How can he expect not to get a rise when he attacked Obama as a Marxist, sneered at Europe and "Social Democracy" and then flew off into a rant? I don't know what he is smoking while he is away but every time he comes back he is that little bit more paranoid than before.
I should respond to something Tex said in here yesterday about Moony. I actually didn't know that he couldn't ban people. I know that moderators of the various sections aren't necessarily created equal, but I figured they could all do the "basics" (like banning people within their section). So yeah, in that respect I can see how his job could be a difficult one. But at the same time, I think he was being a major hypocrite for attacking me, while IMO letting dbl off. As The_Amber_Spyglass said, his post was trolling in itself. And then Moony called me out for my rant being the "first post in the section for two months". What about dbl's rant being his first post in there for some time as well? More hypocrisy. Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes That's why I felt justified stomping on Moony. Overall, I do like Moony but I thought he was way out of line yesterday.

And as I've thought about it from that perspective, I've basically come to the conclusion that conflict is probably what that forum (and especially that section) actually wants. Of course I do think the politics section can be "food for discussion". But I think the powers-that-be in the forum actually prefer it to be like it is - for entertainment purposes only. After all, SP is a picture forum, first and foremost. Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Icon_razz
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:Anyway, i'm getting off-topic (slaps self) Slap
Final warning Tex. Any more and I'll ban your ass!

- The Mod

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Hee hee. Off topic is allowed here.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:I know... watch any debate on climate change between me and him. He keeps flying off onto tangents about cap and trade and ignores all of the science I present him with in favour of ranting about losing freedoms, the Constitution and magically self-evaporating water causing the climate to warm. I see no reason to believe it is going to change any time soon.

I can't wait till he gets his personal issues taken care of and jumps back into the debate realm. It's fun watching him and you go round and round.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:31 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:Anyway, i'm getting off-topic (slaps self) Slap
Final warning Tex. Any more and I'll ban your ass!

- The Mod

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Hee hee. Off topic is allowed here.
Awww, spoil sport. I just wanted some fun!
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:04 pm

ROFL

You can't censor me anyway. But you wouldn't need to in here anyhow. lol

But i am a spoiled sport. Very Happy
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Have you seen Twerkers insane statements in there? It's unreal. I don't know how Moon let's all that shit slide by. Plus, i don't know how the liberals in there stay silent. At least I used to call EE_EE on his bullshit.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 pm

I eased myself out of that one. At first, MDanel93 made himself look like an idiot banging on about liberal bias in universities, but Twerker ruined it by descending into rant. I said my piece, I'm just going to let them go at it now.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Imo, Twerker ruined it all from the get go. Remember, this is a guy who told me he was an "independent" and then a couple days ago says he's a "proud progressive"

The point isn't about what the subject was. It was his insane attacks (shooting conservatives in the head) and bullshit like that. We can debate topics subjects all day long. I was pointing out the loose screw in his head with his insane statements. It took the mod over to slap him into place. Nobody else would.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:18 pm

I see that one thread (where I told dbl and Moony off) is still going, and I see that dbl is still up to his tricks... Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Icon_razz And that's what I wanted to comment about - not about him per se (even though he makes a very easy target) but about most of the comments in there - and really, in most threads in that section... My point is, I see people going into threads with an already conceived idea (or perception) and they are not about to stray from it. I would also say that everyone (including me) is guilty of it to various degrees. Let's face it, we're set in our ways... Okay, even given that I think there can still be debate. But some people just refuse to acknowledge that someone else may have a point - or that they're flat wrong. And then they get defensive. IMO, that's when it all falls apart - and again I think dbl is a master of it. He attacks, attacks and attacks but when someone bites back (with facts) he runs and hides. Again, he's certainly not the only one who does that. He just uses (by far) the most heated rhetoric in his attacks. That's my main problem with him and others. If people won't listen to other opinions then what's the point? And as I said before, I think Mooney (and all the moderators in there) prefer things to be like that. Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Icon_neutral
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Forums That Don't Practice What They Preach - Page 2 Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm

One thing you need to understand (and Matt, too) is that Dbl ran into some financial problems last October. He's without internet at home. So, he's relegated to using public computers (library) or his sisters. So, understand that when you think he's "running away and hiding", he's just not online. That's the honest truth. I sent him a PM a few days ago and it took him 4 days to read it. Usually he's right on it under normal circumstances. This is why Moon is the mod now... because Dbl disappeared for a month and nobody knew where he was and the politics section was falling apart with no moderation.

I also have to make a point here. There's not many conservatives posting on a regular basis over there. That's a fact. some stay in the religion section. Some pop in from time to time. Most don't hang out on a regular basis. This is THE reason i quit posting over there. I got tired of debating and 3 people gang up on you. It gets old. I can hold my own on political debates, but when you get piled on, it gets old quickly. Just imagine if you were the only liberal in (you are ROFL ) and 5 cons were hammering on you all the time, you'd get tired of it and leave.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:06 pm

TexasBlue wrote:One thing you need to understand (and Matt, too) is that Dbl ran into some financial problems last October.
I sympathise but there are a lot of people in that situation, including myself. I finished a post-graduate degree last September with massive student debts and little means to pay them off, having to struggle on £400 per month between us. I blame our government and unfettered greed for letting this situation happen in the first place but what he is doing over there is an uncontrolled rant about supposed reds under the bed who are out to get him personally.

TexasBlue wrote:Just imagine if you were the only liberal in (you are ROFL ) and 5 cons were hammering on you all the time, you'd get tired of it and leave.
It hasn't always been that way. Go back 12 months and you will see that I was in the same boat, being villified and called an idiot, being patronised by a group of conservatives, including dblboggie himself, for the climate science data I was posting.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:31 pm

I sympathise but there are a lot of people in that situation, including myself. I finished a post-graduate degree last September with massive student debts and little means to pay them off, having to struggle on £400 per month between us. I blame our government and unfettered greed for letting this situation happen in the first place but what he is doing over there is an uncontrolled rant about supposed reds under the bed who are out to get him personally

We (and i) understand all that. But my whole point is that he's not always able to access the 'net to argue with you. That's what i'm trying to convey. I'm not taking his side (or any side). I'm just stating a fact. I don't know how bad his financial situation is. He doesn't tell me everything. In fact, i haven't had a PM from him in over a month.

So, if he makes a post and doesn't come back to answer your rebuttal, that's why.

It hasn't always been that way. Go back 12 months and you will see that I was in the same boat, being villified and called an idiot, being patronised by a group of conservatives, including dblboggie himself, for the climate science data I was posting.

Dbl is probably the only con that argued with you on AGW in a meaningful way. Grubber just threw out dumb stuff to make an invalid point.

Even if you disagree with Dbl on AGW, he does debate you on it. I don't for reasons that we've already discussed. It'd be like you debating me on the trucking industry. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 am

TexasBlue wrote:Dbl is probably the only con that argued with you on AGW in a meaningful way.
In what way was his rant two days ago meaningful? He just copied and pasted the same stuff he always posts, stuff I have rebutted time and time again, with links to academic resources, models, graphs and clear explanations about how climate data works. He never paid attention to it and instead of dealing with it (back when he did have net access) all he did was patronise me that there was a conspiracy going on and I was naive not to see it. If he cannot back up his claims, and deal with the SCIENCE I presented him with, then he ought to stop making those same claims otherwise I'm just going to call him a liar and ignore him, as I have done with oracle71 and moviefan2k4. Now he is not in their league as far as crass ignorance goes but I'm starting to get the impression that he doesn't want honest debate and prefers to make unqualified cheap shots.

TexasBlue wrote: Grubber just threw out dumb stuff to make an invalid point.
He quickly found his way onto my ignore list.

TexasBlue wrote:Even if you disagree with Dbl on AGW, he does debate you on it.
Well I would like to see some progress some time soon. I get tired of repeating the same old sources over and over again.

TexasBlue wrote:I don't for reasons that we've already discussed. It'd be like you debating me on the trucking industry. ROFL
That never stopped 1oldminer though Razz
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 pm

What i mean by meaningful is that he debates you on a sane level. You may not like what he says whether it's truthful or half-truths but he doesn't act like Grubber and a couple others in there. I've seen you two have good debates, heated, but good debates. It doesn't matter to me whether he's wrong. He doesn't call you names and throw out absolute bullshit. You two make your points.

Again, my point was all about why he doesn't come back for days or weeks at a time.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:37 pm

TexasBlue wrote:What i mean by meaningful is that he debates you on a sane level. You may not like what he says whether it's truthful or half-truths but he doesn't act like Grubber and a couple others in there.
Ah yeah, got you. I can't disagree with that.

TexasBlue wrote:Again, my point was all about why he doesn't come back for days or weeks at a time.
He certainly makes his mark when he does come back!
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:57 pm

You two cross heads big time on that issue. I'm not going to argue the validity of either point. But you have to admit, he is well-learned in politics. Yeah, he spouts off on some issues like a rabid right winger (Marxist, etc) but many other points (relating to our political system) is pretty much full of merit. You get guys like Twerker or Grubber who throw out that day's talking points and they leave it at that. At least Dbl throws in concrete proof of things like, for instance, what things Obama has said or has done... documented. But on AGW? I'll sit on the sidelines. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't doubt his knowledge of US Politics one iota. But outside of that, he is pretty limited and I think he knows it. That is why he approaches climate change from a political angle only and blatantly ignores the science (you can't deny that he does ignore all of the data and models I post).

I won't deny I've had some interesting discussions with him though.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:05 pm

He's basically a good guy. He's like Bubbles.... he can disagree with you and be civil.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: Miscellaneous :: Vent!

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum