D'oh! Vatican declares Bart and Homer Simpson Catholic

:: Main :: Religion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 pm

CNN
Hada Messia

Homer Simpson - perhaps the most profane character and worst father ever to headline a mainstream American television program - is Catholic, the Vatican's official newspaper has declared.

"Few know it, and he does all he can to hide it. But it is true," Luca Possati writes in Sunday's Osservatore Romano.

OK, Homer snores through the Rev. Lovejoy's sermons.

Yes, he relentlessly humiliates his evangelical Christian neighbor Ned Flanders.

But the show is one of the few in American life that takes religion seriously, a Jesuit is arguing - from grace before meals to an (admittedly off-kilter) belief in the afterlife.

The article riffs on the 2005 episode "The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star," in which Homer and Bart flirt with the idea of converting to Catholicism (and Homer makes an outrageous confession).

Homer decides against it with "a cathartic D'oh!," Possati writes. But the Rev. Francesco Occhetta praises the episode - and the series –anyway, Possati writes.

Occhetta wrote about The Simpsons in the most recent edition of Italian Jesuit magazine Civilita Cattolica, Possati says.

Creator Matt Groening's "surreal comedy, pungent satire and sarcasm about the worst taboos of the American Way of Life" opens "anthropological themes that are tied to the meaning and quality of life," he says.

"The moral message? None," the Vatican newspaper concludes. "But a world without easy illusions is a more humane and perhaps more Christian world."

Back to top Go down

Re: D'oh! Vatican declares Bart and Homer Simpson Catholic

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Perhaps there is little to say here, but admittedly I'm amused by this. I am not an avid Simpson's watcher- perhaps some of you here are, but nothing I've really ever seen of the show indicates that the family has any religious affiliation at all. At least nothing that they would actually observe.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind is this- Why would anyone really take the time to analyze a show that has very little to do with religion (Although there is plenty of social commentary within the show, it doesn't promote a single religion) and make conclusions like this?

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 pm

v wrote:What I'm trying to wrap my mind is this- Why would anyone really take the time to analyze a show that has very little to do with religion (Although there is plenty of social commentary within the show, it doesn't promote a single religion) and make conclusions like this?

That's religion for ya.
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:55 pm

v wrote:Perhaps there is little to say here, but admittedly I'm amused by this. I am not an avid Simpson's watcher- perhaps some of you here are, but nothing I've really ever seen of the show indicates that the family has any religious affiliation at all. At least nothing that they would actually observe.

What I'm trying to wrap my mind is this- Why would anyone really take the time to analyze a show that has very little to do with religion (Although there is plenty of social commentary within the show, it doesn't promote a single religion) and make conclusions like this?
I used to love the Simpsons specifically because they took relevant issues (i.e. social commentary) and made it humorous. IMO, that's what made the show great. I must disagree with the article though. Even though they had plenty of "politics" in the show, they seemed to steer clear of religion. Even the Lovejoy character dealt with "social issues" more than anything else. I don't recall anyone mentioning "faith" on the show either. Whistle

As for the Simpsons now, I haven't watched since about 2000. It stopped being funny, IMO. Sleep
i_luv_miley

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 pm

So, you were a big Simpson's fan, eh ILH?

Guess what I have? I have a script from one of their shows that is signed by Matt Groening (with a picture of Bart that he drew on the cover) and is also signed by the entire cast. And what's more, I got that by attending a table read with all the actors and writers of the show... Nod2

Wonder what that would go for on E-Bay?
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:53 pm

ILM will trade all his Miley cd's for that, Dbl! ROFL
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Snicker I'm sure he would... but I ain't trading...

dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 pm

Naw, he ain't giving up Miley just yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’m not in favor of fairness. I’m in favor of freedom, and freedom is not fairness. Fairness means somebody has to decide what’s fair.” - Milton Friedman
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 am

i_luv_miley wrote:I used to love the Simpsons specifically because they took relevant issues (i.e. social commentary) and made it humorous. IMO, that's what made the show great. I must disagree with the article though. Even though they had plenty of "politics" in the show, they seemed to steer clear of religion. Even the Lovejoy character dealt with "social issues" more than anything else. I don't recall anyone mentioning "faith" on the show either.

Huh? Religion was a major topic in plenty of episodes.

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:39 pm

TexasBlue wrote:ILM will trade all his Miley cd's for that, Dbl! ROFL
No he won't. I don't like Bart that much. lol!
i_luv_miley

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:ILM will trade all his Miley cd's for that, Dbl! ROFL
No he won't. I don't like Bart that much. lol!

Snicker
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top