Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

4 posters

:: General :: History

Go down

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Empty German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

Post by BubbleBliss Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

Archeologists in Germany have discovered a 2,600-year-old Celtic tomb containing ornate jewellery of gold and amber. They say the grave is unusually well preserved and should provide important insights into early Celtic culture.

German archeologists have unearthed a 2,600-year-old Celtic tomb containing a treasure of jewellery made of gold, amber and bronze.

The subterranean chamber measuring four by five meters was uncovered near the prehistoric Heuneburg hill fort near the town of Herbertingen in south-western Germany. Its contents including the oak floor of the room are unusually well preserved. The find is a "milestone for the reconstruction of the social history of the Celts," archeologist Dirk Krausse, the director of the dig, said on Tuesday.

The intact oak should allow archeologists to ascertain the precise age of the tomb through tree-ring dating. This is rarely possible with Celtic finds because the Celts left behind no writings and their buildings, usually made from wood and clay, have long since crumbled away.

A Vital Trading Center

Krausse said the artefacts found suggest that a woman from the Heuneburg aristocracy was buried there, but added that laboratory tests will need to be conducted to be certain. Only a small part of the chamber has so far been examined.

The entire room weighing some 80 tons was lifted by two cranes onto a flatbed truck and taken to a research facility in Ludwigsburg on Tuesday. The results of the analysis will be presented in June 2011, researchers said.

Heuneburg is regarded as one of the most important Celtic settlements and was a vital trading center during the period between 620 and 480 BC. Intensive excavation has taken place at the site since 1950. Other tombs found at Heuneburg over the decades had already been plundered.

The tomb and the objects are to go on show in an exhibition in Stuttgart in 2012.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Junmem10

Back to top Go down

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Empty Re: German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

Post by dblboggie Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Wow! That is a fascinating find! Where does this story come from and where can I find out more about it?
dblboggie
dblboggie

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Senmem10

Back to top Go down

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Empty Re: German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:11 am

I got this story from a German newspaper where I get all my articles from. http://www.spiegel.de/international/ is their website.

Here is another story about this:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/301882

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 am

dblboggie wrote:Wow! That is a fascinating find! Where does this story come from and where can I find out more about it?
If you want the fill site report, an average wait for publication is usually about 3 years Very Happy

Though I take exception to the use of the word "Celtic".

bubblebliss wrote:
The tomb and the objects are to go on show in an exhibition in Stuttgart in 2012.
Easyjet fly to Stuttgart? See you there...
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm

You won't come to Minnesota and go with me to watch the Vikings play but you'll go to Stuttgart to look at archeology? I'm insulted now. Big Grin

Last edited by TexasBlue on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling (again))
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Of course, it would be a professional trip to Germany, not to mention a cheaper trip Very Happy
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Some pal you are. Poke
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

German Archeologists Uncover Celtic Treasure   Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:45 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:

bubblebliss wrote:
Easyjet fly to Stuttgart? See you there...

I study an hour away from Stuttgart, so yes, I will see you there! Thumbs Up
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down