Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama expands offshore drilling

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama expands offshore drilling

Post by TexasBlue Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

My point in temp job is about the economy right now. It's not a viable indicator of overall employment. Temp jobs are good for the employee (money) and the employer (getting work done) but not good for the long term. A real good example is the census jobs right now. After July, they'll be out of work again. The economy needs business friendly things done... things to make business hire and expand. If they don't expand, then there's no need for hiring. Yours is a different situation because of college at the time. And you made a good point by adding on they won't hire you full time because they know you're out of there after graduating.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Admin210

Back to top Go down

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama expands offshore drilling

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Temp jobs aren't going to pay off the debt if that's what your getting at. The money that anyone makes in a temp job isn't that much. Census workers are making about $15 an hour. I made $15 an hour at my last job and didn't break $40,000 for the last year i was there. These people will more than likely have dependents. They'll have deductions. Their deductions will see to it that they don't pay any taxes. Read my other post from the AP on the bottom 40% and the top 73%. Temp jobs aren't going to do sh!t. Why you can't get that thru your head is beyond me. They'll be unemployed again no later than July... earlier for others.

Good lord. I'm not gonna go through it again, Tex. Start reading the thread from the beginning and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not talking taxes, I'm not talking paying off the debt, I'm talking about people spending money so that businesses will hire again. The more money is in circulation, the more jobs there are. Temporary jobs circulate money, so new jobs are being created.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 pm

I got all that and it's a moot point if it's a temp job. You know the definition of temporary, don't you? I understand what you mean and i'm not demeaning temp jobs/workers. I'm just starting it for what it is.

You misunderstand me so much at times. I guess i should make myself more clear.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 pm

How is it a moot point?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Just told you.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 am

TexasBlue wrote:My point in temp job is about the economy right now. It's not a viable indicator of overall employment. Temp jobs are good for the employee (money) and the employer (getting work done) but not good for the long term. A real good example is the census jobs right now. After July, they'll be out of work again. The economy needs business friendly things done... things to make business hire and expand. If they don't expand, then there's no need for hiring. Yours is a different situation because of college at the time. And you made a good point by adding on they won't hire you full time because they know you're out of there after graduating.
I disagree. Their contracts might end in July but who is to say that they won't immediately find another temporary job? As the economy improves, agencies in particular experience a boom as businesses find they have an increased workload but don't want to go to the expense of hiring somebody permanently. Short term contracts are going to be the norm while the recovery takes hold. Like I said, when I was temping my actual employer was a recruitment agency. Often, as one contract ended, they found me another within days.

Who is to say that a lot of these jobs won't end up leading to permanent jobs or recommendations for other departments? Businesses do like to keep temps for as long as they possibly can and if necessary, will find them work in other departments. That is exactly what happened to me between December 2007 and May 2009. I was in almost constant employment but never stayed in the same place for more than a few weeks. Between December 08-April 09, I worked temporary at a hospital and in that time got moved around three departments. Whenever I got laid off by one because they no longer had any work, another would hear about it, call the agency and ask if I could spend a few weeks working with them.

Last edited by The_Amber_Spyglass on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 am

TexasBlue wrote:I got all that and it's a moot point if it's a temp job. You know the definition of temporary, don't you? I understand what you mean and i'm not demeaning temp jobs/workers. I'm just starting it for what it is.

You misunderstand me so much at times. I guess i should make myself more clear.
I think you are taking the definition of a temporary contract too literally. They can be extended at a moment's notice and in a period of economic recovery (which we actually seem to be in right now), usually are extended.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Obama expands offshore drilling - Page 2 Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum