Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studying one of world's oldest beers

5 posters

Go down

Studying one of world's oldest beers Empty Studying one of world's oldest beers

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:37 am

This is one piece of research I find vital to the future of humanity.

In the summer of 2010 in the Åland archipelago, divers retrieved well-preserved bottles of champagne and five bottles of beer from the wreck of a ship that likely sank during the first half of 1800s. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland will determine what kind of a recipe was used in the brewing of the beer and what kind of yeast caused the fermentation process. The beer in question is one of the world's oldest preserved beers, and the Provincial Government of Åland is interested in its reproduction.

The Provincial Government of Åland has delivered one of the retrieved bottles of beer to VTT, where its analysis has just begun. VTT will study what microbes - for example, yeast or lactic acid bacteria - remain in the beer. DNA analyses also allow the study of dead cells. Additionally, VTT will use chemical analyses to determine what kind of raw materials were used in the brewing of the beer.

"It is very interesting to find out what kind of yeast was used in beer brewing in the early 1800s, and what the beer's quality was like. Was it perhaps very strong and bitter? The role of yeast in beer brewing was not yet fully understood in the early 1800s", says Annika Wilhelmson, Customer Manager at VTT.

"What we want to do first of all is to analyze the contents of the bottles. After that, we hope to be able to recreate the original recipe so that it can be used to make beer", says Rainer Juslin, Department Head at the Provincial Government of Åland.

VTT has decades of experience in malt and brewery research. VTT's expertise in, for example, proteomics and DNA will be utilized in the project.

http://www.geneticarchaeology.com/research/Studying_one_of_worlds_oldest_beers.asp
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Studying one of world's oldest beers Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Studying one of world's oldest beers Empty Re: Studying one of world's oldest beers

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:18 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:. VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland will determine what kind of a recipe was used in the brewing of the beer and what kind of yeast caused the fermentation process. The beer in question is one of the world's oldest preserved beers, and the Provincial Government of Åland is interested in its reproduction.

[/url]
[/quote]

Wouldn't have this problem if it was a German beer. Big Grin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot --> "In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops." and "The law originated in the city of Ingolstadt in the duchy of Bavaria on 23 April 1516, although first put forward in 1487,[1] concerning standards for the sale and composition of beer."
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Studying one of world's oldest beers Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Studying one of world's oldest beers Empty Re: Studying one of world's oldest beers

Post by TexasBlue Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:41 am

Here's the beer I drank when I was over there in Deutschland.

Studying one of world's oldest beers Becks10
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Studying one of world's oldest beers Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:50 am

I bow to the German method of making superior lager. I hope to go to Oktoberfest one day,
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:21 am

I know there's better beer than Beck's but I liked it. In fact, I bought it here when I came home. It took me over two years to get used to American beer again.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:29 am

Beck's is one of the worst beers you can get in Germany.... well depending on where you are in Germany. In Munich, everybody drinks bavarian beer, which is rated as the best beer in the world. The Munich breweries (who also supply the Oktoberfest with beer, Matt) are world famous for their beer, even though they're not really that big and you can't get their beer all over the world like you can with Heineken or Becks.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 am

It surely wouldn't be one of "the world's oldest beers" though if it only dated to the 1800s though. Didn't the Sumerians drink beer c. 5000 BC?

I was in San Francisco last September and I went into this Belgian ale house for dinner. The beer list was incredible, I'd never seen anything like it. It was literally a book with about 30 pages, most of which were Belgian beers in alphabetical order. I only had two beers and I was practically staggering back to my hotel. Shit was strong!

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 am

No, 1800s isn't old at all...

http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/index2.html?lang=eng
That's the oldest brewery in the world. It also makes some of the best beer I've ever tasted.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:09 pm

I realized after I made that post that the article meant it was one of the world's oldest preserved beers, i.e. it's still there to drink.

About that link you link: do Germans really like that much head on their beer? When I pour beer I angle the glass so as to minimize the head.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:12 pm

In recent years I have gone off of lager, though I do still like the occasional pilsner. I'm more into locally produced British ales.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm not keen on lager any more - at least not the mass produced stuff; the possible exceptions to that would be Carlsberg Export, Grolsch and Peroni - but most of it tastes bloody awful to me now. Since I started drinking ale, I can really taste the chemicals they put in lager and it's disgusting. I am generally getting far too fussy when it comes to drink, soon I won't be drinking anything but wine.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:54 pm

kronos wrote:I realized after I made that post that the article meant it was one of the world's oldest preserved beers, i.e. it's still there to drink.

About that link you link: do Germans really like that much head on their beer? When I pour beer I angle the glass so as to minimize the head.

Depends on the beer really. If I may elaborate.... Very Happy

The wheat beer, like this one.. Studying one of world's oldest beers Weihenspehanweisse
... you drink with a lot of foam on it. It requires a certain technique to pour it as well. You rinse the glass out first, then you angle it, pour it in and before you pour it all out, when there's just a little left, you shake/twirl the bottle to get the rest of the yeast out, then you pour the rest.
A lager like this one... Studying one of world's oldest beers Augustiner_edelstoff_flasche_glas you drink with a little foam. If there's no foam, it's probably because they glass isn't clean... or because you poured it wrong. If there's no foam, it also looks like apple juice and nobody wants that. The same goes for Pilsner or any other "clear" beer.

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:43 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
Beck's is one of the worst beers you can get in Germany.... well depending on where you are in Germany. In Munich, everybody drinks bavarian beer, which is rated as the best beer in the world. The Munich breweries (who also supply the Oktoberfest with beer, Matt) are world famous for their beer, even though they're not really that big and you can't get their beer all over the world like you can with Heineken or Becks.

You have to remember also that I was near Bremen when I was station there. Maybe Beck's is bigger up in the north?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:37 pm

It sure is. Pilsner is all they drink up there. One of the many disadvantages of the north of Germany. Also.... the weather. Big Grin Suicide
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:29 am

Believe it or not I had my first wheat beer in Canada. It was called Grasshopper. Very nice. Not a proper heffeweiss but a good intro

Studying one of world's oldest beers Grasshopper
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum