Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When I get mad at my PC

2 posters

Go down

When I get mad at my PC Empty When I get mad at my PC

Post by TexasBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 pm

When I get mad at my PC 11030410
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

When I get mad at my PC Admin210

Back to top Go down

When I get mad at my PC Empty Re: When I get mad at my PC

Post by dblboggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
When I get mad at my PC 11030410

Snicker That was a lot more prevalent in my early years of computing... but since Windows XP, those days are rare indeed.
dblboggie
dblboggie

When I get mad at my PC Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 pm

I was ready to do that today. Actually about 3 days ago, my firewall (Comodo) did a program update (not definitions update) and I haven't been able to shut my computer down. It would hang on the Saving Your Settings screen. So, I narrowed it down to the firewall. I installed ZoneAlarm (my old firewall) and things have been running okay since.

I was just about ready to do a repair install or just wipe the drive and start fresh.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I was ready to do that today. Actually about 3 days ago, my firewall (Comodo) did a program update (not definitions update) and I haven't been able to shut my computer down. It would hang on the Saving Your Settings screen. So, I narrowed it down to the firewall. I installed ZoneAlarm (my old firewall) and things have been running okay since.

I was just about ready to do a repair install or just wipe the drive and start fresh.

Yeah... those things will happen. I used ZoneAlarm for years. I still think it's the best one out there, though I no longer need a software firewall as I've been using a hardware firewall (my router) for the last 6 years or so.

dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 pm

dblboggie wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:I was ready to do that today. Actually about 3 days ago, my firewall (Comodo) did a program update (not definitions update) and I haven't been able to shut my computer down. It would hang on the Saving Your Settings screen. So, I narrowed it down to the firewall. I installed ZoneAlarm (my old firewall) and things have been running okay since.

Yeah... those things will happen. I used ZoneAlarm for years. I still think it's the best one out there, though I no longer need a software firewall as I've been using a hardware firewall (my router) for the last 6 years or so.

The local computer guy doesn't use a firewall either. He's an IT man by trade and says that if one has good surfing habits, all you need is the Windows default firewall.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
dblboggie wrote:

The local computer guy doesn't use a firewall either. He's an IT man by trade and says that if one has good surfing habits, all you need is the Windows default firewall.

Well he is right about that. I've done without a software firewall and without a anti-virus program now for six years... and I've not been hit with anything. But then I do practice safe surfing, and have for years.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:45 pm

dblboggie wrote:Well he is right about that. I've done without a software firewall and without a anti-virus program now for six years... and I've not been hit with anything. But then I do practice safe surfing, and have for years.

I'd go without a firewall before doing without an AV.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:17 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
dblboggie wrote:Well he is right about that. I've done without a software firewall and without a anti-virus program now for six years... and I've not been hit with anything. But then I do practice safe surfing, and have for years.

I'd go without a firewall before doing without an AV.

I understand... but I really do practice very safe surfing. I don't download anything executable... and there only a very limited and well known sites that I visit and know to be safe. It's worked for me for the last few years or so... Nod2
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:15 am

Not me. I visit the worst of everything. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down