Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire

4 posters

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Empty Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire

Post by TexasBlue Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire

Claire Shipman
ABC News
March 28, 2011

Would you buy your pre-teen daughter a push-up bikini top? One major retailer hopes you will.

Abercrombie & Fitch, a popular store among teenagers, recently introduced the "push-up triangle," marketing the swim top to girls as young as 7 or 8.

But of the parents "GMA" spoke to, the reaction was unanimous -- no one would buy one for their child.

"I won't be buying them for my 8-year-old," one parent said.

"I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it. Then, I realized, it's so crazy, it must be true," Dr. Michael Bradley, a child psychologist, told "Good Morning America" on Saturday.

Bradley said the American Psychological Association has warned in the past that retailers were going after young girls.

"They're targeting girls as young as age 4 to be sexualized creatures," Bradley said.

In response to the public outcry, Abercrombie renamed the top on its online store the "striped triangle." The padding remains, however, as does the outrage. Many viewers wrote in to the "GMA" shoutout board and Facebook page.

"Padded bathing suits for young school girls is vulgar," one person wrote. "Geez, we live in a scary society. I hope parents tell their children they are perfect the way they are!"

It's hardly the first time the racy company has strayed into controversial territory. A few years ago, Abercrombie offered thongs for the 10-year-old set with the words "wink, wink" stitched on the front. The company's advertisements have also raised concerns over the years for being too revealing.

And Abercrombie isn't alone. Earlier this year, Wal-Mart was criticized for its plans to introduce a line of make-up products directed at girls aged 8 to 12.

Abercrombie & Fitch Still Selling Padded Bikinis

Tweens spend roughly $24 million on beauty products each year.

Bradley said the consequences on young girls may be many.

"We're shaping their beliefs," he said. "We're actually teaching them that this is their primary value in this culture."

He also said it can shape their behavior, harms their body image and can add unnecessary anxiety.

The onus does lie with the parents, however, to keep their children out of the swimsuits, Bradley said. He advised to use the moment as a teaching moment if your child really wants the product. He said to avoid a shouting match by asking questions that spark a discussion.

"These guys really should be ashamed," said Bradley. "I hate to get this in their faces like that, but it's just wrong. It's hurting people."

Abercrombie has showed no signs they plan to pull the product from its store's shelves.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Admin210

Back to top Go down

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Empty Re: Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire

Post by TexasBlue Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:54 pm

This is what's wrong with society these days. Maybe it's my old fashioned thinking, but this is insane. Then people wonder why we have a pedo problem.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Empty Re: Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire

Post by BubbleBliss Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:49 pm

I agree with Tex. Whoever buys this stuff for their daughters has serious problems!
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 pm

This is seriously sick shit. What one earth would possess someone to manufacture something like this???

And what kind of a sick parent would buy their 7-year-old girl something like this?
dblboggie
dblboggie

Padded Bikini Top For 7-Year-Olds Draws Parents' Ire Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Now the fashion industry wants 7 year olds to feel anxious about their bodies. Good going guys, creating a whole new generation of paedophiles and anorexics.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:09 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Now the fashion industry wants 7 year olds to feel anxious about their bodies. Good going guys, creating a whole new generation of paedophiles and anorexics.

Seriously.... what the hell is wrong with these people?!?!
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I can see it now. My neighbors 7 yr old is going to start saying, "Look at my boobs!"
slapping head
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I can see it now. My neighbors 7 yr old is going to start saying, "Look at my boobs!"
slapping head

If your neighbor has a 7-year-old who has a sexual concept of "boobs" then child services might need to get involved there. Nod2
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Social Issues

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum