Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Much for Europe's Superiority

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

So Much for Europe's Superiority Empty So Much for Europe's Superiority

Post by TexasBlue Sun May 16, 2010 7:18 pm

So Much for Europe's Superiority

Joel Kotkin
Daily Beast
May 15, 2010

For much of the last quarter century, European pundits, particularly in France, have been promoting the notion that the old continent sat on the verge of a grand resurgence. The events of the past month—culminating in a trillion dollar rescue of the Euro—should, at least, put that dodgy notion to rest.

Although the financial crisis may have originated on Wall Street, it’s been Europe and the Euro that now represent the big threat to drive world markets back into recession. The show stealers are India, China and Brazil. Still the big boy on the block, the American economy is growing, albeit not spectacularly.

What a change from the heady predictions of the European elites just a decade ago. Back then Jacques Attali, eminence grise for former French President Francois Mitterrand, asserted that “Japan and Europe” would likely “supplant the United States as the chief superpowers wrangling for global economic supremacy.” More recently, author Jeremy Rifkin wrote a book about what he defined as The European Dream, a green-tinged, social democratic ode to enlightened diversity that he predicted would supplant the declining dirty, unruly model forged by the United States on the world stage.

You can blame the spendthrift Greeks for this trouble, or even the lack of geeks in Europe (anyone found a continental Google or Apple lately?). But Euro-stagnation is nothing new. It’s deeply rooted and longstanding. Indeed, since 1970 it has not been the U.S. that has faded before the onslaught from the East, but the core 15 nations of the European Union. Over that 40-year period the EU-15’s share of world GDP has plummeted from roughly 37 percent to under 28 percent; the American chunk, roughly 27 percent, has stayed remarkably even. Basically Asia, and particularly China and India’s gain, largely has been at Europe’s expense, not our's.

In stating the case for European superiority, much has been made by boosters of Europe’s different institutional framework, tax or regulatory structure. No question these have advantages and disadvantages compared with those of the United States, but there’s little case for arguing that the “Euro-model” has been a rip-roaring economic success. It’s imploding on its weak periphery, and the collapse is threatening even bigger players, including the United Kingdom.

Europe’s problems extend well beyond policy, into the realm of culture and demographics. Even in France, people and what they do actually matter more than abstract ideas. A culture that believes in itself, not only to have children, but also start businesses and innovate will overcome one, however theoretically well managed, that does not. This is the fundamental problem of Europe as whole, although it does not apply equally to every individual country in the union.

One key element is demographics. According to the most conservative estimates, the United States by 2050 will be home to at least 400 million people, roughly 100 million more than live here today. In contrast, the populations of much of the EU, as well as most of East Asia, will be stagnant or falling over the next few decades. Like other advanced countries, the United States will be aging but not nearly as quickly. By 2050, there may be close to 40 percent of the population in Japan and Germany over 65; in the United States that proportion should be closer to 25 percent.

If there’s going to be a European dream, they better start importing people or creating them. Otherwise, the European workforce will be dying out, literally. Between 2000 and 2050 the population of the U.S. between 14 and 64 is projected to expand by some 44 percent, while that of the EU contracts by 25 percent and Japan’s by over 40 percent.

With its growing workforce, the United States will require substantial economic growth in order to stave off downward mobility of its young population. Europe’s prime challenge will be to pay for its aging population with a diminished workforce, and perhaps find ways to invest in faster growth economies. Europe’s future may be as the world’s coupon-clippers, consultants and waiters.

Yet this may not be the fate of all Europe, particularly if the grand neo-Bonapartist European is allowed to fizzle and national characteristics can reassert themselves. The aptly named PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain) make clear that you can not enjoy a Scandinavian welfare state with a Mexican-style economy. You have to earn the right to six weeks of vacation and Porsche-level heath-care plans.

This contrasts with the productive, disciplined countries of the north—roughly today’s version of the Medieval Hanseatic League—who continue to export goods and services enough to sustain their expansive, and generally less corrupt, welfare states. Essentially you have the sunny, good food and times countries—an arc from Portugal to Spain—and the gloomier places like Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Germany.

A secular kind of Protestant ethic is alive and well in post-Christian Europe. In some countries like Sweden and Denmark, blond and red-haired baby-making is making a modest comeback, lifting the future prospects for these countries. As for the Mediterranean crowd, get used to African or Arab chefs cooking your pasta. It might not be too bad, as long as the weather holds up.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

So Much for Europe's Superiority Admin210

Back to top Go down

So Much for Europe's Superiority Empty Re: So Much for Europe's Superiority

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu May 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Obviously this is an article with an agenda to prove that the EU will not work. I actually disagree but clearly the Euro currency isn't working right now. I'm not convinced it was ever a good idea especially when too many weak economies were brought on board. Had it been limited to the stronger economies (France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria) it might now be a major currency. It expanded too much and toward too many economically poor countries such as Greece and some countries in eastern Europe. It might be too expensive to abandon it now but I'll bet some of those countries had wished they had been a little more exclusive.

The EU will recover from this and the lesson to learn is to be a little more careful about who is permitted to enter the Eurozone.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

So Much for Europe's Superiority Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu May 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I kinda figured you'd have an issue with that opinion piece. Very Happy

Actually, i posted it hopes you'd refute it as you did. But you seemed to agree with the guy in short.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri May 21, 2010 3:21 am

TexasBlue wrote:But you seemed to agree with the guy in short.
Yes and no. There are merits to it but the writer seems to be rubbing his/her hands with glee at the prospect of the EU and Euro currency collapse. That isn't going to happen but I think changes will happen in the coming years in order that the Eurozone (by Eurozone I mean countries that use the single currency) learns from these mistakes and becomes a little more restrictive regarding who would be allowed to enter the EU and a lot more scrutiny on the economies of countries wanting to move into the Eurozone.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am

I think it's the mindset of how some view the world. There are some that feel that there's a movement to create a 'one-world' entity. There's actually a movement of that sort. I don't believe Europe is in that mode. But given human nature, it could happen. This writer probably comes from that group of people. I'm in that mindset to a point. So, by his logic, he see's the shakeup over there as a result of trying to push a 'One-Europe' entity as going to sh!t.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 am

The only concession I would make to the 'one world' entity philosophy would be a single worldwide currency. Standardising currency, prices and wages the world over would (I feel) eliminate the majority of world poverty in a flash as currencies will not devalue at the cost of somebody else's getting stronger. Runaway inflation would also be minimised in such a world.

I don't think we are in any position to be moving toward that now but in the future it might work.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 10:48 am

I wouldn't allow for that. It creates too many problems.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30047877/ns/business-answer_desk/
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Well you know I never go in for the "trial by media" thing and I can't help feeling that is article is just a jingoistic opinion piece parading as an intelligent reflection, and it sort of misses the point a little sometimes. There are some good academic and economic arguments for a single worldwide currency, I'll find them and post them when I get the chance.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 12:18 pm

Okey dokey.

Btw, MSNBC is one of the most left leaning networks we have over here.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 24, 2010 12:40 pm

Doesn't mean they don't have an agenda, though I guess then that the "jingoistic" thing was misplaced. Either way, I do prefer an academic argument that a media driven one. Hence why when I'm discussing climate change I won't go near Al Gore or Greenpeace or other pressure groups.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Yeah, but the media is, and should, report things like this. This country won't go for a world currerncy.... unless you get rid of all independents and conservatives. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 24, 2010 12:48 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Yeah, but the media is, and should, report things like this.
Yeah I know, I just don't think much of modern journalism :p

TexasBlue wrote:This country won't go for a world currerncy
That's why I said we aren't nearly ready for it. I think it will happen one day, but only when we starting seeing ourselves in terms of a species, probably when we have colonised other worlds and politics and how we think about borders needs a radical rethink.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Basically, it isn't going to happen till Captain Kirk and Mr. Scott are born. I'll be in the ash heap by then. cyclops
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum