Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray?

3 posters

Go down

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Empty Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray?

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm going to replace my old (2000) DVD player with a new Blu-ray. My receiver (Pioneer) is a 2000 model also. All this talk I'm reading about HDMI cables is confusing me. I've been out of the loop with the new stuff in recent years.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Empty Re: Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray?

Post by dblboggie Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:54 pm

No Beats me. I still have an old, non-digital CRT TV and a VCR/DVD machine that must be an antique now.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Empty Re: Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray?

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:28 pm

dblboggie wrote: No Beats me. I still have an old, non-digital CRT TV and a VCR/DVD machine that must be an antique now.

Ahhh. I guess I'll wait to see if Matt or Kronos can help us old farts. We're so behind the times. You know... walking to school uphill, both ways, in a snow storm. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:35 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
dblboggie wrote: No Beats me. I still have an old, non-digital CRT TV and a VCR/DVD machine that must be an antique now.

Ahhh. I guess I'll wait to see if Matt or Kronos can help us old farts. We're so behind the times. You know... walking to school uphill, both ways, in a snow storm. Big Grin

Don't forget that that was with shoes made from tree bark.... when we had shoes at all. ROFL
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:18 pm

dblboggie wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:

Don't forget that that was with shoes made from tree bark.... when we had shoes at all. ROFL

Yeah, sometimes we had to use old 2x6's. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:18 am

TexasBlue wrote:I'm going to replace my old (2000) DVD player with a new Blu-ray. My receiver (Pioneer) is a 2000 model also. All this talk I'm reading about HDMI cables is confusing me. I've been out of the loop with the new stuff in recent years.
As far as I am aware, HDMI cable is not essential (I think blu ray will just connect like your DVD player). If you don't have HD ready TV then there may be no point using HDMI connection. If your TV is 11 years old then it could go either way.

HDMI is designed to connect HD players (PS3, blu ray, HDDVD players) with HD televisions with little benefit if the TV isn't HD ready.

That is as far as I understand it; I could be completely wrong.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Talked to a guy in town about it. He told me to replace my receiver since it's also 11 years old. That way, I can make use of the HDMI cables when it comes to the surround sound until I can get an HDTV next year. I can live with that.

Here's my choices and I'll be ordering from Amazon later today or tomorrow.

Pioneer VSX-820-K receiver
Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Vsx820front
Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Vsx820back

About: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-820-K-Home-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0039XQL2G/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2S3IXJGMNDXXA&colid=1O159KO53GSRW

Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray Disc Player
Anyone here up to date with the new technology regarding Blu-ray? Sonybdps580bluray

About: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S580-Blu-ray-Player-Black/dp/B004K1EOCA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I16BZN8IBMJKYR&colid=1O159KO53GSRW
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Got my receiver yesterday (Friday). I just hooked up the CD player for the time being. There's a lot of stuff on this thing as far as set up goes. Some is going to have to wait till I get the Blu-ray. I should have that in hand sometime Monday.

The receiver has 4 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. So, my Blue-ray will use one input. The output will go to the HDTV when the time comes for me to get that.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down