Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse!

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Empty This isn't Katrina II, it's worse!

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 7:59 pm

Good opinion piece. Just because people aren't dying or neck deep in hurricane waters, it isn't a real "story"

This is what really pisses me off about the rank-and-file left wingers in this country. None will dare criticize their president. But they went all out with Bush on Katrina, which he royally fµqqed up response-wise. But not here. It saddens me to see the damage unfolding on the network news every night (yes, i watch network news)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-daou/the-great-shame-americas_b_586377.html?view=print
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Admin210

Back to top Go down

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Empty Re: This isn't Katrina II, it's worse!

Post by i_luv_miley Mon May 24, 2010 8:28 pm

This is the defining story (so far) in Obama's presidency. The difference between this and Katrina is Katrina was a natural disaster whereas this is a result of years of corruption, neglect and politics. Make no mistake, this could have been avoided. This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Icon_rolleyes I agree that Obama's handling of it so far has been poor. But as I see it, so far he's left it up to BP to try and fix things. Clearly they aren't capable (or IMO, willing) to do that. Now it's time for the federal government to step in and take control - and then sue BP for everything it's worth. As for Katrina, people (including Bush & co.) had a week to prepare. No, they didn't know exactly where it was going to hit. Nobody did. But when it became apparent that Louisiana (and Mississippi and Alabama) were going to get hit, things should have been put into motion. They weren't. And that brings me to another (if cold way to put it) difference - that is, the effects of Katrina were immediately felt by many people. But it still took days for any help to arrive. IMO, all criticism (from Bush on down to the Mayor of New Orleans) was quite warranted. This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Icon_rolleyes The oil spill, while it will obviously affect certain things (like fishing or tourism for example) for a long time, it doesn't affect most people in any way other than being something they hear about on TV.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 pm

My gripe is how the media is handling it with kid gloves with Obama on this. Bush got crucified for Katrina (and justly so). The other big difference here is the constitutional mandate and federal laws of helping the states. They have to request the help first and foremost. It's easy to do... pick up the phone. They have to do that. The feds just can't move in. They can't. This is a different case because of the placement of the well. But now that the oil is reaching land, it's time for the affected states governors to act.

This is going to sink the president like Katrina did Bush. I think BP is doing what they can but nobody expected to ever see this happen. Everyone is over their heads on this one; big time.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 pm

This won't sink Obama (by itself) any more than Katrina sunk Bush (by itself). For Bush, Katrina was yet another screw-up in an line of screw-ups. It wasn't just one thing that caused his problems. While I totally agree Obama is going to pay a price, I doubt outside of the gulf region it will be much - unless of course, gas prices go up. Then yeah, people from everywhere will have cause to gripe.

I disagree about how the media is treating this. With Katrina, everyone involved as I said, from Bush down to the mayor of New Orleans bears some blame. The only thing that can be put on Obama with the oil spill is that he left it to BP for too long. IMO, he should have shut them out from making any decisions from the start - except for bearing all costs. Only BP should pay any literal cost for the cleanup. Yeah people want answers, but they should hold only BP accountable as they were the sole cause. As for the affected states not asking for federal help sooner, that may be... But look at the states involved. Do we really think Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi are going to "ask" for federal help? No... That's why the feds should have come in from the start. If anything, Jindal, Perry and Barbour will be the ones who pay for playing politics.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 24, 2010 11:35 pm

The blame for Katrina rises from the bottom on up. That's a fact. The constitution and federal laws prohibit the feds from moving in and taking over. There's 3 federal laws passed proving and providing this. Once the officials in N.O. requested help, then it fell on Bush. He and FEMA failed miserably. Nagin and Gov. Blanco knew this storm was coming and they had the resources and the authority to evacuate those who couldn't do so on their own.

With this mess, it's not states issue till now (oil coming ashore). The feds were within their right to act immediately but took their time.

They have to allow BP to do what it can. Who they gonna replace them with? If cleanup and repair is all you're talking about, you're wrong on this. The feds have to work with BP. BP is responsible for this mess and will pay dearly for this before it's over with. Obama's bad move is almost as Bush.... moving too slow. It's been a month now that this thing has been leaking and now we're seeing urgency.... which is sad as hell.

The federal gov't is so bloated with so much red tape, it's a wonder that they can get the lights turned on in congress and other federal offices every morning.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue May 25, 2010 2:36 am

What Obama should be doing is pressuring other oil companies to help with the clean up, but then the free market right wingers would attack him for interfering in corporate business, no? As far as I'm concerned, this problem transcends petty market based squabbles when the ecosystem and people's lives are at stake. Lobby those businesses to help and then worry about compensation and cost afterward.

Of all the wrongheaded ideas proudly trumpeted by America's right, anti-environmentalism occupies a unique position: it is at once the most devoid of a rational or moral foundation and the most dangerous. It is selfish, crass, illogical, willfully blind, a denial of the undeniable reality that humans are pillaging irreplaceable natural resources and spewing filth into the air and water and soil at unsustainable rates. Green-bashers stubbornly negate what is directly before them. There is no moral imperative underlying their belief (or lack thereof). It's about unbridled hostility at the suggestion that we must all make shared sacrifices. It's about refusing to acknowledge that the environmental movement has been right to sound the alarm. It's about laziness. And greed. And irresponsibility. And colossal shortsightedness. Green-bashing exposes the rot at the core of modern conservatism.

cheers

Last edited by The_Amber_Spyglass on Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added quote)
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

This isn't Katrina II, it's worse! Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 25, 2010 11:50 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:What Obama should be doing is pressuring other oil companies to help with the clean up, but then the free market right wingers would attack him for interfering in corporate business, no?

Yeah, he should. In fact, they should be offering help. And no, i doubt anyone would say anything about him pressuring them to do that. If he tried to make them, then that's a different story.

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:As far as I'm concerned, this problem transcends petty market based squabbles when the ecosystem and people's lives are at stake. Lobby those businesses to help and then worry about compensation and cost afterward.

This transcends everything as far as i'm concerned. There's going to be a lot of damage for years to come. I still believe that nature will recover from it. But the problem is the livelihoods being destroyed because of this and animal life. But nature will repair. Too bad it takes decades to do it. Look at Mt. St. Helens.

I've read stuff on the 'net about this over the last few weeks. I'm personally getting tired of the squabbling. I'm seeing references to Bush and Cheney with this and it makes my head spin.

My only (two) gripes is the media's handling of it and the slow response by our gov't on this.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum