Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flight Simulator

+3
The_Amber_Spyglass
TexasBlue
i_luv_miley
7 posters

:: General :: Video Games

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flight Simulator Empty Flight Simulator

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Since Tex and me were talking about it in another section, I figured I'd better start another thread in here - so as to not further mess up the music section. Flight Simulator Icon_razz

Anyway yeah Tex, I only just recently figured out how to fly (and more importantly - land) a jet in FSX. I've had various flight simulators (the Microsoft ones) since about 1985 and only over the past year (since I got FSX Gold) have gotten seriously about actually "learning" how to do things correctly. Of course I started in the Cessna, but I got good (and bored) with that pretty quickly and then moved on to the Mooney (another prop-plane). After getting good at that (doing flights from takeoff to landing without the auto-pilot), I decided to try the jets. Luckily FSX has a lot of missions and lessons and so I did some for the Bombardier (lear-jet) and was generally pleased with my performance. Of course the landings were crap, but otherwise I seemed to know what I was doing... Then I discovered ILS flying - and that changed everything! Flight Simulator Icon_geek Once I did an ILS flight (with the auto-pilot tuned to the right frequency obviously), I just focused on getting the landing down. And over not much time, beginning with the Bombardier and then the A321 and then the 737, I was able to not only takeoff, but I was able to land okay about half the time. (Hence my Bruce Dickinson comment from the other thread) Unfortunately, at least as far as the landings are concerned, I still don't know "the rule" (about what speed and flap setting to come in at) and as a result, I still screw up more often than not. But when I do land on the runway - especially on a 737, it's pretty cool.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Flight Simulator Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Flight Simulator Empty Re: Flight Simulator

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:47 pm

I got pretty good after about a year. Then i got into designing my own airports. I'll post some screens in a bit.

Also, just in case you didn't know... there's a place to get addons for your sim. This site has them for all versions going back to 98. There's quite the collection there and even with AI aircraft.

http://library.avsim.net/index.php

I still like to search thru new addons that have been uploaded here: http://library.avsim.net/whatsnew.php?Sort=Name
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Flight Simulator Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:56 pm

My airport that i designed near Denali, Alaska........

Flight Simulator Alaska10

Flight Simulator Alaska11

Flight Simulator Alaska12

Flight Simulator Alaska13

Flight Simulator Alaska14
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Here's one i made that is "near" my place where i live. Just a private airport. These are pretty good screens i took here......

Flight Simulator Y519a10

Flight Simulator Y519b10

Flight Simulator Y519c10

Flight Simulator Y519d10

Flight Simulator Y519e10

Flight Simulator Y519f10

Flight Simulator Y519g10

Flight Simulator Y519h10

Flight Simulator Y519i10
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Those are pretty cool. How'd you make those Tex? Is that part of flight simulator? Am I missing something? Flight Simulator Icon_lol I say that somewhat sarcastically, but there is just so much to flight simulator that I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed three-quarters of it. I'd love to make my own airports and stuff.

I just did a quick flight - from Salt Lake City to Pocatello, Idaho in a 737. It took about an hour. Anyway what I like to do is make an IFR flight-plan (always starting at the gate) and then just follow the instructions. Of course at first I just had the program put me on the runway and then takeoff. But again I got bored and wanted a challenge, so I began starting the flights at the gate. Doing that forced me to follow ATC's (the tower) instructions about what runway to go to and how to go to it. Of course making the flight IFR (instrument flight rule) forced the tower into telling me what to do (heading, altitude, etc) and I just follow the instructions. I can do visual flights (VFR) just fine in the propeller planes - and even line-up with the runway and land. But with the jets, I need the ILS beam (from the runway) to guide me down - and the only way I know how to do that is to fly IFR. Again, doing it like that, all I have to do is follow the tower instructions... The catch of course, is that I still have to have the plane at the correct speed (and flap setting) for what I'm trying to do. That to me, is the tricky part - and the part that still needs work. Flight Simulator Icon_sad

Anyway as I said, I just did another flight and landed the plane on the runway (on the first attempt). But I still had trouble exiting the runway to go to the terminal. I always end up stopping completely on the runway and then have to throttle back-up just to get the plane moving so I can get off the runway. If there's another plane behind me, it usually has to go around. Flight Simulator Icon_razz Another thing I've learned is when you land (with the auto-pilot ON), you HAVE to disengage the auto-throttle BEFORE landing - or you won't be able to stop! That's pretty important.

Last edited by i_luv_miley on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : kant spel)
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:57 pm

lol @ kant spel

Thatz ohkay. I hav a thrd grad edjumacashun myself. ROFL

I learned to make those with a program called AFCAD. Then there's using scenery design objects via stuff in those links above. It's a long learning curve in doing it. Took me months to learn it and even then there were times i made mistakes like crazy.

Here's some stuff for you to check out....
http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32
http://www.scenery.org/tutorials.htm

And this is for installing addon aircraft.
http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm

I had a F-16 on mine. Here's a screen from back then........

Flight Simulator F-1610

Over the USS Independence.....
Flight Simulator F-16_a10

Flying over Dallas-Ft. Worth....
Flight Simulator F-16_o10
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Two years of college and i still kant spel korekly. Flight Simulator Icon_razz

Another thing that I have major trouble with is the F-18. I think it's only available in FSX Gold, but I swear I don't even know how to turn on the engines. I'm okay if I start with the engines on (and on the runway), but a few of the missions require you to start the engines and then do something. I can't even do those. And then there's the aircraft carrier. Forget it! Flight Simulator Icon_eek

Another thing I've found myself doing is trying to push the fuel limit on the planes (mainly the 737 since I love flying that). So far I've pretty much played it safe with the flights I've chosen, making them usually no more than 2500 nautical miles. Anyway since FSX tells me that the 737 has a range of 2800 nm, I recently began a flight to test the theory. The flight is from Honolulu, Hawaii to Albuquerque, New Mexico (which happens to be where I grew up - and the place I still call my home, even though my body is in Houston). According to Google Earth, it's just under 2800 nm between those two cities. So I'm trying it in FSX. Of course no 737 in its right mind would dare make that trip non-stop. But I'm trying. Unfortunately that brings me to a peeve (I guess you could call it) and that is, since I get bored easily, I make most of my flights no more than 250 miles, so that I can do them in one shot. But sometimes I like to do longer ones - and that means I have to save them numerous times, and fly them over several days. It gives me hours of flying, but it also usually bores the hell out of me after a point. So the result is, I have a bunch of half-flown saved flights.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:13 pm

That F-16 i had was easy to fly. It was already running when i got started. The controls were simple. That plane was a hand made one by some sim fanatic. Eric something. The only problem i had was that if you turned a corner too fast while taxiing, it would tip over. ROFL

Yeah, i didn't do long flights ever. The longest i did was from Dallas-Ft. Worth to Minneapolis-St. Paul. That was two and a half hours and it bored the sh!t out of me. But i'd download custom built planes like CRJ models and i'd do those quick jaunts to Oklahoma City (when i was still living in DFW).
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 am

I've never played the Microsoft flight simulator, but I've read that it is (or at least was) very realistic. So realistic that the hijackers who piloted the planes on Sept. 11 used it for practice. After that, MS redesigned it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

It's realistic in the flight dynamics sense. Visually, it's not all that great. For it's time it was but now days games have far better graphics. But then, in the simulator, the ground is usually thousands of feet below you so the forest doesn't need to look pristine.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Oh wow! I just did the (expert level) 747 Monsoon Approach mission. Shocked Before that I was trying to do the mission above on the list - the last of the "advanced" level - called 747 Test Pilot, but I cracked up on the landing because two of my four engines flamed out. Guns Anyway so then I attempted the Monsoon mission, just for laughs. Anyway, at first I figured it would be difficult, but since the autopilot settings were already set for landing, all I had to do was change a few numbers and set the radio to get the ILS beam. And hey, I'm on the ground - in one piece. Mission accomplished. Snicker
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:28 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:Oh wow! I just did the (expert level) 747 Monsoon Approach mission. Shocked Before that I was trying to do the mission above on the list - the last of the "advanced" level - called 747 Test Pilot, but I cracked up on the landing because two of my four engines flamed out. Guns Anyway so then I attempted the Monsoon mission, just for laughs. Anyway, at first I figured it would be difficult, but since the autopilot settings were already set for landing, all I had to do was change a few numbers and set the radio to get the ILS beam. And hey, I'm on the ground - in one piece. Mission accomplished. Snicker

Haven't played the sim in over a year now. I guess i got burnt out.

Here.... try this. You might need to download the first one to use the second.....

http://fs-freeware.net/flight-simulator-downloads/Flight-Simulator-X/Space-Shuttle/Flight-Simulator-X----NASA-Space-Shuttle/

http://fs-freeware.net/flight-simulator-downloads/Flight-Simulator-X/Missions/Flight-Simulator-X-Space-Shuttle--and--Mission/
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:11 pm

Apparently I'm getting good at this. Razz I just did another mission (Limited Options - advanced level) where you start over the Indian Ocean in a 737 at 35,000 feet. After a few minutes one engine flames out - a moment later, a second engine goes bye-bye. You are now a glider with two options: turn around and try to make it to Seychelles (one-hundred miles away), which has a decent-sized runway or keep going and attempt a landing at a much smaller airport about fifty miles straight ahead... I decided to keep going. Obviously the key now is to don't descend too fast. Luckily FSX gives you an arrow to follow until you can actually see the island. Of course once you see the island, you have to descend quickly. So speed here is the key... Descend too fast, you're dead. Desend too slow, you're dead. And then of course, if you do descend correctly, you have to land ON the runway to complete the mission.

And hey, I did it. It wasn't easy, and it took three attempts. So on the third attempt, when the FSX co-pilot told me to put the flaps and gear down, I just ignored it until I was literally over the runway, as I knew that if I put the gear or flaps down, I would stall. And by doing so, I had just enough airspeed (and altitude) to make it to the runway. Whistle
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:59 am

Damn, you are getting good. I usually crashed. Most of the time i disabled the crash in FS9. Very Happy
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:02 pm

TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Anyone remember the flight simulator buried within MS Excel? It definitely worked, press a specific combination of keys in a blank workbook and a mini flight simulator would come up.

It definitely worked, because I did it. Indicative of how much time MS programmers really had on their hands to create it.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Flight Simulator Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:22 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Anyone remember the flight simulator buried within MS Excel? It definitely worked, press a specific combination of keys in a blank workbook and a mini flight simulator would come up.

It definitely worked, because I did it. Indicative of how much time MS programmers really had on their hands to create it.

Naw, i don't remember that. What i do know is that Google Earth has one built in. It's a cheapy one but one all the same.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Another one for ILM (if he ever reads this section again).

F/A-18 Combat Version for FSX

File Description:
FSX F/A-18 Combat Version. This is the Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet equipped with 20mm M61 cannon and a fully functional air-to-air gun mode found in the real F/A-18. With the two radar modes, the two gun sights and the flying tracers, the virtual dogfight will be very similar to a real one. You will not be able to shoot down other aircraft, but you will receive an immediate indication on your HUD if a bullet hit the bandit. The flight model is unchanged from the Acceleration F/A-18 except for allowing manually controlled flaps and reducing the arresting wire tension for smoother carrier landings. The HUD is an upgrade of the Realistic F/A-18 HUD by Jivko Rusev and Scott Printz, which allows ILS and TACAN navigation for aircraft carriers. You will also get a couple of additional gauges - an In-Flight Refueling Gauge, PLAT Camera and a Carrier Landing Gauge. By Jivko Rusev.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxacrp&DLID=153994
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:57 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Anyone remember the flight simulator buried within MS Excel? It definitely worked, press a specific combination of keys in a blank workbook and a mini flight simulator would come up.

I recall being told it, but I thought it nothing more then a rumour.

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:20 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Another one for ILM (if he ever reads this section again).

F/A-18 Combat Version for FSX

File Description:
FSX F/A-18 Combat Version. This is the Acceleration F/A-18 Hornet equipped with 20mm M61 cannon and a fully functional air-to-air gun mode found in the real F/A-18. With the two radar modes, the two gun sights and the flying tracers, the virtual dogfight will be very similar to a real one. You will not be able to shoot down other aircraft, but you will receive an immediate indication on your HUD if a bullet hit the bandit. The flight model is unchanged from the Acceleration F/A-18 except for allowing manually controlled flaps and reducing the arresting wire tension for smoother carrier landings. The HUD is an upgrade of the Realistic F/A-18 HUD by Jivko Rusev and Scott Printz, which allows ILS and TACAN navigation for aircraft carriers. You will also get a couple of additional gauges - an In-Flight Refueling Gauge, PLAT Camera and a Carrier Landing Gauge. By Jivko Rusev.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxacrp&DLID=153994
Unfortunately I don't do F-18's. Whistle

Ha! I finally landed on one of the aircraft carriers! ROFL Granted I had to use a Piper Cub in which to actually do it. But I did it all the same... Of course I'll never be able to land anything else on it without killing myself (or the crew). Snicker

Let's face it, when landing (moreso than at any other time), speed is the key. And when landing on an aircraft carrier, you have to be as slow as possible. Hence the Piper Cub - and I basically had to stall and have the plane drop on the deck in order to stop.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:23 pm

Why not try an F18? Scared? ROFL ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:24 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Why not try an F18? Scared? ROFL ROFL
I already said. I can't even get it in the air. So flying it is out of the question. Poke
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:38 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:Why not try an F18? Scared? ROFL ROFL
I already said. I can't even get it in the air. So flying it is out of the question. Poke

You gotta read the manual.

I had an F16 on mine and flew it just fine.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Here's the one I had.........

TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down