Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Empty Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:44 am

Code:
http://news.yahoo.com/gingrich-surge-unnerves-republican-lawmakers-063225998.html

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's stunning surge toward the top of the Republican presidential field has unnerved some Republicans in Congress who remember too well the tumult of nearly two decades ago.

"I'd rather have steady," said Rep. Steve LaTourette of Ohio, who just this week made it known that he was backing former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney instead of the resurgent Gingrich, the man who led the 1994 "revolution" in which LaTourette was first elected.

Personally, LaTourette said, he has a "hangover" from the days of Gingrich's speakership, when "everything always seemed to be on fire."

In interviews this week, more than a dozen Republican members of the House and Senate wouldn't say — when given repeated chances — that they are confident that Gingrich has the discipline and stamina to outlast Romney and, down the road, face President Barack Obama in a grueling general election.

Gingrich has had trouble marshaling support from Congress' mass of political insiders. The 1994 "revolutionaries" who turned Democrats out of power for the first time in 40 years as well as more senior lawmakers waver on the question of whether Gingrich would be good for the GOP and the country given his rocky past.

Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas, who credited Gingrich with helping push through a transformative farm bill, is among those unsure whether Gingrich-as-nominee would be helpful.

"It depends on what he does," said Roberts, who has not committed to a candidate for the party's nomination.

Gingrich's Capitol Hill days were volatile to say the least.

He was at the helm during two government shutdowns. He had a snit over a back-seat assignment on Air Force One and displayed a management style that his allies said shifted wildly and eroded morale among his backers.

There also was the book deal that led to a $300,000 fine from the House ethics committee and enough chaos to inspire his own lieutenants to plot Gingrich's overthrow. And who could forget Gingrich's illicit affair with a House aide — now his wife, Callista — while advocating for President Bill Clinton's impeachment after a sexual impropriety of his own?

The republican party hated him back then, they hate him now. A disgraced former Speaker of the House, forced to resign by the republican party and fined $300,000, is who the constituents support now? Is there no sense of right and wrong in the right?

Back to top Go down

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Empty Re: Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers

Post by dblboggie Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 am

Oh... I see... and there's such an acute sense of "right and wrong" on the left. Like the tax cheats Tim Geithner and Charlie Rangle, or that Democrat from Louisiana caught with $90,000 in bribes in his freezer. And that's just the tip of the iceburg. There's a LOT more where that came from.

And just to set you absolutely straight, that $300,000 Newt paid was not a fine, it was a reimbursement for an investigation that turned up NO violations of the law whatsoever.

Not that I'd expect anyone on the left to ever tell the truth about a Republican.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Empty Re: Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers

Post by TexasBlue Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:10 pm

It's only an issue when it comes to Republicans because they're supposedly "moral." Tells me a lot about Democrats. They can do what the GOP does and it's excused.

My God, I can dig up tons and tons of shit on the Democrats in just the last 3 years. Half of that digging is already dug..... just waiting to be used for purposes like this thread.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Perhaps you should post a sampling Tex. I know I can lay my hands on pages of examples of malfeasance and misfeasance by Democrats, but I'm not even gonna try to type all that out on my phone.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 pm

How about the AIG bonus recipients threatened with a 90% income tax just for them if they refused to surrender "voluntarily" money that they were contractually owed?

Or how about the heirs of those who died earlier last year and thought their inheritance wouldn't be subject to the estate tax, only to learn that some Dems were advocating restoring the estate tax retroactively? That's a clear violation of the spirit of the Constitutional prohibition on ex post facto law.

Don't get me started on Solyndra.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Yeah... there so, so many examples of corrupt Democrats it's not funny.

And while corruption certainly straddles the isle, there is little question about which side carries the majority of the weight.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Arx Ferrum Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:49 pm

I swear, the more this process goes forward, the more it reminds me of the lead up to 1980.

Does the Newt have a Reagan-esque quality to him? Has he risen above his past mistakes and reformed his vision to lead America out of this horrible social, economic and cultural malaise? He's not my first choice by any stretch but compared to Obama, he looks a little Gipperish. I mean, no one had the slightest idea then of what we were getting from a former actor-turned-politician.

History has a habit of creating unique circumstances in the present. There is enough irony already to write three pages of comparisons.

To hell with just hoping! Let's put the spurs to her and see if this old gal called America still has some get-up and go!

Arx Ferrum
Arx Ferrum

Gingrich surge unnerves some Republican lawmakers Newmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Remember that Reagan was governor of California before he ran for President.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Birthday : 1985-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down