Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina?

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina? Empty Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:15 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/nikki-haley-endorses-mitt-romney-she-help-him-124653201.html

--South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is backing Mitt Romney's bid for the Republican presidential nomination—ending the suspense over one of the most sought-after endorsements in the party.

Announcing her decision on Fox News, Haley, a tea party conservative who was elected as the state's first female governor a year ago, pointed to Romney's private-sector background and his experience as a Republican governor in a Democratic state as the reasons behind her support.

"What I want is someone who is not part of the chaos in Washington," Haley told Fox News.

Acknowledging that Romney is "not the perfect candidate," Haley said she believed the former Massachusetts governor could go toe-to-toe with President Obama in the general election.

"Gov. Romney is the one candidate that President Obama consistently tries to hit and get out of the way," Haley told Fox News. "That lets me know he's scared of him. It also lets me know Gov. Romney's got a good fight in him and that's the one President Obama doesn't want to have to go against."

The endorsement isn't surprising. Romney backed Haley in what was one of the nation's nastiest Republican gubernatorial primaries in 2010—breaking with some of his own supporters. And he campaigned heavily for her bid in the state in the general election.

Over the last several months, Haley was wooed by virtually all of the Republican contenders. Michele Bachmann and Newt Gingrich even went so far as to stay the night as Haley's invited guest at the governor's mansion in Columbia. But Haley hinted early on that she wouldn't back Gingrich, telling reporters in March that she believed his political moment had passed.

"He's been there and done that," she said.

Haley's endorsement is sure to offer a boost to Romney's almost non-existent campaign in the Palmetto State and give him credibility nationally among tea party and conservative voters--but there's some debate among South Carolina Republicans over how helpful her backing will really be in the state.

A Winthrop University Poll released earlier this week found Haley's poll numbers in the state have dramatically plummeted since she was elected. According to the poll, she currently has a 35 percent approval rating among all South Carolina voters—lower than President Obama's job rating in the state, which sits at 44 percent.

What do you think? Is Romney the chosen one of the rich to be president? Will the endorsement by an unpopular governor help?

It sure does seem as though the republican establishment is pushing Romney....how will the tea party respond, do you think?

Back to top Go down

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina? Empty Re: Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina?

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:09 pm

There's really no telling where the GOP contest is going to end up. When I think I have it figured out, things change.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina? Empty Re: Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:47 pm

TexasBlue wrote:There's really no telling where the GOP contest is going to end up. When I think I have it figured out, things change.

Makes it exciting and interesting to watch, but it is hard to figure out.

There is some word on the MSNBC liberal commentators shows that have indicated for a long time that Romney is the choice of the "established" republicans in DC.

Think they are right? I don't think he can be sold to the tea party NOR the republican constituents outside of DC.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Romney isn't my first choice. It matter not what the GOP establishment thinks anymore because that's what gets to most conservatives these days. The establishment "picked" McCain in 2008. I knew right then and there that he was going to lose. But then, anyone might've lost to Obama back then.

Romney is also a choice for the media talking heads. They don't go after him as much as they do the others. Despite all the faults of the others, Romney has his faults, too. But the media isn't making a big deal of it.

Personally, I think it's going to come down to Romney, Gingrich and Perry. Like them or not, it's going to go that way.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Nikki Haley endorses Mitt Romney. Can she help him win South Carolina? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down