Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights

3 posters

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Empty Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights

Post by Mark85la Sun May 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Mark85la
Mark85la

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Senmem10

Birthday : 1985-12-02

Back to top Go down

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Empty Re: Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights

Post by Mark85la Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Bloomberg you idiot, the people voted, that's a civil right too. I'm sick of people equating civil rights with gay marriage and bitching about how the voters voted on something.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Back to top Go down

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Empty Re: Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights

Post by dblboggie Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

The fact is, their is no natural right to a marriage that is recognized by the state as legal for the purposes of obtaining those benefits the state may bestow on such unions. PERIOD!

That said, there is no state in our union that bans gay marriage. Any gay couple can get married if they wish, it's just that that marriage will not carry with it the same benefits of heterosexual unions.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 14, 2012 5:44 pm

The other bullshit argument is that it's a civil rights issue. That's such BS.

The thing that these people fail to recognize is that the states issue marriage licenses. They decide if you can even get married. The Fed has no role in this.

That said, I get tired of the right wing arguments about this issue. But I get even more tired of the liberal BS on it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Mon May 14, 2012 6:27 pm

TexasBlue wrote:The other bullshit argument is that it's a civil rights issue. That's such BS.

The thing that these people fail to recognize is that the states issue marriage licenses. They decide if you can even get married. The Fed has no role in this.

That said, I get tired of the right wing arguments about this issue. But I get even more tired of the liberal BS on it.

Yeah, that's what makes me pissed, is when they try to equate this like it's the same as interracial marriages and that it's it's the same type of civil rights struggle like the 60s.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 pm

TexasBlue wrote:The other bullshit argument is that it's a civil rights issue. That's such BS.

Actually, the states do not have anything to say about who gets married. A gay couple could find a priest or minister or one of those internet ministers to marry them and the state can do nothing about that.

BUT, the state is not compelled to recognize that marriage as a lawful union confering on that couple certain state granted privileges and benefits.

It is ONLY those privileges and benefits that the state can withhold from gay couples, not the act of marriage itself.

These are the simple legal facts.

When you see journalists or gay activists using the term "ban" on gay marriage, it is a deliberate lie.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I stand corrected. But again, the states issue marriage licenses.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Bloomberg: NC marriage vote sets back civil rights Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I stand corrected. But again, the states issue marriage licenses.

Indeed, you are right, it is the states that issue marriage licenses, and the federal government has no say or constitutionally enumerated power to direct or interfere in the states decisions in these matters.

And just to reiterate, ALL those licenses mean is that the state accepts those particular unions as being of some benefit to the state deserving of certain privileges and benefits.

But one does need a marriage license to get married, one only needs it if one wants those privileges granted by the state - and bear in mind that these are privileges, NOT "rights."

And not to put too fine a point on it, but there are other means, other legal instruments by which gay couples can access a number of those privileges that a state marriage license grants.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 pm

North Carolina gov. says gay marriage vote makes state 'look like Mississippi'

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/18365300/north-carolina-gov-says-gay-marriage-vote-makes-state-look-like-mississippi

Give me a break.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down