Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Place to Live

4 posters

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

The Best Place to Live Empty The Best Place to Live

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:56 pm

The Best Place to Live

Bill O'Reilly
Thursday, Aug 19, 2010

And the winner is: Finland! According to Newsweek magazine, that is the best country on the face of the earth. Who knew? The United States is the 11th best place to live, just behind Denmark, which, of course, is close to the promised land of Finland.

A few years ago, I visited Helsinki, Finland's small capital city. There were saunas everywhere, and that's a good thing when you are that close to the Arctic Circle. In fact, unless you're a polar bear, going outside in the winter can be breathtaking. Literally.

Nevertheless, the five million-plus Finns are relatively fine. 80% of students make it to college, and life expectancy is close to 80 years old. There are few poor people floating around because you'd be a block of ice in that circumstance.

As Newsweek is a relatively liberal publication, I was struck by the magazine's choice because there is little "diversity" in Finland, and the left loves that diversity deal. 94% of citizens are of Finnish extraction; the rest are Swedes or Russians. That means blacks, Asians, and other ethnic groups are in short supply. In fact, about the only time Finns get to see them is on videotape.

How about religion? Well, 83% of Finns are Lutheran, and 15% do not believe in God. That means if you are Catholic, Jewish or Muslim, you might be very lonely. There could never be a mosque controversy in Finland because there would be no one to go to the mosque.

My time in Helsinki was pleasant but boring. I mean, how much herring can one eat? There aren't too many attractions, but there are plenty of trees and 60,000 lakes. But if you swim in the lakes, you will get hypothermia, which puts a crimp in water sports, as we all know.

Finns are generally liberal thinkers, with the exception of global warming. Why fight that, many ask? If the warming trend increases, perhaps we can get out of the house by May. It is hard to argue with that logic.

As an American, I always think my country is best and, truthfully, I never thought Finland was in the same league until Newsweek magazine enlightened me. I kind of like options in my life, and the USA offers plenty of those. If I want to freeze, I can sidle on up to Alaska. If I want it hot, Florida is a short plane ride away. We also have plenty of lakes here and you can actually swim in most of them. We have two oceans, the Rocky Mountains, the desert southwest and San Francisco, which is really another planet.

But I am happy for the Finns because they don't get much attention. And Finland is a fine place, although Newsweek is definitely overstating things. Unless I missed it, I don't believe millions of people are sneaking across the Swedish border trying to take up residence in the paradise of Finland.

Or am I wrong?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

The Best Place to Live Admin210

Back to top Go down

The Best Place to Live Empty Re: The Best Place to Live

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Why would the Swedes be lining up to go to Finland? They're probably number two on the list themselves. ROFL
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

The Best Place to Live Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:13 pm

lol
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:01 am

I'm not surprised. The Scandinavian countries have the highest standard of living in the world. Some of the best health care, best schools, best government services, low unemployment, etc. are all characteristics of that region.
Believe it or not, 'The Best Place to Live' is not measured by climate and whether you can go swimming in the lakes there. It's also not measured by how many immigrants come into the country.

The rest of the top 10 best countries to live are:

2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. Luxemburg
6. Norway
7. Canada
8. Netherlands
9. Japan
10. Denmark

The US is 11 and Germany is 12. The UK is 14.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

The Best Place to Live Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 am

I'm surprised it is Finland. I thought they had the highest suicide rate in the world? Scandinavian countries make sense, very high standard of living, irreligious and lots of lovely, undeveloped scenery to enjoy. That and a penchant for skinnydipping in December :p
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

The Best Place to Live Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:I'm surprised it is Finland. I thought they had the highest suicide rate in the world?

I'd kill myself, too, if i lived in as cold place.

Wait.

I live in Minnesota.Suicide
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:38 pm

As Newsweek is a relatively liberal publication, I was struck by the magazine's choice because there is little "diversity" in Finland, and the left loves that diversity deal. 94% of citizens are of Finnish extraction; the rest are Swedes or Russians. That means blacks, Asians, and other ethnic groups are in short supply. In fact, about the only time Finns get to see them is on videotape.

How about religion? Well, 83% of Finns are Lutheran, and 15% do not believe in God. That means if you are Catholic, Jewish or Muslim, you might be very lonely. There could never be a mosque controversy in Finland because there would be no one to go to the mosque.

So either Blubberin' Bill is suggesting Newsweek is racist, or that in fact he agrees with what he is putting into the mouths of the editorial on race and finds racial diversity unpleasant.

Either way he is still utterly worthless to listen to if he can't even write about this rather pointless space-filling article from Newsweek without bringing hypocritical "liberals" into it. But then again, what should I expect from the man whose first reaction was to go on a rant about the "liberal media" in France and Germany instead of condemning those responsible for the July 7th attacks on London. Come to think of it, I don't he ever said a bad thing about them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down