Deficit-Enabling Media

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Deficit-Enabling Media Empty Deficit-Enabling Media

Post by TexasBlue on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Deficit-Enabling Media

Brent Bozell
Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The deficit for last year was $1.4 trillion. The deficit rose as a share of the gross domestic product from 3.1 percent in 2008 to 9.9 percent in 2009, the highest deficit as a share of GDP since 1945. The projected deficit for the fiscal year that ends in September is another $1.3 trillion.

So much for all that fiscal sanity blather from Team Obama in '08. How dishonest. Even worse, there's a good reason to stay pessimistic about deficits as far as the eye can see. It's called the "news" media.

Legislators who want to get re-elected will clearly want to avoid any spending decision that will create bad national publicity, and our news media, the manufacturers of bad national publicity, will send crying victims down the assembly line at the slightest thought of a social spending cut or freeze.

Exhibit A is Sen. Jim Bunning, a man who is not seeking re-election, which is obvious from his brash, outside-the-Beltway behavior. Bunning pushed the stop button on the perpetual federal spending machine by holding up a $10 billion package to extend (yet again) unemployment benefits and keep cash flowing to the highway trust fund. Mirabile dictu, he insisted that the Congress should find the money to pay for this -- for example, in unspent "stimulus" money -- instead of just adding another multibillion-dollar layer to the deficit lasagna.

Break out the smelling salts. The network nightly news crews tried to manufacture instant outrage, earning their reputation as the enablers of incessant and unrestrained deficit-building.

ABC's Diane Sawyer sent her reporter to expose this mean old man: "One man's stand. A single Senator stops the whole Congress, denying thousands of people unemployment benefits. We confront him to ask why." No spin there. Sawyer framed it as Bunning simply blocking "life support for the unemployed," as if he were standing on someone's oxygen hose.

ABC reporter Jon Karl and his producer physically blocked Bunning's elevator while playing victim's advocate against this alleged victimizer: "We wanted to ask the Senator why he is blocking a vote that would extend unemployment benefits to more than 340,000 Americans, including Brenda Wood, a teacher in Austin, Texas who has been out of work for two years."

Wood lamented her plight: "I've done a lot without and drained my savings, so pretty much my daughter's been helping out, so -- I don't know what I'll do." Karl added numbers on screen: "Bunning is also blocking money for highway construction. So across the country today, 41 construction projects ground to a halt, thousands of workers furloughed without pay."

On CBS, Katie Couric blamed Bunning for "one of the stranger episodes on Capitol Hill" before reporter Nancy Cordes warned: "Because the bill didn't pass by today, 2,000 federal transportation workers had to be furloughed without pay, 400,000 Americans risk losing their unemployment benefits over the next seven to ten days."

NBC anchor Brian Williams decried how Bunning "had angry words with and an obscene gesture for a reporter on Capitol Hill. A sign, perhaps, that public pressure on him is building over his controversial decision to block a short-term spending bill in the U.S. Senate." Reporter Kelly O'Donnell added the same numbers about the transportation furloughs and delayed unemployment checks.

Bunning was right to say if the Congress can't find any place in the federal budget to trim away a measly $10 billion, they won't stop spending anywhere. But the media on this story aren't really on the side of the taxpayers (and debt payers). They're on the side of Team Obama and the debt builders.

Here's what Bunning should have said to Karl and his pushy producer: "If you want to pressure someone who's savagely causing unemployment, why don't you go break into your own boss's offices?" ABC News plans to offer buyouts (and then layoffs) of 400 Americans. Does anyone point a microphone in ABC News President David Westin's face and ask him why he's cutting off "life support"?

CBS is laying off about 100 people as they still pay Katie Couric $14 million annually. Why don't some reporters break into Couric's next public appearance and ask her why she's so heartless, not trying to "save or create" a few jobs inside CBS? Would Brian Williams publicly shame her if she brushed that off with a "no comment" or an obscene gesture?

Bunning isn't proposing job cuts -- or even spending cuts. He's using a hold and demanding that legislators of both parties put up or shut up when they declare they're for "pay as you go" budgeting. When it comes to massive deficits, the media are useless as part of a solution. They are a very loud and propagandistic part of the problem.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Deficit-Enabling Media Admin210

Back to top Go down

Deficit-Enabling Media Empty Re: Deficit-Enabling Media

Post by BubbleBliss on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:41 am

I think that a Private company laying off people and the gov't not providing for its citizens are 2 different stories.

Well, the fact is that if unemployment won't get extended, you'll see a sharp increase in crime, suicide, and other thigns.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Deficit-Enabling Media Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Unemployment benefits have been extended. Bunning was saying that the Dems need to practice their own preach... paying for it with money that hasn't been spent in other areas instead of borrowing more. The man was all for the extension... but it has to be paid for... and he was right.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Well measures are being proposed on how to save money. You simply cannot save on something like unemployment money in a time like this.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:23 am

Baloney. Democrats could've ended the gridlock by invoking cloture and getting the 60 votes they needed to proceed. Reid would't do that because he tried to score points using the issue to label Republicans as "obstructionists." The truth of the matter was that Bama signed an executive order requiring "pay-as-you-go" budgeting. Bama said (and i quote) "Now, Congress will have to pay for what it spends, just like everybody else,"

So, Bunning wanted congress to use unspent stimulus funds to pay for the unemployment bill to be in line with the exec order signed by Obama.

It amazes me the non-reporting (leaving out facts) by the left wing media.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

It wouldn't have made a difference. Even if Bunning did deny everybody unemployment benefits, most of those people would have ended up on welfare. The money would have been spent one way or another.

And while it's true that you need to know how to pay for it, there's no time to stop and quit giving citizens their unemployment money. People rely on that, you can't just stop it and think about it for a couple of weeks.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:It wouldn't have made a difference. Even if Bunning did deny everybody unemployment benefits, most of those people would have ended up on welfare. The money would have been spent one way or another.

And while it's true that you need to know how to pay for it, there's no time to stop and quit giving citizens their unemployment money. People rely on that, you can't just stop it and think about it for a couple of weeks.

That's such bullshit. The crafters of the bill know damn well where the money is coming from and can make the necessary adjustments to pay for the bill accordingly. That's what they do and always have done!

I, for one, didn't support Bunnings move but i understand where he's coming from. He didn't want to deny the benefits outright. He wanted to pass the bill. He just wanted the Dems to do what they said they were going to do. Any excuse for it is pure b.s. because the facts are right there above us.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:03 pm

So you're saying the bill was already 'paid for' and Bunning only vetoed it because he could?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:42 am

BubbleBliss wrote:So you're saying the bill was already 'paid for' and Bunning only vetoed it because he could?

No, if you read what i said 3 or 4 posts above, you wouldn't have asked that. Let's go over it again;

Bama signed PAYGO as an executive order... which makes it law. That means the spending bills passed have to have the money allocated to be considered. The unemployment bill wasn't. Bunning was holding the Dems to the executive order Bama signed. They didn't have the money for that bill set out. He stopped the bill till they did. I'll remind you again, he was in support for the bill. It just had to be paid for.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 pm

Yet you said....

TexasBlue wrote:

That's such bullshit. The crafters of the bill know damn well where the money is coming from and can make the necessary adjustments to pay for the bill accordingly. That's what they do and always have done!

So Bunning was just stalling so that the way to pay for this bill was made public?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:05 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:Yet you said....

TexasBlue wrote:

So Bunning was just stalling so that the way to pay for this bill was made public?

You're not comprehending this obviously. Lemme lay it out even simpler.

The Senate wanted to pass the unemployemt bill. It will cost $66 billion through December. The money must come from somewhere. This means taxes, borrowing..... or printing... which creates inflation. Unemployment benefits come, in part, from employers who pay into state and federal funds. And like any other tax paid by an employer, it effectively reduces the amount of the employees' take-home pay.

Feb. 12, Bama signed "paygo" into law. It requires that new government spending be "paid for" with cuts, money taken from something else or new taxes. Bama said congress must "pay for what it spends, just like everybody else."

In the end, the Senate ignored "paygo" and went ahead to pass the extension. 18 other senators ( all of them Repubs) found their spines and joined Bunning in voting no. He took a stand. He made his point about unfunded spending. That's all it was.... abiout yunfunded spending. In case you didn't know, we're $12 trillion in debt right now. Plus, we're adding $1.5 trillion to this year alone.

If you can't understand that, then i don't know what else to say.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 pm

You said yourself that the crafters of the bill would know where they'd get the money from, so all Bunning was doing was waiting for them to come out and say it. You said it yourself.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:21 pm

No, i didn't say that. The Democrats wanted top pass the bill as it was adding to the national debt. Bunnings wanted them to use what Bama said for them to use. Again, he supported the bill as long as they used PAYGO.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

TexasBlue wrote:

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 am

You like to play these games. They know what they have to do and they refused to do it. Bunning held them to it! Quit playing games, dammit! I'm getting tired of this liberal end-arounds.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:31 pm

So now you're telling me they weren't gonna pay for it?

I'm not playing 'liberal' games, I'm only pointing out that you already said that the crafters of the bill knew where the money was going to come from yet Bunning still stalled the bill because he claimed that they didn't know how to pay for it. So I asked you if he just wanted the crafters to make the payment plan public since they already know where the money was coming from, and you said no. So which one is it?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:40 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:So now you're telling me they weren't gonna pay for it?

I'm not playing 'liberal' games, I'm only pointing out that you already said that the crafters of the bill knew where the money was going to come from yet Bunning still stalled the bill because he claimed that they didn't know how to pay for it. So I asked you if he just wanted the crafters to make the payment plan public since they already know where the money was coming from, and you said no. So which one is it?

If Bunning hadn't pulled his move, yes.

Is that hard to comprehend? Already i've posted that Bama signed an exec order saying bills must use PAYGO. Under the way it was, it would've added to the deficit. After he did his thing, they had to use money from somewhere else.... like unused stimulus money for instance.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:29 pm

How did Bunning even know they were just going to add it to the deficit?
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Why did you just ask that? Unreal.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:40 pm

I asked because you said that the Dems were just going to add the cost for this bill to the deficit instead of paying for it with some other source. So I asked how Bunning knew they were going to do that.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Probably because he read the bill. Each bill shows how it's going to be paid for. If it does from borrowed money, then it adds to the debt.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Interesting...
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down