Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games they should remake

2 posters

:: General :: Video Games

Go down

Games they should remake  Empty Games they should remake

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:26 pm

So, I've been playing Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I love Tomb Raider. Some people say that remaking it was an insult to the original (you know who you are, Ben Yahtzee Croshaw), but most [proper] Tomb Raider fans actually see it as coming very close to being the definitive version of Tomb Raider. Saying Lara handles like a cow in a shopping trolley (Yahtzee) is a bit harsh - it's more that the camera system operates like a melon on a stick, and the combat controls are bloody awful. BUT, the combat controls in all Tomb Raider games (barring the most recent, or so I hear) are bloody awful, so that doesn't lose it any points. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous game which is similar enough to the original to feel like a homage, yet original enough not to feel like a rehash. Even the story has been subtly tweaked to feel fresh and exciting, but all the old faces return. And I love it - but it got me thinking, what other games would I love to see remade?

1. Blood Omen.
The Legacy of Kain series has a legion of die hard fans who really want to see this remade - but outside of that circle, I think basic awareness of this series of games is shrinking fast. I think it's incredibly unlikely that it will ever happen, which is a shame. The series is probably finished now, as the original team have all shipped off to pastures new. At its peak, the Legacy of Kain series was a visual treat, had a fantastic story line (for once, genuinely so), excellent game play and a nifty combat system. Sadly, Blood Omen and the original Soul Reaver now look incredibly dated - Soul Reaver II still holds its own, Blood Omen II was always a cheap spin off, and defiance is a bit long winded (the type of game you spend your whole time collecting items to play, then finding the game ends when you get your last one, so you never get to play with all your nifty upgrades). But yes, Blood Omen 1 would be on my 'remake list', just for its sheer awesomeness. Some games just deserve a remake so they can be introduced to a new generation of adoring fans. Blood Omen - with its anti-hero, other-worldly setting and evil-vampire-goodness (not that sick making sparkly Edward the fairy vampire turd-fest) deserves another shot.

2. Silent Hill 2
Yes, that's right, I said Silent Hill 2 - but only, and I do mean ONLY if they ring fence the story line. It's PERFECT. It doesn't need fiddling about with. And I defy anyone not to sob like a baby at that ending. Silent Hill 2 is AMAZING - it is a masterpiece in gaming. And the world deserves a remake of the best. game. ever. Forget Shattered Memories - I want a straight remake of the original, with better graphics and game play, but leave the bloody story alone!

3. Theme Hospital
Yeah I know - from the sublime, etc. I love theme hospital. I have an old laptop which I cling onto for the sole reason that it is the only thing I can get Theme Hospital and Populous: The Beginning, to function on. Yeah, so I can be a bit of a sad retro-gamer, but when you find a game you love, what can you do? Bullfrog going bust is one of the saddest events in gaming history. (Apart from Sierra going bust *sob*)

4. <edit: ignore this, I forgot they remade it already!>

5. Doom
Oh for Chrisakes just go back to the beginning. I want another Doom game, let's just start again. (The same goes for Duke Nukem - I never played it, I'm just sick of fan-bois bitching about DN4eva)

6. Civilisation II: ToT
Why keep making new ones when you already have the definitive version? Come on, it was simple, it was addictive, it was a classic. Make the next one more like v.2.II and you will have pretty much the perfect game. Call it Civilisation: Anniversary, I don't care, just make one more like that one. It was the absolute pinnacle of your achievement.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Games they should remake  Junmem10

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Games they should remake  Empty Re: Games they should remake

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Remakes? Don't really see the point of these in video games. Spiritual successors or sequels long after the original are fine, but just taking the gameplay and plot and add new graphics isn't going to add too much. Bit like prequels, we know what's going to happen - what's the point?

As for your choices I have to admit I never liked "classic" Tomb Raider for its "move one pixel to the left and die" gameplay, or ever played any of the Soul Reaver / Blood Omen games.

Doom had an unofficial remake in the Painkiller games, but what I like id to return to is the original "Quake" setting. Too bad they can't do it because one of the employees left the company with the IP rights to the "look" and "story" of that game, which is why they stuck with the dull and boring "alien from the planet generic" environment and setting.

Played Civ II before (my first one) but not played Civ II: Test of Time, what was special about this one that some modders can't recreate?

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Remakes? Don't really see the point of these in video games. Spiritual successors or sequels long after the original are fine, but just taking the gameplay and plot and add new graphics isn't going to add too much. Bit like prequels, we know what's going to happen - what's the point?

The point is, Merkwudigyahtzee, that once a game has become obsolete - the console is outdated, the graphics are eye tearingly revolting, the game play feels clunky and old fashioned - then it's as dead as a duck which is floating in a puddle of hoi sin sauce. Unless your a sad retro-gamer (I only do this a bit) then you'll never play it and it's awesomeness will be entirely lost to later generations. More than movies, I think games deserve remakes. A film, however old fashioned it looks - at the moment at least, is still accessible for a younger generation. With games, there will come a point when you literally can't play them. I'm not saying keep them exactly the same, and I suppose a 'homages' might be a better solution - but some games were so bloody good that they deserve being remade. Tomb Raider was a case in point.

With the exception of SH2, I wouldn't say keep the story exactly the same - and I reckon the game play could be changed to such an extent that it really would be a new experience, without losing the feel of the original.

OK, mebbe Civ II was a bad choice, and modders could possibly...probably...recreate it. I grudgingly admit it.

I didn't know that about Quake. Very interesting. I always preferred the look of the original. But it's not as though i can play that anymore, I did try a couple of years ago when I went through a phase of legally downloading old games - and I just couldn't play it. I had the same problem with Doom and Castlewolfenstein - which I never played the first time around.

Surely there must be at least one game that you loved - but which due to the changes in technology and the arrival of new consoles you can't go back and play any more? Which you just itch to play again, until - oh no! - you see the graphics and discover that playing it makes you want to wash your eyeballs. Surely, just one?!
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm

I agree entirely. Any truly great game is going to be limited by the technology of the time. Take away the graphical, sound and controller elements of what makes a game truly great (all hardware related) and 9/10 you will still have a truly amazing game at the core. The Secret of Monkey Island is an excellent case in point. Last year it was rereleased with a complete graphical re-render, sound improvement and scenes added.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Games they should remake  Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm

BecMacFeegle wrote:Surely there must be at least one game that you loved - but which due to the changes in technology and the arrival of new consoles you can't go back and play any more? Which you just itch to play again, until - oh no! - you see the graphics and discover that playing it makes you want to wash your eyeballs. Surely, just one?!

When it comes to games, I'm very unsentimental and not the least bit nostalgic... well OK since you mentioned Theme Hospital, I would be lying if I didn't think back too all the good memories of that game and hearing "The hospital administrator is cheating" on autorepeat in my head. But still, it did have a remake... of sorts.

There aren't many games that play uniquely, there will always be Elite style games, platformers, puzzlers, turn based games, shooters etc. I can't really think of any "classic" title that didn't already undergo some sort of "semi-remake-semi-spiritual-successor" phase. Although I consider myself a graphics snob, it won't get in the way too much of a good game/plot. Bugs and crappy controls put me off, and for this there will always be "Let's Plays" videos on YouTube.

OK if I had to pick one, it's a game I've NEVER ever played: X-Com. Nearly every gamer older then me raves about this series and how it turned to absolute shit pretty quickly. I want to get into the classic first few, but the look is way too crude for me and the open-source attempts at remaking it never turned out well. I hear there is a new X-Com game coming out, but it's going to be a bloody Bioshock clone with nothing to do with X-Com except it has aliens in it.

Oh, and that employee that left id with the original Quake IP was the infamous John Romero who brought inflicted the videogame "Daikatana" on the gaming world. Now that is one video that certainly DOES NOT deserve a remake. Or maybe...

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:33 pm

I am ridiculously sentimental about games, when I find one I love, I can't stop playing it. That list includes: Civ2:ToT (my first Civ); Theme Hospital; Zeus: Master of Olympus - and the add on Poseidon; Tomb Raider 4 (my first Tomb Raider) and Populous: The Beginning. I don't know what it is - but I still get the urge to play them after 10+ years. Zeus is one I don't think I'll ever stop fiddling about with. The others are beginning to give my eyeballs that scratchy feeling.

There have been others which have fallen by the wayside which I thought I'd never grow tired of - but have. So I guess all games have their day. But not Zeus. NEVER!

The Theme Hospital remake was Hospital Tycoon, wasn't it? I've never played it. It looks more dated than the original now.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 pm

I'm not as sentimental about games in the way that you are. I mean, I never spent a whole day playing Rome:Total War did I? Oh hang on...
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:44 pm

Yeah, but do you think you'll still be playing Rome Total War in another 10 years?

I have issues.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:30 pm

No because by then I hope to have a machine powerful enough to play Medieval II and Empires.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:No because by then I hope to have a machine powerful enough to play Medieval II and Empires.

LOL, at this rate when you get round to playing them Medieval VI: Ultimate Holy Wars edition would be out. Laughing

Medieval II had all this boring pointless moving around useless characters around, like princesses. The later games (rightfully) streamlined the "VIP" system. Empire was something of a mixed bag, quite buggy and sluggish, and annoyed they completely missed out on this whole "Napoleon" business, which of course they saved for a glorified add-on pack. Now, I really liked Napoleon as it felt more like a real title, but I never felt compelled to finish it like I did with Empire.

Giving Shogun II a complete miss as I don't see anything new in this that interests me, and probably the inevitable Rome II - for the same reasons.

I do wish the developers do something different, a fantasy or science fiction based title or something; one where they aren't so hung up on boring "historical accuracy" - now that would be awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm

BecMacFeegle wrote:The Theme Hospital remake was Hospital Tycoon, wasn't it? I've never played it. It looks more dated than the original now.

Same, after checking it up online it seems like the creators somehow managed to screw up what should have been a really simple and fun game.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 am

merkwurdigliebe wrote:
The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:No because by then I hope to have a machine powerful enough to play Medieval II and Empires.

LOL, at this rate when you get round to playing them Medieval VI: Ultimate Holy Wars edition would be out. Laughing

Medieval II had all this boring pointless moving around useless characters around, like princesses. The later games (rightfully) streamlined the "VIP" system. Empire was something of a mixed bag, quite buggy and sluggish, and annoyed they completely missed out on this whole "Napoleon" business, which of course they saved for a glorified add-on pack. Now, I really liked Napoleon as it felt more like a real title, but I never felt compelled to finish it like I did with Empire.

Giving Shogun II a complete miss as I don't see anything new in this that interests me, and probably the inevitable Rome II - for the same reasons.

I do wish the developers do something different, a fantasy or science fiction based title or something; one where they aren't so hung up on boring "historical accuracy" - now that would be awesome.
For diversity in battle gameplay, Medieval I was better than Rome but the actual battle system was obviously better for Rome.

I cant see anywhere else for them to go, aside from retreading old ground. They might do the US Civil War or the English Civil War but there are various scifi and fantasy game ideas I wouldn't mind adapting to the Total War engine. Dune, for example. "Emperor: Battle For Dune" was very good but very action orientated as it was built around the Command & Conquer engine. Might work just as well as a strategy intense concept.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:
merkwurdigliebe wrote:

For diversity in battle gameplay, Medieval I was better than Rome but the actual battle system was obviously better for Rome.

I cant see anywhere else for them to go, aside from retreading old ground. They might do the US Civil War or the English Civil War but there are various scifi and fantasy game ideas I wouldn't mind adapting to the Total War engine. Dune, for example. "Emperor: Battle For Dune" was very good but very action orientated as it was built around the Command & Conquer engine. Might work just as well as a strategy intense concept.

Dune, now that would be freaking ace. But a completely new IP would give them the freedom to do make a really polished and (importantly) balanced title me thinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: General :: Video Games

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum