Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vigils and signs?

3 posters

:: Miscellaneous :: Vent!

Go down

Vigils and signs? Empty Vigils and signs?

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Why is it when there is a shooting, there are always guaranteed to be vigils on sidewalks and people holding up signs with "when will this stop" printed on them...
It seems to me that it won't stop unless we DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Holding up a sign and walking around with candles will not stop the negative parts of society...
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Vigils and signs? Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Vigils and signs? Empty Re: Vigils and signs?

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 am

People always like to pretend they are doing something. Reminds me of the false altruism on facebook. A few weeks ago, there was a campaign to stop child abuse by getting people to change their profile picture to their favourite cartoon character from their childhood.

Precisely how will that combat paedophilia?
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Vigils and signs? Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:47 am

I guess if it makes them feel better, then go ahead. It's kind of like the crosses on the side of the highway around the USA when someone was killed on that spot. It does nothing for anybody but those who knew the person.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Vigils and signs? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 am

Arguably, it serves as a reminder that that particular road is dangerous? that's what goes through my mind anyway when I see a shrine. What is more common here though is piles of flowers and personal items (and a photograph) of the deceased.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Vigils and signs? Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Arguably, it serves as a reminder that that particular road is dangerous? that's what goes through my mind anyway when I see a shrine. What is more common here though is piles of flowers and personal items (and a photograph) of the deceased.

Yeah, I agree. I do think that. But I've seen many times that it was just an unfortunate accident on an otherwise safe road.

Yep, pix, flowers and a cross is what we have.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Vigils and signs? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down