Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming Empty Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming

Post by Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming Logo Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming, Fails Miserably
January 27, 2011 12:09 pm ET — 190 Comments

In an article titled, "Five Reasons the Planet May Not Be Its Hottest Ever," FoxNews.com sought to debunk the fact that Earth has warmed over the past 30 years, as well as the notion that human activity has contributed to the warming. But Fox largely ignored climate science and botched basic facts in the article, portions of which "are utter nonsense" and "do not make sense" according to climatologists consulted by Media Matters, including one of the skeptics cited by Fox.
Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming Planetearth-20110127-fivereasons

Fox Reports That Climatologist Roy Spencer "Takes Issue" With Data Adjustments

FoxNews.com: Roy Spencer "Takes Issue With The Way That Data Is Normalized And Adjusted." The FoxNews.com article did not provide any information about Spencer's concerns but reported in a section sowing doubts about the temperature data: "Satellite data is arguably the most accurate way to measure temperature. Roy Spencer, a climatologist and former NASA scientist, takes issue with the way that data is normalized and adjusted, instead presenting raw, unadjusted data on his website. The WMO does not use this data." [FoxNews.com, 1/24/11]

Spencer Says Fox's Reporting On Him "Does Not Make Sense"

Spencer: The Part That Mentions Me ... Does Not Make Sense." Media Matters asked Spencer via email to explain the "issue" Fox claimed he had with "the way that data is normalized and adjusted." In response, Spencer wrote that he "wasn't aware" of the FoxNews.com report. He further stated that he "read the part that mentions me, and it does not make sense." [Email to Media Matters, 1/26/11]

Spencer: "No One I Know Seriously Debates That Warming Has Actually Occurred." Spencer, who contends that the warming trend is natural rather than manmade, further told Media Matters via email, "I love FoxNews, but this was a little sloppy." He added: "We have differing opinions on the cause of warming...no one I know seriously debates that warming has actually occurred...so... ....I think whether 2010 was a record or not is not terrible relevant to the debate" [Ellipses in original]. [Email to Media Matters, 1/26/11]

Spencer's Data Is Not "Unadjusted." Spencer's website reports the "UAH [University of Alabama in Huntsville] Globally Averaged Satellite-Based Temperature of the Lower Atmosphere" and states that the datasets "represent the piecing together of the temperature data from a total of eleven instruments flying on eleven different satellites over the years." [DrRoySpencer.com, accessed 1/25/11]

•Contrary to Fox's claim that Spencer presents "raw, unadjusted data on his website," Spencer explained via email that "[t]he raw satellite data DO need to be adjusted, and I post on my website (drroyspencer.com) monthly updates AFTER John Christy and I have performed those adjustments. [Email to Media Matters, 1/26/11]
•Spencer's website also explains how UAH adjusts and corrects the raw satellite data. [DrRoySpencer.com, 1/6/10]

Spencer Himself Reported That 2010 Was Tied As Warmest Year On Record. Spencer and John Christy, both of the University of Alabama in Huntsville, reported that according to their data, "2010 finished in a photo finish with 1998 for the warmest year in the 32-year satellite temperature record." They further noted that "oth 1998 and 2010 were years in which an El Nino Pacific Ocean warming event raised temperatures around the globe." [Newswise.com, 1/18/11]

•[b]USA Today also reported:

In a separate global temperature report released last week, 2010 finished in a tie with 1998 for the warmest year in the 32-year satellite temperature record, according to John Christy, professor of atmospheric science and director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama-Huntsville (UAH).

Unlike the climate center's surface-based temperatures, UAH's data are based on instruments aboard satellites from NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that measure the temperature of the atmosphere from the surface up to an altitude of about 5 miles above sea level.

The satellite data show that the globe continues to warm unevenly. Warming increases as you go north: The Arctic Ocean has warmed an average of almost 3 degrees in the past 32 years. [USA Today, 1/13/11]

Fox Pushes Claim That El Nino Is Causing Global Warming

FoxNews.com: Joe Bastardi Says El Nino Caused Warming Of Past 30 Years. From the FoxNews.com article:

Of course temperatures are up, said Joe Bastardi, a meteorologist with Accuweather: It's El Niño, stupid.

"El Niños cause spikes up. La Niñas drop it down," Bastardi told FoxNews.com. "Why have we gone up overall in the past 30 years? Because we've been in a warm cycle in the Pacific," he said. "But the tropical Pacific has cooled dramatically, and it's like turning down your thermostat -- it takes a while, but the house will cool." [FoxNews.com, 1/24/11]

Scientists Say El Nino Can't Explain The Long-Term Warming Trend

Kevin Trenberth Of NCAR: "The Statements Are Utter Nonsense." Kevin Trenberth, head of the Climate Analysis Section at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), told Media Matters via email:

The heat has to come from somewhere. In El Nino: or really the ENSO cycle of El Nino and then La Nina, the heat builds up during La Nina, and then is redistributed and comes out of the ocean during and following El Nino.

This is well documented (I can point you to papers). So there is a mini global warming (increase in temperature) in the latter part of El Nino.

The heat has to come from somewhere and so if the climate is warming because of a warm cycle in the Pacific, where did the heat come from? If it just comes from the ocean then the ocean must be cooling down. It isn't. Of course it is global warming from increased greenhouse gases that warms the ocean!

The statements are utter nonsense. [Email to Media Matters, 1/26/11]

David Pierce Of Scripps Institution Of Oceanography: "The Up-And-Down Temperature Sequence" Of El Ninos "Does Not Match" The Long-Term Warming Trend. David Pierce, a climate scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography responded to the question, "How do climate scientists know that the warming in the past 30 years is not due to El Ninos?" by writing:

This question reminds me of when I was young, and my grandfather took me and my 5-year old cousin on an elevator ride. My grandfather told her that if she jumped up and down, she could jump to the top of the building. So she energetically jumped up and down, and after a minute the elevator doors opened, and there we were at the top of the building! My cousin was mighty impressed.

Of course, she was only 5, so we can forgive her for not understanding that it's perfectly possible for two things to be happening at the same time. She was jumping up and down, but the elevator car was going up at the same time. El Nino and the warming we have seen over the last 30 years are like that. We have had El Ninos (warm events) and La Ninas (cold events), which push the Earth up and down in temperature. (By the National Center for Environmental Predictions's count -- they are part of NOAA, who also runs the National Weather Service -- we have had about 11 El Nino (warm) events since 1970, and about 10 La Nina (cold) events). At the same time, there has been a long-term, systematic warming of the planet. So the main way we know that El Nino is not responsible for the "global warming" in recent decades is that the up-and-down temperature sequence of the El Ninos and La Ninas does not match the long-term, secular rise in temperatures.

Another way you can check if El Nino/La Nina are responsible for he planetary warming is by examining the regions that they tend to influence, and see if there is a match. The planetary warming can be seen across broad swaths of the globe, but is concentrated in the polar regions. El Nino warming is concentrated in the tropics. So the spatial signature of El Nino warming does not match the spatial pattern of global warming either. [Email to Media Matters, 1/26/11]

and there more.. much, much more click on link to go to web-page

http://mediamatters.org/research/201101270013

Back to top Go down

Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming Empty Re: Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Same shit, different day. The denialists do not have a warming mechanism. I must admit it is the first time I have heard the El Nino excuse seeing as we haven't had one for quite a few years. And it only affects the northern hemisphere during the summer anyway. So... it affects half the planet for a period of six months... yeah, what part of "global" are Faux News not getting?
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Fox Tries To Debunk Global Warming Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down