Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Empty UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise

Post by TexasBlue Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise

Stephen Adams
Medical Correspondent
telegraph.co.uk
08 Mar 2011

A survey of more than 60 hospital trusts has found that they carried out almost 11,000 fewer planned or 'elective' operations in 2010 than they did in 2009.

The trusts that replied carried out 1,227 fewer knee replacements, a drop of six per cent, and 531 fewer hip replacements.

And they carried out 2,041 fewer hernia operations, down 7.25 per cent, and 1,770 fewer tonsillectomies, a drop of 11 per cent.

The figures are from Freedom of Information requests to England's 170 NHS hospital trusts, made by the Patients Association, of which 62 responded.

The pressure group described the figures as "a disgrace" while doctors labelled them "worrying".

The Patients Association also found that, on average, waiting times for hip replacements rose from 80 to 88 days and for knee replacements from 82 to 90 days.

The organisation undertook the research after receiving triple the number of calls in 2010 from patients saying they were having problems getting the surgery they needed, compared to 2009.

One patient said: "I have been to my GP begging for them to speed up my knee replacement, but he says there is no funding and I will have to wait until April.

"I can't do anything, not even go to the shops, and it's so painful if I put any weight on it I scream."

In December The Daily Telegraph reported how some trusts were postponing lower-priority procedures to save money.

Although the NHS is receiving a 0.5 per cent above inflation increase each year between now and 2014, critics say a commitment to make internal savings of up to £20 billion by then means front-line services are being affected.

In a webchat to doctors on Monday night, Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, insisted that there were "no cuts at all" to the NHS budget.

He said: "The facts are that the Government is providing £10.7 billion extra over the next four years for the NHS."

But on Tuesday Sue Slipman, director of the NHS's Foundation Trust Network, warned that efficiency savings meant "serious financial stress that will lead to the loss of thousands of jobs" in hospitals and "seriously endanger" waiting times and services.

Katherine Murphy, chief executive of the Patients Association, said: "It is a disgrace that patients are being denied access to surgical procedures that they would have had if they had needed them a year ago."

She added: "With the NHS needing to make £20 billion of savings by 2014, we are worried that this situation is only going to get worse – how many more thousands of patients are going to be denied operations this time next year?

"This research backs up what patients are telling us every day on our helpline, less operations are being carried out, and those fortunate enough to get an operation are having to wait longer for it to take place."

John Black, president of the Royal College of Surgeons, described the figures as "worrying".

He said: "Patients must be seen on a clinical need, rather than a financial basis. Any cost savings this may bring in the short term will be negated as these patients present with more serious conditions further down the line."

However, the Department of Health said official hospital statistics for all trusts in England indicated that NHS activity went up in 2010, not down.

For example, from April to October 2010 there were 41,863 hip operations, compared to 39,114 for the corresponding six months in 2009; while the figures for knee operations were 45,463 and 43,454 respectively.

A spokesman said: "There is no justification for asserting that quality of care is slipping. Official figures show that the NHS is delivering more for patients and that waiting times are stable."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Admin210

Back to top Go down

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Empty Re: UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:14 am

I can see fundamental flaws in this article but I think I will let the wife address this one, wouldn't want to steal her thunder as an NHS employee Very Happy
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Empty Re: UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:19 am

Oooh, the Telegraph, those needling little right-wingers.

Although the NHS is receiving a 0.5 per cent above inflation increase each year between now and 2014, critics say a commitment to make internal savings of up to £20 billion by then means front-line services are being affected.

Let's just see that again:

Even the Tories can't (and don't try to) deny that in real terms that is a massive cut in NHS budget. People here want the NHS, it seems the Tories are currently doing their best to:

a) fuck it up completely
b) introduce privatisation by the back door

Or maybe I'm just being cynical. It's possible the introduction of the GPCC's will be a massive improvement because it's part of the 'Big Society' and it 'Puts GPs at the forefront of decision making' and 'away from those evil bureaucrat pen-pushers at the PCTs'. BUT GPs are not administrators, or business men and nor are they meant to be. As they will either have to employ whatever remains of the PCTs to run their GPCC's or bring in private companies - I will ask, for the thousandth time, where are the savings? And the PCTs aren't being got rid of entirely. Oh no. They are just being moved around and downsized (their roles being filled by private companies as far as I can see). Which is costly stuff.

And so what is the appeal of this strange privatised/government funded hybrid? Does anybody know? Who will the government pay to provide these services? Why, the people who claim they can do the job the cheapest of course. And how will the chain of command function? Why are we putting public money into private hands?

Is the NHS perfect? No. But it's worth fighting for. And they should raise spending on the NHS in real terms, not cut it sneakily by the back door. Most people here want to keep it, they don't want privatisation. I think the NHS is the one thing people would be willing to spend more taxes on.

WHO still ranked us as 17th in the world for health care:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO's_ranking_of_health_care_systems[/url]

So I'm proud of the NHS and I would fight to keep it.

(BTW, USA is 37th Very Happy )
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

UK hospitals cutting operations, while waiting times rise Junmem10

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:24 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:I can see fundamental flaws in this article but I think I will let the wife address this one, wouldn't want to steal her thunder as an NHS employee Very Happy

It's why I posted it. I wanted you guys' opinion.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:27 am

So, why do you oppose privatization of HC there? Just asking.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:37 am

We don't oppose it, we just oppose only having private healthcare. One of the misunderstandings by the US right wing is that we have no private healthcare at all. We do, through many schemes (BUPA being the best known example). I worked for a small one as a temp while I was at university, though only for about 3 weeks before going back to the hospital.

We generally feel that healthcare is a matter of duty of care by government to provide a basic level for its citizens. Besides, it makes good business sense to do so. A healthy workforce is a productive one.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 am

Fair enuff.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 am

And seeing as the method by which we fund it (National Insurance Contributions) also goes toward any unemployment benefit we might claim in the course of a working life, as well as our state pension, you don't get many naysayers.

I'm not sure that the Tories really want to fully privatise the NHS, to attempt such a thing would be political suicide. I too have to question the sense in surrendering control of the PCTs to GPs. They are supposed to be taking care of their patients. All they are going to do is spend the budget on hiring in private contractors... and the cheapest at that. Funny... I thought selling a contract to the cheapest bidders to save money - and doing away with Matrons - is the biggest contributor to the problems of MRSA in our hospitals.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:24 am

Nick Clegg vows to protect NHS from 'profit motive'

Nick Clegg has vowed not to let the "profit motive drive a coach and horses through the NHS" after Lib Dem members voted to reject government reforms.

Delegates at the party's spring conference backed a call to halt a "damaging and unjustified" shake-up of GP services in England.

Mr Clegg vowed to look at the call "in detail" - but insisted he was not at odds with party members on the issue.

"Yes to reform of the NHS - but no to the privatisation of the NHS," he said.

The deputy prime minister, who was taking part in a question and answer session at the party's spring conference, was attempting to reassure delegates that their concerns would be taken seriously by ministers.

He claimed the changes the already made to the Health Bill went "with the grain" of activists' concerns, as they would increase accountability and transparency.

Earlier, delegates voted overwhelmingly in favour of an amendment calling for radical changes to the government's Health Bill - including an end to "top down" reorganisation of the NHS and limits to opening up services to more private competition.

Former MP Evan Harris, who tabled the amendment, said: "It is now incumbent on Nick and his ministerial team to deliver the major changes to the government's health policy and the significant amendments to the Health and Social Care Bill that the Liberal Democrats have overwhelmingly called for.

"Because the health reforms were not in the coalition agreement, today's vote is the only view expressed by the party on the subject."

Lib Dem activists are angry about what they see as Conservative plans that were not included in the coalition agreement.

Mr Harris earlier told delegates he did not want to contribute to the "retoxification of the Tory brand".

He said the vote sent a message to the Conservatives that "we will not accept market reform of the health service, any fragmentation or destabilisation of NHS services by new private providers or the lack of accountability for the spending of public money envisaged in the model of GP commissioning promoted in the bill."

Mr Harris's amendment urges "the complete ruling out of any competition based on price to prevent loss-leading corporate providers under-cutting NHS tariffs".

The former Lib Dem leader in the Lords, Baroness Williams, was among senior party figures supporting the amendment, saying the government's proposed reforms were "lousy".

The Health Bill will hand control of 80% of NHS budgets in England for commissioning services to GPs, and introduce more private competition into the provision of care.

Response

Lady Williams said she did not want to damage Mr Clegg or the coalition. But she insisted the deputy prime minister was allowing the health service to be put at risk.

She described the plan as a "massive reorganisation... which will fall within a period when many of our fellow citizens are worried about whether they will keep their jobs and how they will pay for petrol and food."

She claimed private companies would be looking to "cherry pick" profitable services rather than treat patients in the most need.

After the vote, Lib Dem Health Minister Paul Burstow said he would be "taking those concerns back to government."

"The party has shown its mettle by setting out areas for improvement in the Bill."

Rethink

Defending the plans during the debate, Mr Burstow told delegates "stripping out layers of needless management and capping administrative costs (means) we'll be able to make £5bn of savings over the next four years - all of which we will plough straight back into patient care".

And he said the government had already changed the legislation to prevent "cherry picking" of the most profitable services by private companies.

Activists hope backbench Lib Dem MPs will now vote against the bill.

If Labour also opposes the Bill in the Commons, it could force the government into a rethink ons some aspects of it, they believe.

Mr Clegg was speaking as about 5,000 demonstrators gathered outside Sheffield City Hall, where the conference is being held, to demonstrate against government cuts.

Protesters - some waving placards of Nick Clegg as Judas or Pinnochio - chanted "shame on you for turning blue" and other anti-Lib Dem slogans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12722836

If the Lib-Dems oppose the Tories, and win, they could claw back some popularity and dissuade people that they are being bullied by the Tories.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum