Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH

5 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Empty Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:13 pm

NASHUA, N.H. – U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota stood before New Hampshire Republicans with a tea bag clutched in her hand Saturday, but her grasp on Revolutionary War geography wasn't quite as tight.

Before headlining a GOP fundraiser, the possible presidential hopeful told a group of students and conservative activists in Manchester, "You're the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord."

But those first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire.

"So I misplaced the battles Concord and Lexington by saying they were in New Hampshire," Bachmann posted on her Facebook page later. "It was my mistake, Massachusetts is where they happened. New Hampshire is where they are still proud of it!"

Though Bachmann probably wasn't the first to confuse Concord, N.H., with Concord, Mass., her mistake was striking given her roots in the tea party movement, which takes its name from the dumping of tea into Boston Harbor by angry American colonists in December 1773, 16 months before the Battle of Lexington Green.

Some 30 miles to the north and with tea bag in hand, Bachmann was greeted with applause when she asked the crowd, "How about a United States president that gets what the American people want in 2012?" and later proclaimed, "Are you in for 2012? I'm in!"

She later clarified that she is committed to denying President Barack Obama a second term, not necessarily running herself. That decision will come by early summer, she said, adding that she was no closer to making it Saturday than she was before her first political trip to New Hampshire.

For the state that holds the earliest presidential primary, it was another day, another Minnesota politician with possible White House aspirations. Bachmann's trip overlapped one day with former Gov. Tim Pawlenty's latest visit, offering voters a glimpse of their contrasting styles.

Pawlenty, a former two-term governor, has taken a more traditional path to exploring a White House bid: traveling to key states, spreading money to potential allies through his political action committee and publishing a memoir as he left office. On Friday, he brushed off reporters' attempts to get him to criticize fellow Republican Mitt Romney on health care, and in remarks at a New Hampshire hospital, offered subdued criticism of Obama's national health care law saying "I know the country just had a huge debate about all of this, and my side lost, at least for now. But I hope we can have a continued discussion."

To be sure, Pawlenty faced a roomful of skeptical physicians in one of the most liberal corners of the state, while Bachmann spoke before an enthusiastic, conservative crowd that included tea party groups from New Hampshire and Massachusetts. She called Obama's health care overhaul the "ultimate example of arrogance."

"The real problem is the arrogant elites in Washington, D.C., who think they know how to run your lives far better than you," she said. "You can't be trusted to run your lives, they have to run your lives for you."

She said the bill included $105 billion in spending that Obama and Democrat leaders intentionally hid.

"Did he just forget to mention that, oh, by the way, we've got $105 billion in this bill that we're going to implement socialized medicine? No, this was intentional.

"It needed to be implemented immediately to get its tentacles all through your lives and our government and our institutions so that no matter who was elected in the future, your franchise, your vote would be neutralized. Because they would get their way."

Bachmann, who only recently has begun traveling to early nominating states, rose through the Minnesota ranks on social issues and is a favorite of the tea party in Congress, where she is in her third term. A formidable fundraiser, she's also built a national following through her blunt commentary on cable news shows.

Her speech was briefly interrupted by protesters who had been allowed in the room after portraying themselves as civic-minded college students who wanted to hear Bachmann. Less than half an hour after they were publically welcomed by the event organizers, they marched across the conference room, holding signs and chanting "Michele Bachmann we insist, end the AIDS treatment waiting list."

The protest was an apparent reference to the state- and federally-funded AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Many cash-strapped states have taken steps to cap enrollment, drop patients or institute waiting lists. Bachmann thanked them for the "love," as they were quickly ushered out.

"We're seeing this kind of response because the left knows we're coming and we're serious about 2012," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bachmann_nh

* I thought about posting this in the Chatter section, but she is a politician after all... Snicker *
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Empty Re: Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:32 pm

"So I misplaced the battles Concord and Lexington by saying they were in New Hampshire," Bachmann posted on her Facebook page later. "It was my mistake, Massachusetts is where they happened. New Hampshire is where they are still proud of it!"

Looks like she owed up to it.

Now for some real gaffes:

Dumb Quotes and Gaffes by Obama

"We're not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that's fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you've made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you're providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy." —on Wall Street reform, Quincy, Ill., April 29, 2010

"One such translator was an American of Haitian descent, representative of the extraordinary work that our men and women in uniform do all around the world -- Navy Corpse-Man Christian Brossard." –mispronouncing "Corpsman" (the "ps" is silent) during a speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, Washington, D.C., Feb. 5, 2010 (The Corpsman's name is also Christopher, not Christian)

"The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries." --Tampa, Fla., Jan. 28, 2010

"UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? It's the Post Office that's always having problems." –attempting to make the case for government-run healthcare, while simultaneously undercutting his own argument, Portsmouth, N.H., Aug. 11, 2009

"The Cambridge police acted stupidly." —commenting on a white police officer's arrest of black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. at his home in Cambridge, Mass., at a news conference, July 22, 2009

"The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system." --in remarks after a health care roundtable with physicians, nurses and health care providers, Washington, D.C., July 20, 2009

"It was also interesting to see that political interaction in Europe is not that different from the United States Senate. There's a lot of -- I don't know what the term is in Austrian, wheeling and dealing." --confusing German for "Austrian," a language which does not exist, Strasbourg, France, April 6, 2009

"No, no. I have been practicing...I bowled a 129. It's like -- it was like Special Olympics, or something." --making an off-hand joke during an appearance on "The Tonight Show", March 19, 2009 (Obama later called the head of the Special Olympics to apologize)

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about doing any seances." --after saying he had spoken with all the living presidents as he prepared to take office, Washington, D.C., Nov. 7, 2008 (Obama later called Nancy Reagan to apologize)

"I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- defending his tax plan to Joe the Plumber, who argued that Obama's policy hurts small-business owners like himself, Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008

"What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith..." --in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, who jumped in to correct Obama by saying "your Christian faith," which Obama quickly clarified (Watch video clip)

"I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis." --speaking via satellite to the Democratic National Convention, while in Kansas City, Missouri, Aug. 25, 2008

"Let me introduce to you the next President -- the next Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden." --slipping up while introducing Joe Biden at their first joint campaign rally, Springfield, Illinois, Aug. 23, 2008

"Just this past week, we passed out of the U.S. Senate Banking Committee -- which is my committee -- a bill to call for divestment from Iran as way of ratcheting up the pressure to ensure that they don't obtain a nuclear weapon." --referring to a committee he is not on, Sderot, Israel, July 23, 2008

"Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." --Amman, Jordan, July 22, 2008

"How's it going, Sunshine?" --campaigning in Sunrise, Florida

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

"Hold on one second, sweetie, we're going to do -- we'll do a press avail." --to a female reporter for ABC's Detroit affiliate who asked about his plan to help American autoworkers (Watch video clip)

"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon (Watch video clip)

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" --after being asked a foreign policy question by a reporter while visiting a diner in Pennsylvania

"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters

"The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, you know, there's a reaction that's been bred in our experiences that don't go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way, and that's just the nature of race in our society."

"Come on! I just answered, like, eight questions." --exasperated by reporters after a news conference

"You're likeable enough, Hillary." --during a Democratic debate

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people

Big Grin Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Admin210

Back to top Go down

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Empty Re: Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH

Post by dblboggie Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:09 pm

ROFL

The truth is, all politicians make these sort of gaffs on the campaign trail and even while in office. It's an occupational hazard, particularly on the campaign trail or when doing many, many personal appearances in a short span of time (as politicians often do when stumping for some particular legislation).

Of course the mainstream media only seem to zero in on those gaffs made by Republicans and conservatives, and completely ignore those made by Democrats and liberals - unless of course they are so spectacular and so public that they cannot ignore them - which isn't often.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I would call not knowing what state you're in a gaffe. I would also call not knowing high school-level American history, ignorance. Poke
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:17 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:I would call not knowing what state you're in a gaffe. I would also call not knowing high school-level American history, ignorance. Poke

Barak Obama wrote:I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon

And I would submit that not knowing how many states there are in the country you are campaigning to lead equally as ignorant.

Last edited by TexasBlue on Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed broken quote)
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:36 pm

ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I only have one word in rebuttal: potatoe

Remember, basic education is your friend... Whistle

And how about this Bush-ism: "noo-kyoo-lur"
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

You know.... I don't get into gaffes and never post anything about them unless others make a big deal out of them. That said, I can go dig up tons and tons of gaffes from both Clintons and even Biden. Joe is a walking gaffe.

But who really gives a shit? Bachmann even owed up to it. That oughta be enough for you.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:12 pm

TexasBlue wrote:You know.... I don't get into gaffes and never post anything about them unless others make a big deal out of them. That said, I can go dig up tons and tons of gaffes from both Clintons and even Biden. Joe is a walking gaffe.

But who really gives a shit? Bachmann even owed up to it. That oughta be enough for you.
It might have been if it hadn't come on the heels about what she said about the founding fathers and slavery. Now, I happen to agree with you that gaffes do and will happen, and that most should go unnoticed. Unfortunately, that world no longer exists in politics... But, aside from that and again going back to her previous comment, it tells me that she just doesn't know (or understand) American history. I just can't chalk-up a lot of what she says to "gaffes". Whistle
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:05 am

TexasBlue wrote:But who really gives a shit? Bachmann even owed up to it. That oughta be enough for you.

No, her "owning up" made it so much worse:

"It was my mistake, Massachusetts is where they happened. New Hampshire is where they are still proud of it!"

The first gaffe is forgivable, but that's just a spit in the face to MA.

kronos

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Bachmann flubs Revolutionary War geography in NH Empty Gaffes (split/merge)

Post by i_luv_miley Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Moved from "Bachmann Exposes $105 Billion Secret"

https://superiorpolitics.forumotion.com/t1692-bachmann-exposes-105-billion-secret#12454

dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
Phyllis Schlafly wrote:We are fortunate that Bachmann is smart enough to figure out the cost of the secret money in ObamaCare. One of the smartest members of Congess, she was a tax attorney before being elected to Congress.
Rolling Eyes

If you had ever tried to read a single piece of legislation, never mind one nearly 3,000 pages long, you would understand just how big an accomplishment it was for Bachmann to ferret this information out.

I challenge you to read the bill she read and figure out the same things she did. Go ahead. The average person wouldn't make it past the first page.
And yet she's unable to understand high school-level American History & Geography. I say again: Rolling Eyes
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:24 am

i_luv_miley wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
Phyllis Schlafly wrote:We are fortunate that Bachmann is smart enough to figure out the cost of the secret money in ObamaCare. One of the smartest members of Congess, she was a tax attorney before being elected to Congress.
Rolling Eyes

If you had ever tried to read a single piece of legislation, never mind one nearly 3,000 pages long, you would understand just how big an accomplishment it was for Bachmann to ferret this information out.

I challenge you to read the bill she read and figure out the same things she did. Go ahead. The average person wouldn't make it past the first page.
And yet she's unable to understand high school-level American History & Geography. I say again: Rolling Eyes

Sure, let yourself believe that a simple gaff truly is indicitive of her actual knowledge of American history and geography. And Obama's statement that there are "58 states" is then indicative of his complete ignorance of America itself. Is that how you'd have it?
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:48 pm

dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Sure, let yourself believe that a simple gaff truly is indicitive of her actual knowledge of American history and geography. And Obama's statement that there are "58 states" is then indicative of his complete ignorance of America itself. Is that how you'd have it?
Actually, when put in those terms, yes that's how I would have it. Admit it! There's an ideological war happening between our "sides" and when one "side" makes a gaffe (or what they "perceive" to be), they'll call it out. My "side" will do exactly the same thing... Beyond that though, it's your "side" that seems to be wanting to re-write history (as well as geography apparently) and I will expose that. IMO (and the opinion of many others), the view of those people (i.e. Bachmann, Palin, Barbour, Perry, Cheney, Guiliani etc) is not only about their being ignorant of history, it's about their wanting to be. They want to believe that "their version" of history is how things actually occurred. Or is it (which I think it may be nowadays), that ignorance is actually considered a positive trait for some in the GOP? Rolling Eyes
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Actually, when put in those terms, yes that's how I would have it. Admit it! There's an ideological war happening between our "sides" and when one "side" makes a gaffe (or what they "perceive" to be), they'll call it out. My "side" will do exactly the same thing...

Well, I would like to think that I can look beyond the petty politics of finger-pointing when gaffs are made (I’ve made my own fair share in the many speeches I’ve delivered) by either side. The only reason that Tex listed Obama’s was as a counter to your original post. It would seem you believe in the validity of this sort of finger-pointing as a political tool – I do not. Nor do I believe that it speaks to the actual knowledge or intelligence of either side.

i_luv_miley wrote:Beyond that though, it's your "side" that seems to be wanting to re-write history (as well as geography apparently) and I will expose that.

Really? It’s “my side” wanting to rewrite history? Do you have an example of this? (And Bachmann’s gaff does not count, particularly as she has already corrected this.)

So please, do expose this rewriting of history by “my side” if you will.

i_luv_miley wrote:IMO (and the opinion of many others), the view of those people (i.e. Bachmann, Palin, Barbour, Perry, Cheney, Guiliani etc) is not only about their being ignorant of history, it's about their wanting to be. They want to believe that "their version" of history is how things actually occurred. Or is it (which I think it may be nowadays), that ignorance is actually considered a positive trait for some in the GOP? Rolling Eyes

Again, you are making blanket accusations with absolutely no corroborating evidence that what you are saying is true. You are imputing the motives of people without a single citation that backs your accusations.

You insult conservatives here by saying they consider ignorance a positive trait, and then give nothing to back that up.

Is this supposed to pass for thoughtful and reasoned debate?

How am I even supposed to answer something like this? There’s not a single specific here for me to even address?

dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 am

ILM once again you see the importance of backing up your statements. As it is I am in half a mind to lock this thread right now because it seems to serve no purpose beyond mudslinging. In the interests of the spirit of debate, please give examples or this thread will be locked.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:22 pm

God, here we go again...

Bachmann - the founding fathers fought against slavery (no they didn't), Obama is spending 50 billion a day in India (no he didn't), Concord is in New Hampshire (when the one she was referencing is actually in Massachusetts) Rolling Eyes
Palin - everything she says
Barbour - supports the KKK
Perry - changing textbooks in Texas to support his views
Cheney - everything he says
Guiliani - there were no terrorist attacks under Bush Rolling Eyes
Bush - they hate us for our freedom y'all

Quit protecting dblboggie's rhetoric! His "facts" are nothing more than right-wing BS. Rolling Eyes
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:04 pm

Here we go again indeed.

i_luv_miley wrote:Quit protecting dblboggie's rhetoric! His "facts" are nothing more than right-wing BS. Rolling Eyes

We've got two back-to-back accusations here--not impressive. I'm going to require politely ask you to back at least the second one (unless Matt locks the thread first). Please point out specifically which facts asserted by dbl in this thread are BS, or retract the comment. Note: "everything he says" is not an answer.

There are some things in your post I'd actually like to agree with, but because of your conduct, that needs to take a back seat. Please stop making so much work for me. Thank you.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:42 pm

kronos wrote:Here we go again indeed.

We've got two back-to-back accusations here--not impressive. I'm going to require politely ask you to back at least the second one (unless Matt locks the thread first). Please point out specifically which facts asserted by dbl in this thread are BS. Note: "everything he says" is not an answer.
Everyone in here knows where dblboggie's ideas come from - right-wing conspiracy theories and his head. I won't debate his "facts" when they're lies wrong to begin with.

kronos wrote:There are some things in your post I'd actually like to agree with, but because of your conduct, that needs to take a back seat. Please stop making so much work for me. Thank you.
If you will take a look at virtually every post he's made in this forum, I would submit that it's dblboggie's "conduct" that should be questioned (again and again)... He's an instigator. And hey, at least you admit that you agree with some of my points. I appreciate that. But then how about supporting me instead of attacking me? Yeah, my "conduct" may be questionable, but dblboggie's "attitude" is the reason.

Last edited by i_luv_miley on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added bold comment for clarity)
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 pm

You need to stop making debate so intensely personal.

I found dbl's conduct in this thread perfectly reasonable, and yours, unreasonable. Nothing outside this thread is relevant to what I am about to do.

I am not "attacking" you, and I am not going to "support" you just because I agree with you. My mandate is to enforce the rules fairly.

Feel free to take any further comments to PM or with Tex.

Thread locked.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum