Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible?

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible? Empty Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible?

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun May 02, 2010 7:14 am

This issue has come up before both on here and on SP so I thought I would clarify the criteria for being a member state of the EU based on this statement that TexasBlue made a couple of days ago.

TexasBlue wrote:I didn't know that. I guess that would be like if we started a North American Union (US, Canada & Mexico) and we could live in any of those other two countries. Eeek! Nobody would move to Mexico except Tequila lovers.
Well as I have said before, not just anybody can join the EU. Being in Europe geographically isn't enough. There are economic and political criteria that must be fulfilled (as set down in the Copenhagen Criteria). Must be democratic, must have a good human rights record etc, hence the debate over whether Turkey should be allowed to join.

Against
* Most of the country (97%) is in Asia
* Its make up is 90% muslim as opposed to Christian majorities of most other current member states and the atheist majorities of several former Soviet countries
* Alleged persecution of Orthodox Christians. The Primacy of the regional Patriarch is not recognised by the Turkish state
* Unresolved issues with Greece over Cyprus - North Cyprus recognised only by Turkey

For
* Turkey is a fiercely secular country, anti-Islamism and proud of their secular heritage (no official state religion despite demographic).
* The western areas of Turkey are westernised
* There is easy access between Greece and Turkey
* Historical links with Byzantine Empire
* Free and democratic elections as set down in the Copenhagen Criteria
* Good relations with Europe has always been a key factor in foreign and economic policy

I would like to see a trial period for Turkey, there are differences that are going to need addressing but those problems are not insurmountable.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible? Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible? Empty Re: Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible?

Post by TexasBlue Sun May 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Sounds like a trial period would be workable. There's nothing i can really say bad about Turkey myself. They're basically a non-issue when it comes to American policy. But of course, this is for Europe and your EU.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible? Empty Re: Criteria for joining the EU - is Turkey eligible?

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 am

My brother owns a villa in Turkey and he said that socially, western Turkey is no different from Greece. The only obvious difference is that the majority of the population is Muslim rather than Orthodox Christian.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am

A friend of mine who was in the Air Force was stationed there with his wife for about 4 years. He said it was a real sh!t hole. I think it was Incirlik, Turkey.

My memories of Turks is when i was stationed in northern Germany in '82 and '83. They didn't like us American one single iota. Nada. The looks they gave you was chilling at times. Of course, i was young then... around 18-19.

Last edited by TexasBlue on Mon May 03, 2010 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Well I suppose it depends where you go. Western Turkey, the affluent tourist areas, have embraced western culture and don't seem to have a problem. The east is very arab, with a growing Islamist agenda. I suppose Turkey is a country of two worlds.

I haven't been (yet) so I can't comment. Was hoping to visit my brother's villa next month but we can't afford the flights.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Hopefully the gov't there can keep those nut jobs in the east in check. That's all we need... another fundy Islamic creep show.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue May 04, 2010 4:52 am

Their Constitution is a secular one, as set down by Attaturk. I'm hopeful that they can work toward EU integration and fulfil the criteria.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 am

Though i don't have a stake in it, it would be a good thing for them and you people.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue May 04, 2010 12:48 pm

I think so but it may be necessary to keep a watchful eye on them. In some ways, they may require assistance if Islamists attempted to seize more power.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Nothing a few Daisy Cutters can't fix. Very Happy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLU-82
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum