Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores Empty Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

Post by TexasBlue Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:38 pm

More bullshit from our Komrade in Chief.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores Admin210

Back to top Go down

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores Empty Re: Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Does this mean if an 8 year-old kid from a farming family collects eggs from a hen house the parents can be arrested?
If so, these government officials are really stupid.
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm

TheNextPrez2012 wrote:Does this mean if an 8 year-old kid from a farming family collects eggs from a hen house the parents can be arrested?
If so, these government officials are really stupid.

Yes. You're getting wise beyond belief.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Okay I changed my mind on this
While not allowing a kid to get eggs from a hen house is absurd, this list as shown below does merit some scrutiny

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores B1daeb187246282

Silos, stockyards, and auctions may be a bit over the top for wee little tykes (did you see what happened to Danny Glover in "Witness" when he was in a silo?) Half Grin

So yeah.
Don't stop them from getting eggs but draw the line at big boy stuff.
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Can't disagree with most of that. But what's described there is usually on very huge farms.

My grandfather was a farmer and my uncle currently has a farm. Not saying I know everything about this, but there's more to it than meets the eye.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 07, 2012 7:52 pm

Obama Labor Department Won’t Ban Kids’ Farm Chores

Walter Olson
cato-at-liberty.org
May 3, 2012

Farm families, along with the cause of liberty, won an important battle last week when the Obama administration scrapped plans to prohibit kids from doing a wide range of jobs in agriculture, even on farms belonging to their own family members. The rules would have barred youngsters under 16 from working with animals, storage bins, power-driven equipment, and various other things found on farms; perhaps most significant, they took an exceedingly narrow view of the so-called parental exemption provided by the law, so that (in the rules as proposed last year) kids would have been forbidden to work on an uncle or grandparent’s farm, or any farm less than “wholly” owned by their own parents. The Department of Labor was inundated by upwards of 10,000 comments, overwhelmingly negative, from farmers and ranchers; playing out in press outlets like the Custer County, Neb. Chief, the controversy was mostly ignored by the Eastern press, though NPR did do a report in December.

Commentator Ira Stoll has connected the dots about the Obama administration’s tendency to press ahead on extreme regulatory measures, then back off after a public outcry builds:

Examples include the mandatory automobile back-up camera rule, the ban of all cellphone use, even hands-free, while driving, the ban on 100 watt incandescent light bulbs, the NLRB’s action preventing Boeing from opening a factory in South Carolina, a right-to-work state, and the IRS’s cumbersome Form 1099 requirement as part of Obamacare.

Last fall I noted the same pattern, including retreats on EPA standards on dust, smog, and cross-state air pollution, and a misbegotten rule on lead abatement that could have made it prohibitively expensive to rehabilitate older homes. As I said at the time:

This, then, seems to be the new Obama administration compromise position …: they’ll hold off for now on saddling the economy with at least some potentially ruinous regulations — but they’ll make sure you know they’re not happy about having to take that stand.

More on the Obama administration and regulation here.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 pm

I figured this out. Farmers are generally a constituency of Democrats. Read between the lines. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down