Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voting reform referendum planned for next May

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Voting reform referendum planned for next May Empty Voting reform referendum planned for next May

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:58 pm

A referendum on changing the UK's voting system is planned for 5 May 2011, the BBC understands.

A vote on changing from first-past-the-post to the alternative vote (AV) could be held on the day of Holyrood, Welsh
Assembly and English local elections.

But the government must first get it through Parliament and may face a rebellion by Tory MPs. Many Labour MPs oppose a referendum - something pledged as part of the Tory-Lib Dem coalition deal. It is thought the referendum will be linked to plans to change constituency boundaries - a key concern of the Conservatives but something fiercely opposed by Labour.

'Unfair'

The Tories pledged to make constituency sizes more "equal" in their manifesto - Labour say the plans are designed to eliminate smaller inner-city seats which they hold.

The proposed date of the referendum is due to be confirmed at a cabinet meeting next Tuesday and is likely to be announced by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg later that day.

But legislation will not be debated until the autumn and may face a sizeable rebellion. Under the coalition deal, Tory MPs will be whipped to support a referendum - but will then be free to campaign against a change. The Tories say the existing first-past-the-post system guarantees strong, stable government, while Lib Dems argue it is inherently unfair on smaller parties and allows candidates to be elected despite getting the support of only a minority of constituents.

Under the proposed AV system, voters rank candidates in order of preference and anyone getting more than 50% in the first round is elected.

If that does not happen, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and voters' second choices allocated to the remaining candidates.

This process continues until a winner emerges.

A government source said holding the referendum on the same day as the elections should improve voter turnout.

The Liberal Democrats are set to campaign for the new system, while the Conservatives will oppose it.

The BBC's deputy political editor James Landale said the outcome could determine how long the coalition survived.

For many Lib Dems, it was the one reason they agreed to take part, he said, and if they lost, it could be a reason to leave. Conservative MP Daniel Kawczynski, chairman of the all-party group for the promotion of first-past-the-post, said he was "very concerned" about AV and he would campaign "vigorously" against it.

Under AV, he said: "There are millions of Britons out there, like me, who have one preference - in my case it is the Conservative Party. We will be voting once, and yet other people will be given a second vote, and that is creating two classes of voters which is simply unacceptable."

But campaign group the Electoral Reform Society welcomed the news. A spokesman said: "This is a fantastic opportunity to turn the page on the old politics and an old system that's served it so well. This is a real chance for change."

'Peripheral issue'

The previous Labour government also promised a referendum on the AV system, which it planned to hold in autumn 2011. But Labour may choose to give its MPs - many of whom oppose changing the voting system - a free vote on the matter. Shadow foreign secretary David Miliband told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that if he wins the Labour leadership contest, he will back a referendum and allow activists to campaign in favour of a switch to AV.

He said: "I think it's important that we move to a system where every Member of Parliament has at least 50% of the vote of their constituents. At the moment only a third of MPs have that 50% backing.

"Alternative vote, which allows you to rank your preferences... allows that to happen."

His brother Ed, another leadership candidate, also said he would support changing the voting system.

He said: "I strongly support the case for introducing the Alternative Vote, to ensure greater fairness for voters and greater legitimacy for our MPs in Westminster. Whenever the referendum takes place, I will campaign with other supporters across the political spectrum for this important change."

But another leadership candidate, shadow health secretary Andy Burnham, told the Guardian that voting reform was "irrelevant" and "a peripheral issue".

"It is not my party's job to prop up the Liberal Democrats by helping them win a referendum that is important to them," he told the newspaper

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10483841.stm

David Cameron apparently has already said that though he supports the referrendum, he will be campaigning against it.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Voting reform referendum planned for next May Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Voting reform referendum planned for next May Empty Re: Voting reform referendum planned for next May

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Looks like a mess to me. But then i'm across the pond. Arrow
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Voting reform referendum planned for next May Admin210

Back to top Go down

Voting reform referendum planned for next May Empty Re: Voting reform referendum planned for next May

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:05 pm

A lot of people feel it doesn't work the way it should any more. We have many parties of varying sizes, and an increasing nationalism of the individual countries within the Union, that from one perspective, "first past the post" is starting to become counterproductive.

I will probably vote for reform as it stands at the moment, but I'll read both arguments before deciding next May.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Increasing nationalism is in one way a good thing. Keeps a nations identity. It can be bad because it fosters the rise of far right wing groups that capitalize on it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:52 am

Well so far, we haven't seen it as too much of a problem and it is being harnessed in a positive way. Plaid Cymru are the Welsh nationalist party, SNP are the Scottish Nationalists, there are a number of Northern Ireland parties all representing their nationalism in different ways. I'm sure there are extreme elements in those countries. In England it is the English Democrats who, though they still do not have an MP, gained more votes at this election than ever before.

I genuinely now see the constituent countries of the UK slowly drifting apart and I wouldn't be surprised if England does get its own Parliament soon (within the next 10-20 years).
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:08 am

You mean splitting up Wales, England and Scotland? You think the UK could end up as 3 different countries in a few decades?

Last edited by TexasBlue on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 am

Don't forget Northern Ireland. Well we are separate countries really... sort of. I consider myself more English than British, and always refer to myself as English.

No, what I see happening is four separate assemblies (the other three countries already have them) that deal with issues concerning only those countries, with Westminster Parliament handling with issues that concerns the entire Union (foreign policy, taxation, law, regulation, policing, military, foreign policy).
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:14 am

I see. 4 countries within a country. That's what it sounds like to me. It's like having states like we have but on steroids. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 am

Three countries, that became provinces of one newly formed country, then took another piece of another country to form one country. Now some of those countries want independence from the others breaking up the one country into three or four countries. Headache, much?
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:53 pm

(scratches head) Voting reform referendum planned for next May Scratc10
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:00 pm

I'll probably do a post soon to explain why Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the way it is and how it came to be in the first place.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:03 pm

That would be cool. Nothing like reading history (for me at least).
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down