Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech Empty McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:03 pm

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech

Alexander Bolton
The Hill
Aug. 5, 2010

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) scolded Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) on the Senate floor Thursday for allegedly mocking him while he delivered a solemn speech on Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

The dust-up came seconds after McConnell delivered a speech on Kagan’s nomination shortly before the Senate voted to confirm her to the high court.

Franken, who was presiding over the chamber from the dais, gesticulated and made faces while McConnell explained his opposition to Kagan, according to witnesses.

The television cameras broadcasting the speech on C-SPAN remained fixed on McConnell, missing Franken’s antics from the Senate president’s chair.

McConnell grew increasingly angry as Franken made fun of him before a crowded public gallery and Senate aides lining the chamber walls. Senate aides said they were shocked that Franken would flout the decorum of the chamber during such a solemn occasion.

After McConnell finished his remarks, he walked up to the dais and rebuked him.

“This is not 'Saturday Night Live,' Al,” McConnell said, making reference to Franken’s career as a writer and actor on NBC’s long-running comedy show, according to a witness who overheard the exchange.

After the vote, Franken walked to McConnell's office to apologize but couldn't find him. He has sent a personal note, instead.

"The Leader thought I was disrespectful while he was giving his speech on General Kagan," Franken said in a statement to The Hill. "He is entitled to give his speech with the presiding officer just listening respectfully. I went directly to his office after I was done presiding to apologize in person. He wasn’t there, so I’ve sent him a handwritten note.”

Franken, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, voted for Kagan. Thirty-six Republicans, including McConnell, voted against her.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech Admin210

Back to top Go down

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech Empty Re: McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm

For those wondering what a Dais is, it's a platform behind (in this case) the speaker of the Senate. Franken was on the dais as one of the people running the Senate Judiciary Committee.

His actions speak louder than his apology. The man is a disgrace and never should've been elected by my state. I knew this side of the man would come out sooner or later. I've read enough of his "satire" to know what he really is. Plus, he fell asleep (on camera) during the Kagan hearings. He was caught doodling (on camera) while Kagan was being grilled by another senator. A real profession guy.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech Empty Re: McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 pm

It may be inappropriate behavior but Joe Wilson didn't do the GOP any favors with his actions. Rolling Eyes
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

McConnell scolds Franken for making faces from dais during his speech Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:59 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:It may be inappropriate behavior but Joe Wilson didn't do the GOP any favors with his actions. Rolling Eyes

This is why everyone needs to vote out incumbents. Wilson was out of line and Franken was out of line. There's no place for it when in congress. Franken isn't winning any hearts in Minnesota as it is. But he has 4 more years to go before he gets sent packing.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 pm

I agree that the disrespect needs to stop. The problem is that someone has to be first to stop. And especially given the venom in politics (in DC as well as on TV) nowadays, that ain't likely. And it's more than just disrespect in congress, it's disrespect for people that disagree with each other anywhere. People just need to chill. But again I don't see that happening. Case in point: I almost logged-in and posted something at SP earlier today. There's a thread in there where someone (who I happen to agree with) is not only getting basted by three others (including you-know-who), but the moderator has joined in the attack. And IMO, he only did that to further stir things up. It just needs to stop. And I don't see it happening until people are held more accountable. slapping head

In the end, I didn't post anything. bounce
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:38 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:I agree that the disrespect needs to stop. The problem is that someone has to be first to stop. And especially given the venom in politics (in DC as well as on TV) nowadays, that ain't likely. And it's more than just disrespect in congress, it's disrespect for people that disagree with each other anywhere. People just need to chill. But again I don't see that happening. Case in point: I almost logged-in and posted something at SP earlier today. There's a thread in there where someone (who I happen to agree with) is not only getting basted by three others (including you-know-who), but the moderator has joined in the attack. And IMO, he only did that to further stir things up. It just needs to stop. And I don't see it happening until people are held more accountable. slapping head

In the end, I didn't post anything. bounce

It all starts with leadership. When the leadership starts to repair things in a sincere way, things will stop out there. Not happening quite yet. We'll see with the new congress in January.

I've been watching that thread and the three piling on are correct. Remember, one of them is a left-of-center guy. The guy on the receiving end stepped in his own shit, so to speak.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 pm

Obviously you know of the thread I'm talking about and obviously we're going to disagree with what's happening. That's fine. I don't mean to bring that argument into here. But apparently disagreeing with the powers-that-be in there isn't okay. It grounds for attack - and let's face it, some of you-know-who's have been borderline personal, but of course the moderator won't do anything about it. The fact is, the person (I agree with) has made valid points - but nobody cares because everyone else is on the "other side". And that's what really pees me off about the place. The hypocrisy in there is mind-blowing! And yet, when people are caught, nobody apologizes. I mean look at "carlwhats-his-name" (the italian(?) guy). IMO, he says it like it is in there, but yet he gets no credit - and then gets attacked for his "European" views. IMO, that section isn't for "debate". It's only meant to stir up stuff. And that's my whole point - the level of BS in politics has been building for years, but instead of calling-out those causing the problem, the "other side" initiates their own BS. And in the end, all of it becomes BS. And that's what needs to stop.

So I say again, until one side decides to stop playing politics, the BS (in the forum and in politics in general) will undoubtedly continue.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 am

i_luv_miley wrote:Obviously you know of the thread I'm talking about and obviously we're going to disagree with what's happening. That's fine. I don't mean to bring that argument into here. But apparently disagreeing with the powers-that-be in there isn't okay. It grounds for attack - and let's face it, some of you-know-who's have been borderline personal, but of course the moderator won't do anything about it. The fact is, the person (I agree with) has made valid points - but nobody cares because everyone else is on the "other side". And that's what really pees me off about the place. The hypocrisy in there is mind-blowing! And yet, when people are caught, nobody apologizes. I mean look at "carlwhats-his-name" (the italian(?) guy). IMO, he says it like it is in there, but yet he gets no credit - and then gets attacked for his "European" views. IMO, that section isn't for "debate". It's only meant to stir up stuff. And that's my whole point - the level of BS in politics has been building for years, but instead of calling-out those causing the problem, the "other side" initiates their own BS. And in the end, all of it becomes BS. And that's what needs to stop.

So I say again, until one side decides to stop playing politics, the BS (in the forum and in politics in general) will undoubtedly continue.

It's why i don't go there much these days. It's almost dead in there for the most part.

As for the mod, Moon has no power to do much except edit posts and that's it. 🇳🇴
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum