Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Empty Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:47 pm

Obama tears into Republican adversaries, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November

Mark S. Smith
Associated Press
Sept. 18, 2010

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama came out swinging against Republicans in a fiery campaign-season speech to black lawmakers Saturday night, making an urgent appeal for the kind of grassroots organizing that propelled the civil rights movement.

With the Republican Party hoping to regain power on Capitol Hill in the November election, Obama described his adversaries as "a crowd ... that wants to do what's right politically, instead of what's right — period." He never named the opposing party, referring to it as "the other side."

"I need everybody here to go back to your neighborhoods, and your workplaces, to your churches, and barbershops, and beauty shops. Tell them we have more work to do. Tell them we can't wait to organize. Tell them that the time for action is now," Obama said in his remarks.

The first black president also said the recession had struck "with a particular vengeance on African-American communities" and he defended his approach to reviving the sour economy.

Members of "the other side," Obama said, "want to take us backward. We want to move America forward. In fact, they're betting that you'll come down with a case of amnesia. That you'll forget about what their agenda did to this country when they were in charge. Remember, these are the folks who spent almost a decade driving the economy into a ditch. And now they're asking for the keys back."

With polls showing his party facing a wide "enthusiasm gap" with the Republican Party, Obama sought to rally an important constituency in his speech.

"What made the civil rights movement possible were foot soldiers like so many of you, sitting down at lunch counters and standing up for freedom. What made it possible for me to be here today are Americans throughout our history making our union more equal, making our union more just, making our union more perfect," Obama said. "That's what we need again."

The caucus is a group reeling from ethics charges against two leading members, Democratic Reps. Charles Rangel of New York and Maxine Waters of California. Republicans are preparing TV ads spotlighting the cases, even though House trials are now not expected until after the November election.

The cases complicate an already difficulty electoral landscape for Obama's party, with polls showing Republicans energized and Democrats unenthusiastic about the vote.

A recent AP-GfK poll found that 84 per cent of Republicans believe their party will seize control of Congress in November. Just 51 per cent of Democrats thought their party would keep it.

While neither party's rank and file thinks much of politics these days, Democrats' feelings have slumped badly. Just 26 per cent said they're "excited," compared with 80 per cent when Obama was elected.

For Obama, the caucus dinner at the Washington Convention Center capped a week of concerted outreach to minority supporters, a traditional wellspring of Democratic strength.

The effort began Monday with a White House reception for black college officials. It included speeches by the president on Wednesday to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and by first lady Michelle Obama to a black caucus legislative conference that same day.

Last week, Obama was interviewed on "The Tom Joyner Show" radio program, which enjoys a large black audience.

Black caucus members have been staunch backers of the first African- American president. But they've also voiced concern that he hasn't done enough to help struggling black families.

They point to persistent high inner-city unemployment and a new census report showing a jump in poverty on Obama's watch. The poverty rate was 14.3 per cent, with the ranks of working-age poor at the highest since the 1960s. For blacks, the rate was 25.8 per cent and for Hispanics it was 25.3 per cent.

Obama told Joyner he knows unemployment has been "brutal," especially among African-Americans, but he compared the economy to a patient recovering from an accident. "It can't run yet, but it's walking," he said.

The president told the Hispanic group he is committed to an immigration overhaul, even though it has stalled in Congress. He blamed GOP opposition and said Hispanic voters should keep that in mind.

"You have every right to keep the heat on me and keep the heat on the Democrats," he said. "But don't forget who is standing with you, and who is standing against you. ... Your voice can make the difference."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Admin210

Back to top Go down

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Empty Re: Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:48 pm

A pure sign of desperation. He knows his agenda is fooked after November 2.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Admin210

Back to top Go down

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Empty Re: Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:55 pm

He should have done this two years ago. Whistle
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:00 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:He should have done this two years ago. Whistle

A little late for that. The damage is done.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:16 pm

TexasBlue wrote:

Agreed. But I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up hurting the GOP even more than Obama. Let's not forget, Obama spent two years trying to work with the GOP. That was his biggest mistake, IMO. At least now it looks like he's getting back on his original message.

See you guys in November. Snicker
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:42 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:

Agreed. But I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up hurting the GOP even more than Obama. Let's not forget, Obama spent two years trying to work with the GOP. That was his biggest mistake, IMO. At least now it looks like he's getting back on his original message.

He never worked with shit. Pelosi and Reid wouldn't allow GOP amendments to bills crafted by the Dems. If Obama wanted the GOP to be involved, he could've told Pelosi/Reid to allow GOP amendments. Don't make me post the proof. In fact, those stats are here on this board somewhere on an old thread. But alas, i have those stats at the ready from congressional web sites.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:

I respectfully disagree with you here ILM. Obama NEVER tried to work with the GOP, nor did the House or Senate Democrats. I would love to know where you got this information, because it is patently false. The Democrats purposely excluded the Republican's from any participation in the drafting of the "stimulus" bill, the "health care reform" bill or the "finance reform" bill, or any other significant matters on the Hill.

Please, tell me how Obama "spent two years trying to work with the GOP," because I know this not to be the case.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:02 pm

ILM, I want you to Google these bills from the House relating to the health care bill.

H.R. 77; H.R. 109; H.R. 198; H.R. 270; H.R. 321; H.R. 464; H.R. 502; H.R. 544; H.R. 917; H.R. 1086; H.R. 1118; H.R. 1441; H.R. 1458; H.R. 1468; H.R. 1658; H.R. 1891; H.R. 2520; H.R. 2607; H.R. 2692; H.R. 2784; H.R. 2785; H.R. 2786; H.R. 2787; H.R. 3141; H.R. 3217; H.R. 3218; H.R. 3356; H.R. 3372; H.R. 3400; H.R. 3438; H.R. 3454; and H.R. 3478.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:08 pm

TexasBlue wrote:ILM, I want you to Google these bills from the House relating to the health care bill.

H.R. 77; H.R. 109; H.R. 198; H.R. 270; H.R. 321; H.R. 464; H.R. 502; H.R. 544; H.R. 917; H.R. 1086; H.R. 1118; H.R. 1441; H.R. 1458; H.R. 1468; H.R. 1658; H.R. 1891; H.R. 2520; H.R. 2607; H.R. 2692; H.R. 2784; H.R. 2785; H.R. 2786; H.R. 2787; H.R. 3141; H.R. 3217; H.R. 3218; H.R. 3356; H.R. 3372; H.R. 3400; H.R. 3438; H.R. 3454; and H.R. 3478.

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November 14v7kn7 While the Democrats were wailing that the Republican's contributed nothing more than saying no to "reform" the truth was that they'd offered a number of legislative measures that were completely ignored by the Democrats, and more tellingly, by the mainstream media.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:21 pm

dblboggie wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:ILM, I want you to Google these bills from the House relating to the health care bill.

Obama tears into Republicans, asks black lawmakers to rally voters for November 14v7kn7 While the Democrats were wailing that the Republican's contributed nothing more than saying no to "reform" the truth was that they'd offered a number of legislative measures that were completely ignored by the Democrats, and more tellingly, by the mainstream media.

Exactly. These were amendments to that bill as you know.

For those reading (lurkers) who don't know what an amendment to a bill is, it's when politicians add things to it or to take away small bits or pieces of it. Allowing amendments is a bi-partisan thing to do. It allows the opposition to have a say. Of course, the party in power has every right under House rules to reject some or all amendments. That isn't the issue. The issue is when people say that the GOP "had no ideas" for the bill... that's a complete distortion of the truth. These amendments are part of congressional record. One just has to go look them up.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down