Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Refundable Tax Credits

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Refundable Tax Credits Empty Refundable Tax Credits

Post by TexasBlue Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Refundable Tax Credits

Neal Boortz
November 12, 2010

I mentioned on the air yesterday this concept of "refundable tax credits." I know .. sounds like a yawner, but stay with me. Now keep in mind the fact that 47% of Americans in 2009 paid zero income taxes. But on top of that, there is a good chance that many of them benefited from "refundable tax credits," which means that the government actually sent them a check at the end of the tax year! How did we get to this point? Well let's go back to the days of George W. Bush. The Heritage Foundation has a great explanation of how we came about these refundable tax credits ......

Rather than exclude these Americans, lawmakers used the tax code to subsidize them. (Some economists would say this made that group's collective tax burden negative.)First, lawmakers lowered the initial tax brackets from 15 percent to 10 percent and then expanded the refundable child tax credit, which, along with the refundable earned income tax credit (EITC), reduced the typical low-income tax burden to well below zero. As a result, the U.S. Treasury now mails tax "refunds" to a large proportion of these Americans that exceed the amounts of tax that they actually paid. All in all, the number of tax filers with zero or negative income tax liability rose from 30 million to 40 million, or about 30 percent of all tax filers.

The remaining 70 percent of tax filers received lower income tax rates, lower investment taxes, and lower estate taxes from the 2001 legislation.

Consequently, from 2000 to 2004, the share of all individual income taxes paid by the bottom 40 percent dropped from zero percent to -4 percent, meaning that the average family in those quintiles received a subsidy from the IRS. By contrast, the share paid by the top quintile of households (by income) increased from 81 percent to 85 percent.

Expanding the data to include all federal taxes, the share paid by the top quintile edged up from 66.6 percent in 2000 to 67.1 percent in 2004, while the bottom 40 percent's share dipped from 5.9 percent to 5.4 percent. Clearly, the tax cuts have led to the rich shouldering more of the income tax burden and the poor shouldering less.

OK ... let me hear that argument about the rich not paying their fair share again?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Refundable Tax Credits Admin210

Back to top Go down