Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember Pearl Harbor

2 posters

Go down

Remember Pearl Harbor Empty Remember Pearl Harbor

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 pm

December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor attack remembered by NYC vets who lived it

BY Michael J. Feeney AND Corky Siemaszko
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Tuesday, December 7th 2010, 3:46 PM

Remember Pearl Harbor Alg_pearl_harbor_intrepid Handschuh/News
Rev William Kalaidjin salutes on the Intrepid to mark the 69th anniversary of the attack at Pearl Harbor which ignited WWII.

The three elderly men braving the bitter cold to mark the 69th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack on Tuesday clearly illustrated how time has ravaged the ranks of the survivors.

"It's a very sad thing," said Clark Simmons, 89, of Brooklyn, as he stood shivering on the deck of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum with two other New Yorkers who lived through the attack. "I remember when we used to have 40 to 50 survivors."

Simmons was 20 when the Japanese launched the surprise attack that plunged the U.S. into World War II. He said his memories of Dec. 7, 1941, have not faded.

"I remember it like it was yesterday," said Simmons, who was aboard the USS Utah when his ship was sunk. "All I knew is we were under attack. I was swimming for my life."

Simmons, who was wounded in the head and leg by bullets and shrapnel, said "it's something we weren't prepared for."

"People compare it to 9/11," he said. "I saw both. There's really no comparison. It's something I'll never forget."

Aaron Chabin, 87, of Bayside, Queens, said he was reading a newspaper in his Army barracks when the Japanese struck.

"I ran down to get my weapon," he said. "We just did what we were supposed to do. We didn't know what it was."

Daniel Fruchter, who is 92, said he was eating breakfast when bombs began hitting the ground just 50 feet from him - and he survived only because they were duds.

"Otherwise I would not be here," said Fruchter, of Eastchester.

While he was unscathed, the Army vet said everything else around him was "one large massive flame and fire."

"We were not prepared for an attack," he said.

Fruchter said Pearl Harbor should remain a reminder that America needs to be vigilant about threats from abroad.

"Remember Pearl Harbor," he said. "Keep America alert."

Remember Pearl Harbor Moz-screenshotRemember Pearl Harbor Moz-screenshot-1
dblboggie
dblboggie

Remember Pearl Harbor Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Remember Pearl Harbor Empty Re: Remember Pearl Harbor

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Sad to see this people dwindling away over the years.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Remember Pearl Harbor Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Sad yes, but no one lives forever. Soon we will no longer have WWII veterans around to remind us of the enormous sacrifice this generation made to defeat the forces of tyranny, even so, we should never forget.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 pm

That's until the next crisis comes along. Then I wonder how the current generation will respond?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:33 pm

TexasBlue wrote:That's until the next crisis comes along. Then I wonder how the current generation will respond?

To be honest, I think we still have enough among this current generation that will step up and do the right thing. We have an all volunteer military now, and there are a lot of kids who are college educated and joining today, despite the fact that they know they will be deployed to a war zone.

We still have some reasons to hope that all is not yet lost.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:46 pm

Yeah, you might be right. I still have less confidence in this generation if it came to a big time problem. I dunno.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:07 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Yeah, you might be right. I still have less confidence in this generation if it came to a big time problem. I dunno.

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. But if one ignores the mainstream media output, it is at least a little easier to have just a modicum of faith in our future. Not a lot mind you, but some.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I think it's just the generation gap. The older generation always scorns the last.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I think it's just the generation gap. The older generation always scorns the last.

And the younger generation always scorns the previous... it's a cycle that has repeated itself since the beginning of recorded history, and has likely preceded recorded history. This is just human nature. And human nature is the one immutable force in human history.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:22 pm

I can't wait till I'm 80 and can cuss out the kids. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:25 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I can't wait till I'm 80 and can cuss out the kids. ROFL

Snicker hell, i'm only 57 and i still cuss out the kids... some of them really are morons...
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:28 pm

My thing is that when I'm 80, I'll have an excuse.... being old and decrepit.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 pm

TexasBlue wrote:My thing is that when I'm 80, I'll have an excuse.... being old and decrepit.

Well hell, some people already think I'm old and decrepit... especially the younger ones. And yet in my old age I've taken taekwondo and gotten as far as a purple belt (the next being brown), been spelunking, bungee jumping, rappeling, scuba diving and sky diving. And if I come into any sort of money in my future, I will certainly take all of these activities back up (save taekowndo because my knees can't take it anymore) again. These youngsters will have quite a different view when they get old... such is life... Snicker
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm taking up trying to act my part.... being old and grumpy.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down