Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Empty US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm

United States to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

Ed Hornick
CNN
January 28, 2011

Washington (CNN) -- The United States will review its aid to Egypt based on protests and the government's response, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Friday.

"We will be reviewing our assistance posture based on events now and in the coming days," he told reporters.

Thousands of angry protesters took to the streets again Friday demanding an end to the 30-year-rule of President Hosni Mubarak.

In a carefully worded press conference, Gibbs said that President Barack Obama has not spoken with Mubarak.

Gibbs urged restraint and called for everyone involved to refrain from using violence.

The White House is "deeply concerned about the images and the events we see in Egypt today," he said.

"The situation should be addressed through concrete reforms. That's what the people of Egypt demand. That's what they deserve," said Gibbs.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Admin210

Back to top Go down

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Empty Re: US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

Post by dblboggie Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:18 pm

I am very deeply concerned that we may have another "Iran" on our hands if this is not dealt with properly.
dblboggie
dblboggie

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Senmem10

Back to top Go down

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Empty Re: US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm

I already have a prediction:

Egypt, Yemen and Jordan will fall to religious fundamentalist control. Then there will be a lot of wagging at Israel. Then there will be a war there like we've never seen before.

All over a course of a year or two.

Of course, I hope my prediction doesn't happen.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:29 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I already have a prediction:

Egypt, Yemen and Jordan will fall to religious fundamentalist control. Then there will be a lot of wagging at Israel. Then there will be a war there like we've never seen before.

I most sincerely hope that you are wrong. Sadly, I cannot now say that such a result might not come to pass.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

TexasBlue wrote:United States to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests

Ed Hornick
CNN
January 28, 2011

Washington (CNN) -- The United States will review its aid to Egypt based on protests and the government's response, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Friday.

one wonders who the US is trying to put pressure on ???

the Egyptian government ???
the Egyptian people ???
and on who's behalf ???

while there are so many questions need to be asked.. there is no doubting the bravery of the Egyptian people.. who are willing to stand up to their bad government and their backers.. we must wish them well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:29 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I already have a prediction:

Why ???

it is the whole of the Egyptian people.. Christians, Muslims and even the Communists who are standing to to their bad government and it's backers.. we can only hope the new Egypt [no matter what happens now, Egypt can not go on in the same manner as before] will move far away from Israel and their illegal blockade.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:49 pm

You take things too literal. I just made a prediction.

Now that you've said that, why can't you respect the USA voters when they boot people out of office like they did last fall? Or is it because you disagree with who those voters are?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:12 pm

TexasBlue wrote:You take things too literal. I just made a prediction.

Now that you've said that, why can't you respect the USA voters when they boot people out of office like they did last fall? Or is it because you disagree with who those voters are?

I knew it was a prediction.. but a prediction biased on what you see happening in Egypt.

my respect for the American voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a would be more extreme government to one of the most powerful nations.. my respect for the German voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a more extreme government in the 1930's.. my respect for the Spanish voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a more extreme government in the 1950's.. ect..

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:39 pm

cable2 wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:You take things too literal. I just made a prediction.

I knew it was a prediction.. but a prediction biased on what you see happening in Egypt.

my respect for the American voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a would be more extreme government to one of the most powerful nations.. my respect for the German voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a more extreme government in the 1930's.. my respect for the Spanish voters don't color my fear that those voters brought in a more extreme government in the 1950's.. ect..

There is a world of difference between Western nations and those of the Middle East, politically, religiously, and culturally. Most of these Middle Eastern countries have constitutions that make Islam their official state religion and the Qur'an and Sharia the basis of their laws. And many of them are already theocracies (some brutal) and dictatorships. It is not inconceivable that what happened in Iran could happen in Egypt... and happen quite easily. We have already heard broadcast news reports of the banned Muslim Brotherhood being involved in these riots in Egypt. And you can be sure that if this situation escalates, even more extremist elements are sure to surface sensing an opportunity. I very much fear what might become of Egypt if this thing gets any more out of hand.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:07 am

One difference between Egypt and Iran in that there is no Khomeini-type figure in Egypt.

Khomeini was the creator of his revolution (and it really was "his"). He was its architect. It Founding Father. Its face. Its focus. Its heart and soul. etc.. He controlled it completely.

Whereas the MB didn't create this thing in Egypt, and don't control it. As you say, dbl, they are looking to seize an opportunity, but there will be other factions that want to do the same. Once Mubarak falls, power in Egypt will be up for grabs. It never really was in Iran.

None of this is to say that Egypt can't fall into the hands of a brutal theocracy. But in Iran, this outcome was assured. It was clear. In Egypt, it's not. It's murky.

I can envision a scenario in which the MB is the most powerful faction, but they don't have the army on their side, thus, civil war that other Middle Eastern countries may want to get involved with. Which will of course bring us over there as well.

kronos

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 am

Here, the BBC said it better:

Right now, that scenario seems far-fetched. The Brotherhood is trying to jump on the bandwagon of a youthful and largely leaderless protest movement.

They are not in front. They are trying to catch up.

^Referring to the prospect of an MB takeover.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:23 pm

What the heck are these people protesting?
A corrupt government...we got that here!
A rigged election...see 2000 U.S. election
Poverty...yeah homeless people here in this country too

Every country faces the same thing. What makes these people different or special?
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 pm

kronos wrote:None of this is to say that Egypt can't fall into the hands of a brutal theocracy. But in Iran, this outcome was assured. It was clear. In Egypt, it's not. It's murky.

I can envision a scenario in which the MB is the most powerful faction, but they don't have the army on their side, thus, civil war that other Middle Eastern countries may want to get involved with. Which will of course bring us over there as well.

The only thing is that the terror groups (freedom fighters Big Grin ) have much sway with the poor and the fundamentalist mindset.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:47 pm

TheNextPrez2012 wrote:What the heck are these people protesting?

Every country faces the same thing. What makes these people different or special?

it may have some thing to do with the last 20 years of suppression of all groups and the growing poverty of even the middle class.. plus the last 10 years of Israeli/American backed violence towards any and all groups which worry the army and the extreme right.. where torture of normal people have grown in savagery over those same 10 years.. remember America outsourced it torture of their P.O.W's in Cuban to Egypt and others.. so Bush could play his word games with the American people.. "we don't torture" .. Comment deleted --- outlandish claims as this are designed to do nothing but incite others here --- Admin it may also have to do with watching their government joining [at the request of Bush] Israel in the crush of the Palestinian people.. who had the shame to freely elect an a group which neither America or Israel controlled.

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:03 pm

kronos wrote:One difference between Egypt and Iran in that there is no Khomeini-type figure in Egypt.

Khomeini was the creator of his revolution (and it really was "his"). He was its architect. It Founding Father. Its face. Its focus. Its heart and soul. etc.. He controlled it completely.

Whereas the MB didn't create this thing in Egypt, and don't control it. As you say, dbl, they are looking to seize an opportunity, but there will be other factions that want to do the same. Once Mubarak falls, power in Egypt will be up for grabs. It never really was in Iran.

None of this is to say that Egypt can't fall into the hands of a brutal theocracy. But in Iran, this outcome was assured. It was clear. In Egypt, it's not. It's murky.

You are quite right about the differences between Iran and Egypt Kronos - I fully concur.

Let us just hope that the MB, which is the most powerful faction currently, does not choose to plunge the nation into a civil war.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 pm

cable2 wrote:

it may have some thing to do with the last 20 years of suppression of all groups and the growing poverty of even the middle class.. plus the last 10 years of Israeli/American backed violence towards any and all groups which worry the army and the extreme right.. where torture of normal people have grown in savagery over those same 10 years.. remember America outsourced it torture of their P.O.W's in Cuban to Egypt and others.. so Bush could play his word games with the American people.. "we don't torture" .. Comment deleted --- outlandish claims as this are designed to do nothing but incite others here --- Admin it may also have to do with watching their government joining [at the request of Bush] Israel in the crush of the Palestinian people.. who had the shame to freely elect an a group which neither America or Israel controlled.

This is nothing more than unsubstantiated slander cable... especially the underlined bit. Prove that or delete it.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:33 pm

kronos wrote:One difference between Egypt and Iran in that there is no Khomeini-type figure in Egypt.

you also missed out the point Khomeini was to only defense to the American imposed the Shara of Persia [remember America imposed the Shara on the Iranian people each time the Iranian people toss him out] who was there to defend the every day man and woman from the Shara's torture prisons.. who was there to feed the families of people who worried the American backed Shara's government.. no one other then the voice of an old man far away in France.. a voice which the whole of Iran heard and wanted it to speak for them.. out with the Shara and out with his supporters and out with America.

kronos wrote:Whereas the MB didn't create this thing in Egypt, and don't control it. As you say, dbl, they are looking to seize an opportunity, but there will be other factions that want to do the same. Once Mubarak falls, power in Egypt will be up for grabs. It never really was in Iran.

yes is no one voice which speaks for the Egyptian people.. plus the Egyptian people are not stopping to hear any one.. not the voice of Christians or Muslims or Commies or the young or the old.. they have success with in their reach.. I can see a time where the new Egypt will be in need of new friends and joins with the new Russia or the new Chinia and turn away from the old America and the old Israel.

Last edited by TexasBlue on Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed broken quote)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

cable2 wrote:it may have some thing to do with the last 20 years of suppression of all groups and the growing poverty of even the middle class.. plus the last 10 years of Israeli/American backed violence towards any and all groups which worry the army and the extreme right.. where torture of normal people have grown in savagery over those same 10 years.. remember America outsourced it torture of their P.O.W's in Cuban to Egypt and others.. so Bush could play his word games with the American people.. "we don't torture" .. Comment deleted --- outlandish claims as this are designed to do nothing but incite others here --- Admin it may also have to do with watching their government joining [at the request of Bush] Israel in the crush of the Palestinian people.. who had the shame to freely elect an a group which neither America or Israel controlled.

dblboggie wrote:This is nothing more than unsubstantiated slander cable... especially the underlined bit. Prove that or delete it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.. are you asking me to prove that it was, or that it was not an American's hand that held the razor that cut into the genitals of that British P.O.W held by America in Bush's Cuban torture camp ???

or is you a asking me to prove that a P.O.W held by America was handed over to have his the genitals cut into a a razor then for American to take back that tortured P.O.W to the camp in Cuba ???

would it help you to reform your question to me.. to know the British government has paid out huge sums of money to British P.O.W's returned from America's camp in Cuba.. in compensation for the British government's involvement in America's "wet torture" in 3rd countries. ???

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:37 pm

cable2 wrote:

cable2 wrote:it may have some thing to do with the last 20 years of suppression of all groups and the growing poverty of even the middle class.. plus the last 10 years of Israeli/American backed violence towards any and all groups which worry the army and the extreme right.. where torture of normal people have grown in savagery over those same 10 years.. remember America outsourced it torture of their P.O.W's in Cuban to Egypt and others.. so Bush could play his word games with the American people.. "we don't torture" .. Comment deleted --- outlandish claims as this are designed to do nothing but incite others here --- Admin it may also have to do with watching their government joining [at the request of Bush] Israel in the crush of the Palestinian people.. who had the shame to freely elect an a group which neither America or Israel controlled.

dblboggie wrote:This is nothing more than unsubstantiated slander cable... especially the underlined bit. Prove that or delete it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.. are you asking me to prove that it was, or that it was not an American's hand that held the razor that cut into the genitals of that British P.O.W held by America in Bush's Cuban torture camp ???

or is you a asking me to prove that a P.O.W held by America was handed over to have his the genitals cut into a a razor then for American to take back that tortured P.O.W to the camp in Cuba ???

would it help you to reform your question to me.. to know the British government has paid out huge sums of money to British P.O.W's returned from America's camp in Cuba.. in compensation for the British government's involvement in America's "wet torture" in 3rd countries. ???

You know exactly what I mean. This is nothing more than an attempt to start a flame war. You have provided no proof that any POW ever had their genitals or any other body part cut. This is trolling and that is against the rules.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Cable, I'm going to ask you to remove your avatar and replace it with something less divisive. Remove it, please, or I'll remove it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:00 pm

TexasBlue wrote:

Cable, I'm going to ask you to remove your avatar and replace it with something less divisive. Remove it, please, or I'll remove it.

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Book3 it that not better for you Tex.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:10 pm

cable2 wrote:US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Book3 it that not better for you Tex.

From Wikipedia:
Murder in Samarkand is a non-fiction book by British activist and former ambassador to Uzbekistan, Craig Murray. The book forms an account of Murray's controversial ambassadorship at the UK embassy in Tashkent in 2002–04. The tale explains how Murray sacrificed his diplomatic career to speak out against the Karimov administration's suppression of human rights and British double standards over torture in Iraq.

You seem hell-bent on pissing people off in here. If you want to have the view you do, it's your right. If you offend others here, then it's the right of the board to ask you to stop or to remove such things. I would prefer you to have a neutral avatar.

You have had three posts reported today. I have stayed out of it till then. You're treading on thin ice. Take that as a warning.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:58 pm

cable2 wrote:I'm not sure I understand what you mean.. are you asking me to prove that it was, or that it was not an American's hand that held the razor that cut into the genitals of that British P.O.W held by America in Bush's Cuban torture camp ???

dblboggie wrote:You know exactly what I mean. This is nothing more than an attempt to start a flame war. You have provided no proof that any POW ever had their genitals or any other body part cut. This is trolling and that is against the rules.

O' no, no, no... no you guys should not be free to play such game any time [or every time] you don't like what is said or what it means.. or mayhap there be other rules for yous guys.. You can not tell me what I know, when I asked you to let me know what you meant cos I didn't understand.. then to go on to say I's trolling when I question you.

just a couple of newspaper stories covering the British P.O.W and the torture he underwent

US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Binyam-Mohamed-PA_153769t

US tried to gag British man 'tortured' in Guantanamo

Captive told he would be freed if he pleaded guilty and agreed not to speak to media

By Robert Verkaik, Law Editor

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/us-tried-to-gag-british-man-tortured-in-guantanamo-1652593.html

Guantanamo inmate wins right to see secret 'torture' evidence

By Robert Verkaik, Law Editor

Friday, 22 August 2008

Binyam Mohamed, 30, who was arrested in Pakistan six years ago, says the Americans flew him to a prison in Morocco where he was tortured before his transfer to a US detention centre in Afghanistan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/guantanamo-inmate-wins-right-to-see-secret-torture-evidence-905447.html

this is an American site.. http://www.president-bush.com/tortureregime.html just in case I's branded as Anti-American

Secret world of US jails
Jason Burke charts the worldwide hidden network of prisons where more than 3,000 al-Qaeda suspects have been held without trial - and many subjected to torture - since 9/11

HOME
The cover-up
"No rules apply"
Remember 9/11
The Torture Jet
Where Is Osama?
The Torture Gang
An Outlaw Regime
A Criminal Regime?
The Bush Doctrine
"We Will Nuke You"
Meet The President
Immortal Quotations
'Mission Accomplished'
"Why Do They Hate Us?"
Torturing Arab Prisoners
The Torture Presidency
The War Againist Terror (TWAT)
President Bush and The Rule of Law
Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction
Presidential sweatshirts: Special Offer
State of the Union Address (unofficial)
The Pentagon: a criminal organization?
President Bush and Tony Blair: the movie
CIA Torture Techniques: "Waterboarding"
How the Bush torture gang shamed America
President Bush's Map of Post-War Middle East
Torture, Rape and Murder: president-bush.com
Back To The Middle Ages: CIA Torture Techniques
America's Shame: US Vice President Cheney Endorses Torture

http://www.president-bush.com/tortureregime.html

and with that let's return to some of the reason why Egyptian's wont to over throw their government and the point where you dblboggie span us way off topic [trying to defend America's use of Egypt in their war on terror] Egypt's torture of it's own people over the last 10 years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:04 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
cable2 wrote:US to review aid to Egypt in wake of protests Book3 it that not better for you Tex.

From Wikipedia:
Murder in Samarkand is a non-fiction book by British activist and former ambassador to Uzbekistan, Craig Murray. The book forms an account of Murray's controversial ambassadorship at the UK embassy in Tashkent in 2002–04. The tale explains how Murray sacrificed his diplomatic career to speak out against the Karimov administration's suppression of human rights and British double standards over torture in Iraq.

You seem hell-bent on pissing people off in here. If you want to have the view you do, it's your right. If you offend others here, then it's the right of the board to ask you to stop or to remove such things. I would prefer you to have a neutral avatar.

You have had three posts reported today. I have stayed out of it till then. You're treading on thin ice. Take that as a warning.

an image of a book about Uzbekistan is pissing people off here ??? who and why ??? please

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm

First off, this topic thread has nothing to do with torture. You brought it up. The story in the original post had nothing to do with torture.

You came in here looking to pick a fight. You made an outlandish claim and didn't back it up when you made it. If I make a claim that seems a bit "out there", I always provide the best link I can when I make the claim.

You just provided links. None of them prove that it happened. One link speaks of the claims. I just did a heavy search on the internet for this issue. None provide proof of it. None are mainstream news links. All are anti-war sites.

Each time you come in here, you fan the flames almost immediately. You seem to go out of your way to piss people off. It seems as if that's what you want to do. That is the definition of trolling. Trolling is NOT allowed here.

You aren't being told that you can't debate here. What you can't do is fan the flames with crazy statements or claims that are intended to start a fight.

I'm getting awful sick and tired of this. If you keep complaining of why things get out of hand, then I'll lock this thread.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next