Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Votes for prisoners

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Votes for prisoners Empty Votes for prisoners

Post by BecMacFeegle Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:28 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/feb/10/mps-blanket-ban-prisoners-vote

Not sure how I feel about this one.

From one perspective, it makes sense that prisoners should not have the vote. They have broken the contract they have with their society by breaking its laws and have been removed from that society.

But they aren't totally removed from society - in fact, we have no option but to be part of a society and have only a limited ability to decide which one.

I think what it comes down to is whether you see the right to vote as a basic human right, like food, water, access to health care, etc. The right to vote certainly can't be seen as something which is earned but is it something to which we can lose the right, like our freedom, if we break the law?
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Votes for prisoners Junmem10

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Votes for prisoners Empty Re: Votes for prisoners

Post by Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:24 pm

BecMacFeegle wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/feb/10/mps-blanket-ban-prisoners-vote

Not sure how I feel about this one.

From one perspective, it makes sense that prisoners should not have the vote. They have broken the contract they have with their society by breaking its laws and have been removed from that society.

But they aren't totally removed from society - in fact, we have no option but to be part of a society and have only a limited ability to decide which one.

I think what it comes down to is whether you see the right to vote as a basic human right, like food, water, access to health care, etc. The right to vote certainly can't be seen as something which is earned but is it something to which we can lose the right, like our freedom, if we break the law?

Yaaaaaa why not affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Interesting. This is an issue which has come around here in the USA time and again. Many states have laws on felons not voting. I'm not sure if there is a federal law. Some people get to vote once out of prison (and finish probation). Others are barred for life depending on the crime.

No prisoner should be able to vote while locked up, imo.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Votes for prisoners Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 am

Imprisonment is removal from society and I feel that serving prisoners should not be allowed to vote on the basis that they have broken society's rules and should therefore have no say in how society should be governed. When they have served their time and are ready to rejoin society, then that privilege should be returned to them as an active member of society.

I don't agree with losing that right for any length of time over and above their sentence, and certainly not losing it for life.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Votes for prisoners Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Imprisonment is removal from society and I feel that serving prisoners should not be allowed to vote on the basis that they have broken society's rules and should therefore have no say in how society should be governed. When they have served their time and are ready to rejoin society, then that privilege should be returned to them as an active member of society.

I don't agree with losing that right for any length of time over and above their sentence, and certainly not losing it for life.

my worries would be on where would prisoners vote.. would there votes be cast in the wards of their last known address.. or would their votes be cast in the ward where their prison is ???

I let my mind play around with the idea.. and could see how prisoners votes could be to for sale.. the prison block bandit [or what ever they are called where you is] could earn few extra shekels by making sure every prisoner voted for the highest bidder

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 pm

If one is in jail, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Methinks that's the way it is anyway, but I'm not sure. But that's what I think... As far as what happens when the person gets out of jail, I say it depends on the crime. I absolutely believe in second chances and paying your due... But I also think that under certain circumstances (i.e. murder), you should forfeit certain rights forever. Whistle
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Votes for prisoners Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Ex-prisoners on parole (or probation) still shouldn't vote. Once their time has been served, then they should be able to vote.... depending on the crime committed of course.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Votes for prisoners Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:51 am

cable2 wrote:
The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Imprisonment is removal from society and I feel that serving prisoners should not be allowed to vote on the basis that they have broken society's rules and should therefore have no say in how society should be governed. When they have served their time and are ready to rejoin society, then that privilege should be returned to them as an active member of society.

my worries would be on where would prisoners vote.. would there votes be cast in the wards of their last known address.. or would their votes be cast in the ward where their prison is ???
Last known address. Despite living with my wife's constituency lasy May at our general election, I chose to cast my vote at my parent's constituency. I did not register here because we didn't have jobs at the time and didn't know how long we'd be in this area. So she voted here, and I voted there.

cable2 wrote:I let my mind play around with the idea.. and could see how prisoners votes could be to for sale.. the prison block bandit [or what ever they are called where you is] could earn few extra shekels by making sure every prisoner voted for the highest bidder
I'm sure they would set up a proper polling station in those prisons to make sure that it was all done properly.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Votes for prisoners Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down