Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phil Collins an entangled farewell

5 posters

:: General :: Music

Go down

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Empty Phil Collins an entangled farewell

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:17 am

Phil Collins, an entangled farewell

Ray Shasho
St. Petersburg Examiner
March 5, 2011

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  3977fd771e445f356c754946509c2c53

“I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this', I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely. I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?"

These were Phil Collins disheartening remarks in a recent interview with FHM magazine.

The 60 year old classic rocker said he is calling it quits. Phil Collins has hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands from playing the drums.

Collins also suggested that there was no longer a place for him in today’s music.

He also mentioned that overplaying his music made people “want to strangle” him. "It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that."

I’m here to say, “You’re wrong Phil!” Your mystical voice on the “A Trick of the Tail “ album resonated through my mind during those complicated high school years, offering calm and hope for the future. Hang in there Phil, we need you. The music world is lacking the talent it needs to deliver power messages like you do. Maybe now is the time to move forward and astonish.

Collins added, "My doctors tell me it's a work in progress that it will take about a year for me to recover. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again." (Collins is referring to not being able to hold the drumsticks again)

Phil Collins joined Genesis in 1970 after answering an ad in need for a drummer.

Genesis became Peter Gabriel- vocals, Phil Collins- drums, Tony Banks- keyboardist, Steve Hackett- guitar, and Mike Rutherford- bass. The progressive bands elaborate song anatomy complemented their mesmerizing live performances.

Peter Gabriel left Genesis in 1975 to pursue a solo career and Collins almost- inconspicuously replaced his vocals, sounding much-like Gabriel’s.

In 1979, I was very fortunate to meet Genesis at a Peaches record store in Ft Lauderdale where they signed my "A Trick of the Tail" album.

Phil Collins solo career sales alone exceeded 150 million. He’s won seven Grammy Awards, an Academy Award, and two Golden Globes. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Genesis in 2010. That sounds like a lot of happy fans to me!

In a November 25th, 2010 Rolling Stone interview, Collins revealed, "Everything has added up to a load that I'm getting tired of carrying, It's gotten so complicated. It's the three failed marriages, and having kids that grew up without me, and it's the personal criticism, of being Mr. Nice Guy, or of divorcing my wife by fax, all that stuff, the journalism, some of which I find insulting. I wouldn't say that I have suicidal tendencies over my career or bad press. They're just another chink in the wall. It's cumulative.

Please hang in there Phil the music world still needs you desperately, and whatever you’re thinking, we still love you man!
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Admin210

Back to top Go down

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Empty Re: Phil Collins an entangled farewell

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:18 am

An amazing drummer, second only to Neal Peart of Rush.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Empty Re: Phil Collins an entangled farewell

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:22 am

Drums, drums and more drums!
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 am

Sad he's quitting. We don't see his like any more.

The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:37 am

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Sad he's quitting. We don't see his like any more.

Yeah, it is sad. He's one of my faves even though I'm a metalhead at heart. The one thing many Genesis fans are sad about is now there probably won't be a reunion of the 1st version of the band when Peter Gabriel was the singer and Phil was just the drummer. That's not my favorite era of Genesis but they had some interesting stuff. Gabriel has become a better singer over the decades, too.

TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am

One of my favourite tracks of all time.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:20 am

Solsbury Hill is a good one. Mine is this one;

His daughter is a backup singer (and a cutie!).
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:36 pm

TexasBlue wrote:An amazing drummer, second only to Neal Peart of Rush.
I love me some Phil. Whistle And truth be known, I actually prefer his solo work over Genesis, especially "No Jacket Required". Not owning that album should be a crime... Snicker As for his drumming, he's one of the best. I can't put him in my top three though. Top five for sure, but not top three.
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:09 am

i_luv_miley wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:An amazing drummer, second only to Neal Peart of Rush.
I love me some Phil. Whistle And truth be known, I actually prefer his solo work over Genesis, especially "No Jacket Required". Not owning that album should be a crime... Snicker As for his drumming, he's one of the best. I can't put him in my top three though. Top five for sure, but not top three.

"Don't Lose My Number" is an underrated song, though it was a #4 hit in 85.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Birthday : 1985-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Not one of my favorites ones.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Arx Ferrum Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Have always been a phan of Phil. he's one of the most understated musicians of his time.
Arx Ferrum
Arx Ferrum

Phil Collins an entangled farewell  Newmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Yes, he is. Damn good drummer and a great vocalist in his better days. His voice is actually pretty shot now as hard as that is to believe.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down