Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About That Speech

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

About That Speech Empty About That Speech

Post by TexasBlue Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 pm

About That Speech

John Fund
Wall Street Journal
April 20, 2011

At first glance, President Obama's partisan speech last week attacking GOP budget proposals was precisely what an incumbent running for re-election shouldn't do. It was not a speech designed to appeal to independent voters, a group Mr. Obama has suffered serious erosion with.

But Mr. Obama's tone makes more sense when one realizes that his sinking poll numbers also indicate an erosion in support with his liberal base. Only about three-quarters of self-identified liberals approve of his job performance, a number that has drifted downward since Mr. Obama compromised on tax cuts and decided to keep Guantanamo open. His latest budget deal with House Republicans only further confused his base. "I have been very disappointed in the administration to the point where I'm embarrassed that I endorsed him," one senior Democratic lawmaker told the Daily Beast last week.

Mr. Obama is also hurting with another key element of his coalition: Hispanics. His job approval with them is now only 54% in the latest Gallup poll, down from 73% two years ago. Similarly, voters under the age of 30 give him a tepid 55% approval rating.

Obama strategists thought they had dodged a bullet earlier this year when it became unlikely the president would attract a serious primary opponent like Howard Dean or former Sen. Russ Feingold. But now it's clear that Mr. Obama has to worry that a dispirited liberal base could stay home in 2012, or that a spoiler third-party candidate could drain votes away from him the way Ralph Nader did with Al Gore in 2000.

The more that Mr. Obama feels he has to haul out class-warfare rhetoric and avoid offering serious proposals to stave off a fiscal crisis, the more he is endangering his standing with independent voters who remain unsettled by a sluggish recovery. The latest Gallup Poll pegs Mr. Obama's support among independents at just 35%. Right now, Mr. Obama is more concerned with shoring up his liberal base than with wooing independents. That's a sign of weakness.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

About That Speech Admin210

Back to top Go down

About That Speech Empty Re: About That Speech

Post by TexasBlue Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Independent voters are the biggest voting bloc in this country. They outnumber Repubs and Dems by wide margins. These are people who have no ideological belief (for the most part). They don't parrot party lines.

The writer here is correct. If Obama is going to slam conservatives endlessly till election night in 212, he's going to lose... big.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

About That Speech Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Independent voters are the biggest voting bloc in this country. They outnumber Repubs and Dems by wide margins. These are people who have no ideological belief (for the most part). They don't parrot party lines.

The writer here is correct. If Obama is going to slam conservatives endlessly till election night in 212, he's going to lose... big.

Actually, I would disagree with you on this. Conservatives form the largest voting block at 40%, with moderates (who largely, but not always, register as independents) at 36% and liberals at 20%.

SEE.

I personally see many independents as being either too afraid or too uninformed to take a principled stand on the issues. Naturally this is not universally true - or even true for most independents. I can appreciate that many of them are cynical enough to view both parties as suspect and disingenuous.

So, while it is the independents who always determine electoral outcomes, I would submit (think Reagan) that conservative candidates who express true conservative values always sweep if they are believed. This indicates to me that most independents are more conservative than than moderate or liberal.
dblboggie
dblboggie

About That Speech Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down