Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Germany Over-Achieves Again

3 posters

:: General :: Science

Go down

Germany Over-Achieves Again Empty Germany Over-Achieves Again

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 pm

News updates on Germany’s renewables achievements and objectives to 2020 caught my attention because I had recently drafted a policy paper on solar PV feed in tariffs in WA, and naturally a quick literature review highlighted Germany as the pace setter in clean energy policy delivery and outcomes.

Well, last month Chancellor Angela Merkel reviewed the nation’s progress on its renewables goal (comprising 17% of German energy requirements now) and laid down the gauntlet to achieve 35% of all energy requirements by 2020, 50% by 2030 and 80% by 2050. (Reuters, May 8th, 2011)

Now in case you’re thinking that it’s no surprise given the strength of the German Green Party, don’t forget that the Greens are firmly back in opposition whereas Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) is more the ideological sibling to our own mainstream conservative party.

Now taking the comparison with Australia a little further, imagine the debate that would ensue if our biggest CO2 emitters presented a forecast akin to that below, after scenario-planning the move from fossil fuel and nuclear generation to renewables.

“RWE—Germany's biggest producer of electricity by output capacity and Europe's largest emitter of CO2—is forecasting a fall of more than 50% in recurrent after-tax profit by 2013, compared with 2010's €3.75 billion. The company has said it intends increasingly to focus on the higher-growth markets of Eastern and Southeastern Europe and Turkey.” (Hromadko, May 14th, 2011)

This was no fairy tale; RWE, one of Germany’s largest industrial conglomerates is understandably not happy with its business outlook; but rather than play ostrich it has been quick to adapt to future realities by investing AUS$1.4 billion per year in renewable projects since 2008.

Now at this point I have to be truthful; RWE’s troubles are not solely due to the “warm fuzzy green feeling” washing over the German government and public. RWE has heavy exposure to the nuclear sector and since Fukashima, well, the sky has sort of closed in. Within days of the disaster, Chancellor Merkel's government suspended a plan—agreed only last year—to extend the lives of Germany's 17 reactors, and instead committed to an accelerated exit from nuclear power. (Hromadko, May 14th, 2011).

Admittedly adding to the pressure on Merkel, the CDU recently lost power in the State of Baden-Württemberg following 60 years of CDU rule, to the Green Party. The historic result was largely seen as a referendum on nuclear power.

Now the German government is combining its push for renewables with a rapid retreat from its existing nuclear assets.

Some analysts have argued that a nuclear scale-back in Germany would prevent the country from reaching its long-term climate and energy goals. In reality, Germany is already well on its way to transitioning from nuclear and fossil fuel power to renewable energy.

Finally there’s that old economic chestnut often touted by critics, many of whom had hypothesised that Germany’s unwavering support for renewable energy would place a drag on the economy. Yes, Germany did suffer a downturn in 2008 and 2009, but the rebound was rapid. Germany’s export-led recovery added 3.6% to GDP in 2010, giving Germany the strongest export growth in three decades. (Focus economics, 2011). What’s the point? Well in a country where the key export sectors are energy and carbon intensive—heavy machinery and components, diversified industrials, cars and chemicals; think BMW, BASF, Siemens, Bosch, Thyssen Krupp, and MAN—any government would be very wary of killing the geese that lay the golden eggs through punitive energy policies.

Germany’s 20-year affair with renewables quite possibly gives the nation the confidence and expertise to transition such an energy-intensive economy. For example Germany is expected to become the first nation to reach broad scale grid parity on PVs by 2012-2013. (FME, 2007)

Finally the jobs: Renewable energy now employs 370,000, compared to 50,000 in the coal industry, and Germany forecasts that its exports of clean energy technologies and expertise will continue to expand in the future (IEA 2010).

While not without its difficulties, the German renewables story just keeps getting better. But perhaps most impressive is to think that within four decades, the world’s fourth largest economy will be powered almost entirely by wind, solar, biomass, hydro, and geothermal power.

References

Hromadko, J, (2011) “Trying to Solve the German Energy Conundrum”, Wall Street Journal, viewed May 16th, 2011.

Schwagerl, S, (2011) “Germany's Unlikely Champion of a Radical Green Energy Path”, Reuters. viewed May 17th, 2011.

Focus Economics (2011) Germany’s economic indicators 2011, viewedMay 17th, 2011

Federal Ministry for the Environment. (2007). EEG – The renewable energy sources act: The success story of sustainable policies for Germany.

International Energy Agency, Photovoltaic Power Systems (2010). A Review of International Photovoltaic Applications

And if you’re really keen – some further reading

Germany’s overall energy strategic plan (in English).

The impressive objectives Germany has set itself are laid out in the rather chunky National Renewable Energy Plan.

http://www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org/greggGermany.html
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Germany Over-Achieves Again Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Germany Over-Achieves Again Empty Re: Germany Over-Achieves Again

Post by TexasBlue Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm

They're taking over the world. I'm gonna hide under the bed for a decade or so. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Germany Over-Achieves Again Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

[quote="The_Amber_Spyglass"]
News updates on Germany’s renewables achievements and objectives to 2020 caught my attention because I had recently drafted a policy paper on solar PV feed in tariffs in WA, and naturally a quick literature review highlighted Germany as the pace setter in clean energy policy delivery and outcomes.

Well, last month Chancellor Angela Merkel reviewed the nation’s progress on its renewables goal (comprising 17% of German energy requirements now) and laid down the gauntlet to achieve 35% of all energy requirements by 2020, 50% by 2030 and 80% by 2050. (Reuters, May 8th, 2011)

Now in case you’re thinking that it’s no surprise given the strength of the German Green Party, don’t forget that the Greens are firmly back in opposition whereas Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) is more the ideological sibling to our own mainstream conservative party.

Now taking the comparison with Australia a little further, imagine the debate that would ensue if our biggest CO2 emitters presented a forecast akin to that below, after scenario-planning the move from fossil fuel and nuclear generation to renewables.

The German government has also decided (yesterday, I believe) that Germany is to be completely nuclear power free by 2022. We have 17 Nuclear Power Facilities, all of which have to get off the grid by that time.

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:

“RWE—Germany's biggest producer of electricity by output capacity and Europe's largest emitter of CO2—is forecasting a fall of more than 50% in recurrent after-tax profit by 2013, compared with 2010's €3.75 billion. The company has said it intends increasingly to focus on the higher-growth markets of Eastern and Southeastern Europe and Turkey.” (Hromadko, May 14th, 2011)

This was no fairy tale; RWE, one of Germany’s largest industrial conglomerates is understandably not happy with its business outlook; but rather than play ostrich it has been quick to adapt to future realities by investing AUS$1.4 billion per year in renewable projects since 2008.

Now at this point I have to be truthful; RWE’s troubles are not solely due to the “warm fuzzy green feeling” washing over the German government and public. RWE has heavy exposure to the nuclear sector and since Fukashima, well, the sky has sort of closed in. Within days of the disaster, Chancellor Merkel's government suspended a plan—agreed only last year—to extend the lives of Germany's 17 reactors, and instead committed to an accelerated exit from nuclear power. (Hromadko, May 14th, 2011).

To add my own opinion to this, I think that all major energy companies have to realize that their branch is changing rapidly, especially in Germany. Part of being an effective company is to keep up with change and still staying the most innovative company in the market.

Admittedly adding to the pressure on Merkel, the CDU recently lost power in the State of Baden-Württemberg following 60 years of CDU rule, to the Green Party. The historic result was largely seen as a referendum on nuclear power.

That's where I live right now, by the way, and none of the people or professors I study with are very happy with the election outcomes. Though there is more to the election results: Last year, there was a massive debate about building a new train central station in Stuttgart. This sparked a lot of protests, because it was obviously going to cost money, the new station was to be build in a relatively well-to-do neighborhood and because trees had to be cut down for the construction. There were a lot of demonstrations and protests, some of them turned mildly violent. The Green Party and the Social Democrats opposed this new station and the Christian Democratic Union was all for it. Opinions are split pretty much 60, 40 on this. 60% being for the project and 40% being against it. But still, 40% of one of the largest states in Germany is still a lot of people, so that also had an influence over the election outcome, not just the nuclear power debate.

Finally there’s that old economic chestnut often touted by critics, many of whom had hypothesised that Germany’s unwavering support for renewable energy would place a drag on the economy. Yes, Germany did suffer a downturn in 2008 and 2009, but the rebound was rapid. Germany’s export-led recovery added 3.6% to GDP in 2010, giving Germany the strongest export growth in three decades. (Focus economics, 2011). What’s the point? Well in a country where the key export sectors are energy and carbon intensive—heavy machinery and components, diversified industrials, cars and chemicals; think BMW, BASF, Siemens, Bosch, Thyssen Krupp, and MAN—any government would be very wary of killing the geese that lay the golden eggs through punitive energy policies.

But it has to be said that all the above named companies are investing TONS of money into becoming more carbon neutral. BMW is planning on building large parts of their car bodies out of Carbon, which would immensly reduce carbon output and Bosch even considered giving up their market dominating position in the automotive industry and going into the renewable energy sector almost completely. So companies are adapting to their changin environment.

While not without its difficulties, the German renewables story just keeps getting better. But perhaps most impressive is to think that within four decades, the world’s fourth largest economy will be powered almost entirely by wind, solar, biomass, hydro, and geothermal power.

I'll tell you guys what it feels like to live in a country powered by that kind of energy, when that time has come. Razz

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Germany Over-Achieves Again Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue May 31, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm saddened that Merkel has decided to do away with nuclear, especially as the reaction seems to be less about investment than about knee-jerk reaction to Fukushima. But... I understand why she sees this as necessary to take Germany and Europe into future fuels. Germany is practically leading the world in renewable energy research and if that leads to safer, cleaner and more efficient power than nuclear fission then that is what must be done.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Germany Over-Achieves Again Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:I'll tell you guys what it feels like to live in a country powered by that kind of energy, when that time has come. Razz

Yeah, we'll see on getting rid of nuke power. It almost seems as if it's a knee-jerk reaction to the Japanese incident. If that had never happened, we wouldn't be talking about German nuke power going by the wayside.

But more power to ya (no pun intended).
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Tue May 31, 2011 2:58 pm

Actually, the nuclear power debate has been raging in Germany for decades. It's one of the most discussed subjects in politics and it pops up every time there's a nuclear waste transport. It's just that a lot more people became aware of the dangers of nuclear power after Fukushima. Some call it a wake up call, some call it a frightened reaction... I call it a bit of both.
Personally, I don't really have much of a problem with nuclear power, but I do think that it is risky and should be done away with asap.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 pm

I don't have a problem with it either. I might have a problem with it if I ever turn glowy-green after a meltdown though. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

That wouldn't be such a bad thing, that would make it harder for criminals to hide from the cops. Big Grin
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:That wouldn't be such a bad thing, that would make it harder for criminals to hide from the cops. Big Grin

That and my electric bill would go down.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down