Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms

2 posters

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Empty Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms

Post by bigger_guns_nearby Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms

Legislative body reaches near-unanimous vote of no confidence in policies of universities minister, David Willetts

Oxford University has formally declared it has "no confidence" in the policies of the universities minister, David Willetts, in the first sign of a concerted academic backlash against the government's higher education reforms.

Lecturers passed a motion opposing the coalition's policies by 283 votes to five at a meeting of the congregation, Oxford's legislative body. The university is the first to take a public stand against the raising of tuition fees and slashing of the teaching grant, but the rebellion is spreading. Cambridge is expected to announce a date for a "no confidence" vote on Monday, while a petition against the government is gathering force at Warwick University.

It is the first time a vote of no confidence in a minister has been passed by an English university, and follows a no- confidence vote by the Royal College of Nursing in the health secretary Andrew Lansley's handling of NHS reforms. The message of "no confidence" will be transmitted to the government by Oxford University's council, its governing body.

Robert Gildea, the Oxford historian who proposed the motion, described the coalition's reforms as "reckless, incoherent and incompetent". He warned that proposals to introduce "off-quota" student places, funded privately rather than through state-backed loans, and AC Grayling's plan for a new private university heralded the arrival of a "two-track" admissions system.

In a two and a half hour debate, he told fellow academics: "It's a red carpet for the rich and even more competition for everyone else. We will be back to Brideshead."

The debate had added resonance on the day a committee of MPs published a report warning that student numbers might have to be cut to meet the soaring cost of student loans, after ministers underestimated how many universities would charge the maximum £9,000 fee. Figures compiled by the Guardian show that 105 universities have declared their fee for next year, with an average of £8,765.

Full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/07/oxford-university-no-confidence-vote

It'll be interesting to see if this objection spreads. Assuming the current changes stick, it will also be really interesting to see what happens to university applications next year, and the extent to which prices self-regulate.

For instance, I'd consider paying £45,000 to study medicine over five years, but no way would I pay £27,000, excluding living costs, to study three years of an arts degree with 7 hours of tuition per week. That's like buying a £750 per month library card.

We're talking shockingly high money though. £27,000 for three years of tuition just seems wrong. If it was Harvard, I get it, but we're talking about Leeds Met or John Moores charging that.
bigger_guns_nearby
bigger_guns_nearby

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Newmem10

Birthday : 1985-07-14

Back to top Go down

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Empty Re: Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 am

I understand their frustrations, I'm still wondering whether this is another attempt to privatise through the back door.

However for me, the ultimate aim of any reform of the university system here ought to be to starve non-degrees into extinction and discourage the mediocre students who take them.

Despite the grumbling from the media, we still have the best university system in the world. Of the top 300 universities in the world, though we have fewer institutions than the US, proportionally by population we have more and university education is cheaper.

As you rightly note, less prestigious universities will have to have a change of direction but I doubt The Russell Group will be too concerned.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Empty Re: Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Oxford University delivers stinging verdict on higher education reforms Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Social Issues

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum