Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Empty Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal

Catalina Camia
USA Today
June 16, 2011

Embattled Rep. Anthony Weiner resigned today after admitting to sexually charged relationships with women on Facebook and Twitter.

"Today I am announcing my resignation ... so my colleagues can get back to work, my neighbors can choose a new representative, and most importantly, that my wife and I can continue to heal from the damage that I've caused," the New York Democrat said.

Weiner announced his resignation at a senior citizens center in Brooklyn, where he launched his first political race for New York City Council about 20 years ago. He was interrupted by a heckler, who was shouted down by some of the senior citizens who had gathered to give Weiner support.

A Democratic source, who asked for anonymity, confirmed to USA TODAY that Weiner informed Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of his plans last night while she was attending the annual congressional picnic at the White House.

Weiner, first elected to Congress in 1998, apologized again to his colleagues, constituents and his wife, Huma Abedin, "who has stood with me in this entire difficult period and to whom I owe so very much." She was not at the news conference.

The lawmaker, once touted as a leading candidate for New York City mayor, admitted he sent lewd photos of himself to a young Seattle woman and lied about it for several days. Since then, salacious photos and details have been disclosed.

The scandal, highlighting the dangers of sexting on social media, has rocked the U.S. House for the past three weeks, distracting Democrats trying to bring attention to GOP plans to revamp Medicare before next year's elections.

"Congressman Weiner exercised poor judgment in his actions and poor judgment in his reaction to the revelations. Today, he made the right judgment in resigning," said Pelosi, who had called on Weiner to step aside.

"I pray for him and his family and wish them well," she said.

House Democratic leaders planned to meet today to discuss Weiner's fate. One possible action was to oust him from his post on the powerful Energy and Commerce Committee if he continued to rebuff the calls to step down.

"There is life after Congress for Anthony Weiner, and I hope he devotes himself to repairing the damage he caused to his personal life," Rep. Nita Lowey, D-N.Y., said in a statement.

This week, the House granted Weiner a two-week leave of absence after he said this weekend that he'll enter a treatment facility. The House ethics committee has begun a preliminary inquiry into Weiner's actions.

Weiner, 46, decided to go into treatment after Pelosi, national party chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz and campaign chairman Steve Israel called on him to resign. President Obama also has said Weiner should step aside, saying the congressman has "embarrassed" himself.

A Marist poll showed 56% of registered voters in his district said he should not resign.

Weiner reportedly told friends he was waiting for his wife to return from an overseas work trip before deciding his next step. Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, returned early Wednesday. She is pregnant with the couple's first child.

The scandal is a stunning fall from grace for Weiner, known for his combative and aggressive style. He succeeded his former boss, Democrat Charles Schumer, in the district that encompasses parts of Queens and Brooklyn. Weiner also served on the New York City Council from 1992-1999.

The New York Times had reported that former council member Eric Gioia had been approached to run for the congressional seat.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Admin210

Back to top Go down

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Empty Re: Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Good move on his (and Democrats) part because if he hadn't, the GOP would hang this noose around their necks leading into the 2012 elections......which aren't just the presidential elections. It's for the Senate and House also.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Empty Re: Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal

Post by kronos Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Nah. Weiner should tell the world to butt out of his private life and let him do the job he was elected to do, and if they have a problem with his sexting, they can let him know in 2012.

kronos

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:30 pm

kronos wrote:Nah. Weiner should tell the world to butt out of his private life and let him do the job he was elected to do, and if they have a problem with his sexting, they can let him know in 2012.

Normally, I would agree with you. But it appears that he may have been doing this on congressional time and computers. His own phone is his own business. Like I said, the GOP would hang this around the Dems' neck in 2012. This saves the Dems that hassle.

Why am I saying this? ROFL I should be saying, "Damn. There goes a good opportunity!"
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 pm

TexasBlue wrote:But it appears that he may have been doing this on congressional time and computers.

That doesn't seem to be what the outrage is about, though. It seems to be just about what a sleaze he is. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

The mayor of Portland had a gay love affair with an 18-year-old. It ruined him, politically. He will definitely not be re-elected. He gets booed at parades. But did he resign? No, he told the world to fuck off and let him do his job. And he was right to do so.

kronos

Rep. Anthony Weiner resigns after online sex scandal Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:22 pm

kronos wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:But it appears that he may have been doing this on congressional time and computers.

That doesn't seem to be what the outrage is about, though. It seems to be just about what a sleaze he is. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

The mayor of Portland had a gay love affair with an 18-year-old. It ruined him, politically. He will definitely not be re-elected. He gets booed at parades. But did he resign? No, he told the world to fuck off and let him do his job. And he was right to do so.

No, that isn't the outrage from both Dems and Repubs. But for me, it's what he may have done while working (on govt time). Of course, none of that is a proven thing either.

He abused his power, so to speak. If he were a private citizen, nobody would care and neither would these women. But as a congressman, it was about him and his position.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum