Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Empty US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

Post by kronos Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14522579

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

Tim Pawlenty has announced he is dropping his bid to become the Republican Party's candidate in the 2012 presidential election.

The Minnesota ex-governor finished a distant third in the Iowa straw poll, an early test of strength for candidates vying to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama.

"The pathway forward for me doesn't exist," Mr Pawlenty told ABC TV.

Michele Bachmann, a Congresswoman from Minnesota, won the non-binding poll.

Ron Paul, a Texas Congressman, finished a close second.

Mr Pawlenty said: "I thought I would have made a great president, but obviously that pathway isn't there. I do believe we're going to have a very good candidate who is going to beat Barack Obama."

Mr Pawlenty had spent about two years preparing his campaign and building funds. He poured much of that money into Iowa before Saturday's vote but languished in opinion polls after Mrs Bachmann entered the race.

About 17,000 voters took part in the straw poll, in what is considered the first big test of the 2012 presidential race.

It comes five months before the first official Iowa primaries in the race for the White House.

Mrs Bachmann won 4,823 votes in the straw poll, more than twice as many as Mr Pawlenty.

He has not endorsed a candidate but Mrs Bachmann was quick to praise him.

"I wish him well," she said. "He brought a really important voice into the race and I am grateful that he was in. He was really a very good competitor."

National front-runner Mitt Romney did not actively take part in the Iowa contest and neither did Texas Governor Rick Perry, who announced his candidacy on Saturday.

Mr Perry's candidacy means he and Mrs Bachmann will fight for the votes of the more conservative wing of the Republican Party while Mitt Romney works to fire up a base that so far has seemed unimpressed with his campaigning style, says the BBC's Jonny Dymond from Ames.

Sarah Palin, a favourite of the ultra-conservative Tea Party movement and Republican vice-presidential candidate in 2008, has not declared her candidacy but has said she has not ruled out running.

"Unfortunately for Mr Pawlenty, his desperately uninspiring speech left less of an impact than the Christian rock band he had hired to entertain his supporters”

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race _52946440_52946439

Jonny Dymond

BBC News, Ames, Iowa

kronos

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Junmem10

Back to top Go down

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Empty Re: US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

Post by kronos Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:33 am

Mrs Bachmann won 4,823 votes in the straw poll, more than twice as many as Mr Pawlenty.

Terrifying.

kronos

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Junmem10

Back to top Go down

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Empty Re: US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

Post by TexasBlue Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am

kronos wrote:

Terrifying.

Nothing to be alarmed about. Howard Dean was the shoo-in back in 2004 and how did that work out? He flamed out because he's a kook. Bachmann will do the same.

As for Pawlenty? As a conservative that grew up in Minnesota and also lived in the south for 25 yrs, I can tell you that T'Paw was never going to get any further than he did. In the south, he'd be considered a liberal. That tells ya something about northern liberals.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down