Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Empty 'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:14 pm

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations

After reporting they are investigating possible plans by Iran to attack US military installations in Germany, federal prosecutors backed away from the claim later Thursday, stating there was "no indication action against US facilities have been prepared."

Following a report earlier in the day that Iran may have been planning attacks on key American military installations in Germany if the United States were to strike Tehran in response to its nuclear program, German prosecutors said later in the day there was no information suggesting any such attacks had been prepared.

"There is absolutely no indication that any such actions against US facilities have been prepared," a spokesperson for the Federal Prosecutor's Office told SPIEGEL ONLINE. Their lack of suspicion is further evidenced by the fact that no warrant was issued for the arrest of the German involved, although the man's home was searched.

Earlier, German authorities confirmed they were investigating possible plans by Iran to attack United States military forces based within Germany, the Federal Prosecutor's Office announced on Thursday in Karlsruhe. Officials initially suspected that, in the event of a US military action in Iran, Tehran might have plans to retaliate at the key American logistical facilities.

"We have begun an investigation and are conducting operative measures," Prosecutor General Harald Range said on Thursday morning, declining to provide further details. But Jörg Ziercke, the head of the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), stressed that the situation presented no immediate danger.

The law officials' comments came after the mass-circulation daily Bild reported that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's regime may be planning to strike US military air bases in Germany to destroy military supplies and disrupt logistics in the event the Americans attack Iran. According to the paper, the Federal Prosecutor's Office is investigating a German businessman on "suspicion of foreign agent activity for the purposes of sabotage." The man allegedly conducted "conspirational contact" with the Iranian Embassy in Berlin. His home was searched by authorities on Nov. 2, the paper added.

Prosecutors are still investigating the man on the belief he may be operating as an agent.

More Sanctions Brewing

The US operates a number of military facilities in Germany, including the Ramstein Air Base near Kaiserslautern, one of the largest US military bases abroad, and an important hub for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, where wounded soldiers from these conflicts receive treatment, is also located nearby. Both facilities are heavily guarded.

News of the German investigation comes amid rising tensions between Iran and the West after demonstrators stormed the British Embassy in Tehran on Tuesday. The United Kingdom has since withdrawn its diplomats from the country. Berlin called its ambassador back to Berlin for consultations.

On Thursday, the European Union increased pressure on Tehran with further sanctions that included freezing the assets of 143 companies and banning 37 Iranian nationals described as being "directly involved in Iran's nuclear activities" from entering the EU. The measures, planned before this week's incident in Tehran, are intended to pressure Iran to halt its efforts to develop nuclear weapons.

The EU is also preparing a ban on oil imports from Iran in addition to sanctions on the country's financial system, French Foreign Minister Alain Juppé said Thursday. "We have decided to work on much tougher sanctions," he stated after a meeting of EU foreign ministers.

Earlier this month, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) released an alarming report stating that it had "serious concerns regarding possible military dimensions to Iran's nuclear program." Iran rejected the IAEA's findings, claiming the program was for civil purposes alone.

-- kla, with wires
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Junmem10

Back to top Go down

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Empty Re: 'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Good news, IMO! This would have been suicide for Iran. If Iran launches an attack on German soil, not even the most pacifistic politicians in Germany could argue against a full scale war.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Empty Re: 'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations

Post by TexasBlue Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Iran had best watch their steps. They're quickly alienating many in the EU.... after the UK embassy storming.

This country is bad news and it's not going to get better nor is there going to be a "happy ending."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
Good news, IMO! This would have been suicide for Iran. If Iran launches an attack on German soil, not even the most pacifistic politicians in Germany could argue against a full scale war.

I am extremely happy to hear this from you my young friend. I had feared that Germany had no fight left in them.

I sincerely hope that you are right in your assessment.
dblboggie
dblboggie

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:46 am

BubbleBliss wrote:

I think this is just more reasons to get oil. Sorry. And it's just my opinion, but after the lies of Iraq, there's just too much suspicion on my part that the US will do ANYTHING it can to help the oil companies here and in Saudi Arabia get oil.

There have been too many lies spread by the US already against Iran.

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:07 pm

dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

I am extremely happy to hear this from you my young friend. I had feared that Germany had no fight left in them.

Germany still has one of the most highly innovative defence industries in the world. Even though our military force has been extremely downsized, we still have a very strong military that does not only rely on manpower but more on technical innovations.

Cookie Parker wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

I think this is just more reasons to get oil. Sorry. And it's just my opinion, but after the lies of Iraq, there's just too much suspicion on my part that the US will do ANYTHING it can to help the oil companies here and in Saudi Arabia get oil.

I disagree. Iraq and Iran cannot be compared, IMO.
Iran has done more than enough to lose international credibility... denying the Holocaust and blaming the US and Israel for literally every problem Iran has.

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:34 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

Germany still has one of the most highly innovative defence industries in the world. Even though our military force has been extremely downsized, we still have a very strong military that does not only rely on manpower but more on technical innovations.

Cookie Parker wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

I disagree. Iraq and Iran cannot be compared, IMO.
Iran has done more than enough to lose international credibility... denying the Holocaust and blaming the US and Israel for literally every problem Iran has.

I have no doubt that Germany has a very advanced technological military capability, but wars are not won by technology alone, it requires boots on the ground - lots of them.
dblboggie
dblboggie

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:34 am

True that but that's not one of Germany's strengths. It will be crucial to combine military efforts with other European Nations, so that every Nation supplies what they're best at. For us, it's technology, not manpower.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by Arx Ferrum Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:20 pm

Iran is very definitely a dangerous nation but... all the bluster about launching missiles at Turkey and NATO bases further into Europe is simply saber rattling. Even the madman from Tehran knows that - at least for the here and now - launching any attack on any NATO power would be a self-inflicted wound.

When the shooting war starts with Iran, there will be a tidal wave of propaganda aimed squarely at nations like Turkey and Germany... because they know that public opinion actually means something there and controlling that opinion is part of the battle.

Arx Ferrum
Arx Ferrum

'No Indication' of Any Iranian Action Against US Installations Newmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down