Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You Can Arrest an Idea by Robert Scheer

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

You Can Arrest an Idea by Robert Scheer  Empty You Can Arrest an Idea by Robert Scheer

Post by Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:56 am

Code:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2011/12/01-1

. . .

The liberal Democratic mayor, a past president of the Southern California ACLU, was pleased with the efficiency of the “community policing” approach of his police department. “I said that here in L.A. we’d chart a different path, and we did,” Antonio Villaraigosa boasted. However, the result was the same as elsewhere; the bankers were protected from the scorn they so richly deserve and there will no longer be a visible monument to the pain that they have caused. To ensure a pristine, amoral town square, huge concrete-anchored fences were quickly installed to prevent further access to the public space surrounding City Hall.

Of course the traditional cardboard encampments of the homeless three blocks away, a sprawling and constant feature of life in downtown Los Angeles, remained undisturbed. Sanitation and safety issues are of no concern as long as such manifestations of deep societal inequality are so far from the corridors of power as to be, in effect, invisible.

Such profound contradictions in the application of state power seemed not at all to bother the first wave of government workers arriving at the various local, state and federal office buildings. I lined up with some of the early birds at the employee entrance to City Hall—the closed public entrance had a forbidding police presence—and told the guard that I was there with a literary offering for the mayor, whom I have long known.

. . .

The police are being used to squelch any protests against the rich. This is so anti-first amendment.

Back to top Go down

:: Main :: Politics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum