Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Empty NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

Post by TexasBlue Thu May 31, 2012 5:42 pm

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

Ben Forer
ABC News
May 31, 2012

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is proposing a ban on large sugary drinks in an effort to curb obesity. The plan would make it illegal for food service establishments such as restaurants, street vendors, sports venues and movie theaters to serve sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces.

The ban would apply to both bottled soda and fountain drinks containing more than 25 calories per eight ounces and would not include alcohol, fruit juices, diet soda or any beverage that is at least half milk. Grocery stores and convenience stores would be exempt.

According to Bloomberg, New York City spends $4 billion a year on health care for overweight residents and the city claims sugary drinks are the most significant factor in the increasing number of obese or overweight New Yorkers.

"Obesity deaths have grown to 5,000 and will soon exceed the number of smoking deaths [in New York City]," Bloomberg said during an interview at the All Things D Conference. "You can still be obese, we are just telling you this is detrimental to your health and helping you understand that with portion size."

The New York City Beverage Association says banning soda will not impact the city's obesity rate.

"The New York City Health Department's unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks is again pushing them over the top," said Stefan Friedman, spokesman for the association. "The city is not going to address the obesity issue by attacking soda because soda is not driving the obesity rates."

ABC News' Dr. Richard Besser says legislation cannot make up for personal responsibility.

"You have to want to do it and I don't think this ban is going to make people want to change their behavior." said Besser on "Good Morning America."

Some consumers agree and say the proposed ban is another example of government overstepping its bounds and infringing on consumer choice.

"I don't think it's the mayor's job to decide what sort of soft drinks that people in Manhattan or anywhere in the world want to buy," said one New Yorker.

Other New Yorkers believe the ban is a step in the right direction.

"I think it's a good way to send a message that he's supporting healthier lifestyles," said one woman.

Bloomberg has a history of enacting legislation to try to make New Yorkers healthier. Since becoming mayor, he has banned smoking in public places, outlawed trans-fats in the city's restaurants and required chain restaurants to post calorie counts.

The ban on sugary drinks requires approval from the city's Board of Health and if passed, which is considered likely because Bloomberg appointed all the board's members, it could take effect as soon as March.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Admin210

Back to top Go down

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Empty Re: NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

Post by TexasBlue Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 pm

My favorite part of the Constitution was that part where the Founding Fathers promised to keep us healthy and watch our body mass index and cholesterol levels.

Why don't they just ban bacon, cheese or potato chips while they're at it? How about making going to the gym mandatory? Or set gov't approved limits on how much TV we can watch per day?

The fact that some people think this is a great idea scares me a hell of a lot more than the obesity epidemic. It's like they just see the noble intention of the law and don't care about the means.

Bloomberg is a fucking asshole for even proposing this. Republican, my ass. He's an ex-Democrat and he plays like one. Fucking jerk.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Empty Re: NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas

Post by Mark85la Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 pm

I was going to post this, Bloomberg is a lefty.
Mark85la
Mark85la

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Senmem10

Birthday : 1985-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm

This just the sort of tyranny that Jefferson warned of so very long ago.

And we can thank the leftist agenda being forwarded in our government schools for reducing our population to an ignorant mass who even consider such an idiotic bill.

It's only a matter of time before we are being told precisely what we can and cannot consume.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu May 31, 2012 8:06 pm

dblboggie wrote:It's only a matter of time before we are being told precisely what we can and cannot consume.

Already happening... with cigarettes. Now the move is onto food. People warned of the food police years ago after the cig bullshit.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 pm

In fact, it has BEEN happening. That is what the FDA is all about.

We have not been a truly free people since the turn of the last century.

Unless something dramatic is done and soon, we are doomed.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 pm

dblboggie wrote:This just the sort of tyranny that Jefferson warned of so very long ago.

I don't think Tom warned us about sugary drinks.

You must be talking about George...
"Hey Weezie, tell Florence to cut down on the sugary content..."
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

NYC Mayor Proposes Ban on Large Sodas Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:21 pm

He's talking about taking away our freedom, now we have politicians telling us what we can and can't do.
Mark85la
Mark85la

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark85la Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:19 pm

I mentioned Jefferson on a message board, and someone said this:

"Jefferson is not exactly the role model i'd use as an example, the man said no generation has the right to command another and that America needs a revolution every ten years or so"
Mark85la
Mark85la

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Lord knows we need a revolution now!

There's scarcely a single aspect of our daily private lives that is not directly affected by the federal government.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down