Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neil Peart On Rush's New LP and Being a 'Bleeding Heart Libertarian'

:: General :: Music

Go down

Neil Peart On Rush's New LP and Being a 'Bleeding Heart Libertarian' Empty Neil Peart On Rush's New LP and Being a 'Bleeding Heart Libertarian'

Post by TexasBlue Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Neil Peart On Rush's New LP and Being a 'Bleeding Heart Libertarian'

This is somewhat random, but you were interested in the writings of Ayn Rand decades ago. Do her words still speak to you?

Oh, no. That was 40 years ago. But it was important to me at the time in a transition of finding myself and having faith that what I believed was worthwhile. I had come up with that moral attitude about music, and then in my late teens I moved to England to seek fame and fortune and all that, and I was kind of stunned by the cynicism and the factory-like atmosphere of the music world over there, and it shook me. I'm thinking, "Am I wrong? Am I stupid and naïve? This is the way that everybody does everything and, had I better get with the program?"

For me, it was an affirmation that it's all right to totally believe in something and live for it and not compromise. It was a simple as that. On that 2112 album, again, I was in my early twenties. I was a kid. Now I call myself a bleeding heart libertarian. Because I do believe in the principles of Libertarianism as an ideal – because I'm an idealist. Paul Theroux's definition of a cynic is a disappointed idealist. So as you go through past your twenties, your idealism is going to be disappointed many many times. And so, I've brought my view and also – I've just realized this – Libertarianism as I understood it was very good and pure and we're all going to be successful and generous to the less fortunate and it was, to me, not dark or cynical. But then I soon saw, of course, the way that it gets twisted by the flaws of humanity. And that's when I evolve now into . . . a bleeding heart Libertarian. That'll do.

More of the interview: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/q-a-neil-peart-on-rushs-new-lp-and-being-a-bleeding-heart-libertarian-20120612
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Neil Peart On Rush's New LP and Being a 'Bleeding Heart Libertarian' Admin210

Back to top Go down