Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron

3 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Empty Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Slightly related to the point I raised yesterday about this country being made to feel ashamed of its past by the previous Labour government, David Cameron today had this to say about tourism in the UK.

UK tourism must focus on "heritage" instead of the Labour government's attempt to market the country as "Cool Britannia", David Cameron has said.

Speaking in central London, the prime minister urged people to be "proud" of the UK's history.

The country was not "doing enough" to break into the top five most-visited destinations in the world, he added.

But Labour said Mr Cameron's government had failed to come up with any "constructive policy measures".

A report last month suggested tourism's contribution to the economy could grow by more than 60% to £188bn by 2020.

The number of jobs directly and indirectly linked to tourism could rise by 264,000 to 2.89 million in that time, said the study for Visit Britain.

'Beat Germany'

Mr Cameron said measures to help the industry would include speeding up the process of getting visas for visitors from India and China.

He said: "I want to see us in the top five destinations in the world. But that means being much more competitive internationally.

"Take Chinese tourists, for example. We're their 22nd most popular destination. But Germany is forecast to break into their top 10. Why can't we?"

He added: "If we can't always beat Germany at football, then we can beat them at tourism."

Mr Cameron said the Labour government had "underplayed" tourism, appointing eight different ministers to handle the brief during its 13 years in power.

He added: "They just didn't get our heritage. They raided the National Lottery, taking money from heritage because it didn't go with their image of 'cool Britannia'."

"Cool Britannia" was a label given to the Britpop music, art and fashion seen in the mid to late-1990s.

Tony Blair's Labour government was linked with the label after the then prime minister invited Oasis singer Noel Gallagher, plus other celebrities, to a Downing Street drinks reception in 1997.

Mr Cameron said tourism should focus more on national parks, seaside towns, heritage sites such as castles and country houses, museums, galleries, theatres and festivals.

He told an audience of industry experts at the Serpentine Gallery in Kensington Gardens: "We should be proud of our potential because we are proud of our country and what it has to offer. I love going on holiday in Britain."

'Weak gags'

Conservative MP John Penrose is compiling a report for the prime minister on whether it is possible to encourage UK citizens to spend more of their money at home, rather than abroad.

Mr Cameron said he hoped the country could "up our game" to increase the proportion from 36% to 50%.

For Labour, shadow culture secretary Ben Bradshaw said: "Before making a speech on heritage, David Cameron should have read up on some recent history.

"Labour's introduction of free admission to national museums and galleries has helped to attract people from around the world, while opening up access to our rich cultural heritage for everyone in Britain. We created new national parks to protect some of our greatest natural heritage and opened up our coastal paths.

"If David Cameron wishes to further improve Britain's offering for tourists, perhaps he should come up with some constructive policy measures, rather than weak gags about losing to Germany at football."

The United Nations ranks the UK as the sixth-most visited destination in the world, behind France, the US, Spain, China and Italy.

Domestic and overseas visitors put an estimated £115bn a year into the UK. Foreign visitors' spending could almost double from £16bn to £31bn by 2020, according to Visit Britain.

[ARTICLE]

[rant]He has a damn good point. Look at the shambolic way we handled the handing over ceremony after the Beijing Olympics. Leona Lewis, some bizarre contemporary dance troup and a London red bus. Seriously, with 2000 years of rich heritage, is that the best we could do? Leona Fcking Lewis... a glorified karaoke singer? Tourists come here to see our historic royal palaces, to see Stonehenge, to see our museums, our cathedrals and our castles and largely, English Heritage and other heritage bodies have done a good job in promoting and caring for these sites, but they are only limited by what they have. Tourists do not come here to see modern dance and Leona Lewis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/rant]

But I feel I must come to the defence of some elements of Labour's policy with regard to tourism and heritage. They removed the necessity for museums to charge an entrance fee, and encouraged donations and that they set themselves up as registered charities - through which they could claim more money in tax (Gift Aid) from UK taxpayers. Basically, how that works is that any charitable donation made by a UK taxpayer, we have the right to claim it back off of our income tax. Gift Aid permits the charity to claim it back for themselves on behalf of that taxpayer who gives permission for that to happen. From an archaeologists perspective, they enacted legislation to ensure that heritage sites were protected and that archaeological surveys became a requirement of any redevelopment of council land. A lot of money was put into heritage in those respects, and also from the Heritage Lottery Fund which proved successful. This approach helped to encourage a sense of pride in our heritage from people who live here.

I'd very much like to get the perspective from non UK residents about how they perceive tourism into this country from their own? Do you think Cameron is right? Does tourism to the UK in your countries play down the heritage and history in favour of "Cool Britannia"?
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Empty Re: Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron

Post by TexasBlue Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Over here, tourism to the UK is viewed as it should be; your heritage and the architecture.

Personally, i'd like to visit there but i doubt i ever will ($$$$$).

How are American tourists viewed there?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Admin210

Back to top Go down

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Empty Re: Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron

Post by BubbleBliss Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:19 pm

I never would have thought that more people go to Germany than Britain. If I had to choose as a foreigner, I'd probably pick Britain to visit.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Tourism must move away from Cool Britannia - Cameron Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:16 am

TexasBlue wrote:How are American tourists viewed there?
The honest answer? Loud and pushy with a bad dress sense and more money than they know what to do with Very Happy I think they are considered amongst the most generous tippers (for obvious reasons, it is part of your culture and not ours) and the most demanding with it in restaurants.

All joking aside, I think there was a time when American tourists were the majority visitors to London and other major sites of interest but not any more. There seems to be more people from China and Japan than anywhere else these days, particularly in London.

I think half the problem is the way tourism from the US seems to be being managed. They seem to have these package tours where they cram in so much stuff that they never get to appreciate or understand what they are seeing. It seems to be Stonehenge in the morning and The Tower of London in the afternoon, with only a flying visit to each of 20 sites along the way.

Most are friendly though, and eager to just talk to everyone, especially in London. Of course there are the bad ones, i got plenty of them working in an exclusive chain store a few years back, one particularly guy kept banging on about how things were so much better in the US. He was more than welcome to leave and never return Very Happy
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 am

BubbleBliss wrote:I never would have thought that more people go to Germany than Britain. If I had to choose as a foreigner, I'd probably pick Britain to visit.
I'm actually surprised too. Over here, the Rheinland is popular as a destination, usually for Christmas/New Year breaks and summer walking holidays. Plus, is is a cheaper alternative to the traditional south of France type holidays that were popular here until recently.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:55 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:How are American tourists viewed there?
The honest answer? Loud and pushy with a bad dress sense and more money than they know what to do with Very Happy I think they are considered amongst the most generous tippers (for obvious reasons, it is part of your culture and not ours) and the most demanding with it in restaurants.

All joking aside, I think there was a time when American tourists were the majority visitors to London and other major sites of interest but not any more. There seems to be more people from China and Japan than anywhere else these days, particularly in London.

I think half the problem is the way tourism from the US seems to be being managed. They seem to have these package tours where they cram in so much stuff that they never get to appreciate or understand what they are seeing. It seems to be Stonehenge in the morning and The Tower of London in the afternoon, with only a flying visit to each of 20 sites along the way.

Most are friendly though, and eager to just talk to everyone, especially in London. Of course there are the bad ones, i got plenty of them working in an exclusive chain store a few years back, one particularly guy kept banging on about how things were so much better in the US. He was more than welcome to leave and never return Very Happy

That's how it is in Germany. Most of the time you can spot Americans from far away just because they dress differently. Not that they dress bad, but just differently. When I took my American girlfriend to Germany, she said she was emberassed by some of the Americans there. Some of them were heavy calibers, pretty loud and didn't speak a lick of German. However, American tourists tend to be nice and we met a couple that were actually really interested in German culture. We met this couple on a train that were from N. Carolina so we got to talking and when they found out that I was German they asked me all kinds of questions about everything. "How much am I supposed to tip?", "How come we don't get free refills?", "How do you say..... ?", "How old are most of the buildings here and what kind of architecture is it?", etc.

But then, like you said, there are those who come to Europe and ask "What is this language you're speaking?" and when you don't understand their English, they repeat the exact same sentence and just say it much louder. But those tourists are from everywhere, not just the US.

I have to say though that German tourists are by far the most emberassing. Most middle aged people that come here tend to rock the sandals with the socks or wear shorts with sneakers and pull the socks up to their knees, etc. Then there are those who think they're on a Safari and wear those stupid hats all the time. Then they have all that "practical traveling" stuff like backpacks with a water hose for drinking, all kinds of belt clip ons, etc. I'm hoping things will improve when my generation grows up.

BubbleBliss wrote:I never would have thought that more people go to Germany than Britain. If I had to choose as a foreigner, I'd probably pick Britain to visit.
I'm actually surprised too. Over here, the Rheinland is popular as a destination, usually for Christmas/New Year breaks and summer walking holidays. Plus, is is a cheaper alternative to the traditional south of France type holidays that were popular here until recently.

Wow, I didn't know that. I haven't been to the Rheinland in a long time and I was too young to notice who came from where. It is a nice place to visit during Christmas but it doesn't beat the German or Austrian Alps and the Black Forest. Sadly, we don't have anything in Germany that's comparable to southern France....

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:The honest answer? Loud and pushy with a bad dress sense and more money than they know what to do with Very Happy I think they are considered amongst the most generous tippers (for obvious reasons, it is part of your culture and not ours) and the most demanding with it in restaurants.

I think it would be interesting to know which ones were rude and pushy. Some of the most rude and pushy people I've met here are from the northeast, New York in particular. They don't even realize they're that way.

Last edited by TexasBlue on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:The honest answer? Loud and pushy with a bad dress sense and more money than they know what to do with Very Happy I think they are considered amongst the most generous tippers (for obvious reasons, it is part of your culture and not ours) and the most demanding with it in restaurants.

I think it would be interesting to know which ones were ruse and pushy. Some of the most rude and pushy people I've met here are from the northeast, New York in particular. They don't even realize they're that way.

I second that. New Yorkers are probably the coldest people you can find in the US, but the rest of the North East isn't far behind them. People in Kentucky are pretty nice, as they are in the rest of the South, but they tend not to be too friendly to outsiders in smaller towns or away from touristy places.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:18 am

BubbleBliss wrote:Wow, I didn't know that. I haven't been to the Rheinland in a long time and I was too young to notice who came from where. It is a nice place to visit during Christmas but it doesn't beat the German or Austrian Alps and the Black Forest. Sadly, we don't have anything in Germany that's comparable to southern France....
I took a short break myself over New Year 2004-5. We spent New Year's Eve in Rudesheim, staying at a hotel right next to the Rhein. Didn't snow unfortunately, rained on and off during the day but the weather behaved itself when New Year came around. The fireworks display on the river was spectacular. I'd like to go again and spend more time there, maybe even spend Christmas and New Year there sometime. Also, the German approach to Christmas is becoming quite popular over here now (food such as stollen and gluhwein) and quite a few major towns and cities will have traditional German Christmas markets too (mostly the historic cities). I think there is a perception that Germany has retained something that we have lost in terms of celebrating the Christmas period.

From here, it tends to be the more cultured traveller with a small budget who would go to Germany for summer holidays. But like you, I'm still surprised that Germany is a more popular destination than the UK.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:22 am

TexasBlue wrote:I think it would be interesting to know which ones were rude and pushy. Some of the most rude and pushy people I've met here are from the northeast, New York in particular. They don't even realize they're that way.
At the time I couldn't really tell the difference between accents or place a region on them but they would have what I might have called the typical American accent, so I suppose it was possible I've generally come across New Yorkers more than any other region.

I was in Florida some 19 years ago and the locals were very friendly.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:52 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I think it would be interesting to know which ones were rude and pushy. Some of the most rude and pushy people I've met here are from the northeast, New York in particular. They don't even realize they're that way.
At the time I couldn't really tell the difference between accents or place a region on them but they would have what I might have called the typical American accent, so I suppose it was possible I've generally come across New Yorkers more than any other region.

I was in Florida some 19 years ago and the locals were very friendly.

New Yorkers are just arrogant. They live in their own world there. The nicest people i've met were southerners. After spending 25 years in Texas and traveling thru Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, i found that those people were nicer than those i've encountered here even in my home state. That's probably the one thing i miss about the south since moving back.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down