Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where were you on 9/11?

5 posters

Go down

Where were you on 9/11? Empty Where were you on 9/11?

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Where were you on 9/11?

What were you doing?

How did you react?

Do you dismiss it now since it's been 10 years?

No political points in this thread, please.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Where were you on 9/11? Admin210

Back to top Go down

Where were you on 9/11? Empty Re: Where were you on 9/11?

Post by TexasBlue Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 pm

Where were you on 9/11?

At work. I was driving out of downtown Ft. Worth (back in my big rig days).

What were you doing?

I was listening to WBAP 820AM radio morning show when the announcer said there was a report of a plane hitting the WTC. My first thought was a small 2 seater. Then after he saw it on a t.v. monitor in the studio, he confirmed that this was no small plane.

How did you react?

I was royally pissed when things became clear. Nothing justifies this. We never went around indiscriminately killing people just because we don't like them.

That's as "political" as i care for things to get here.

I don't dismiss it. Anyone who does will be the first to be surprised if something of this magnitude (or greater) happens again. To dismiss it as "history" is just asking for a repeat.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:14 am

Where were you on 9/11? I had a week off work so I was at my mother's house.

What were you doing? I think I had taken some time to write a short story... or the novel I was working on. Can't remember which... at the time the first plane hit the tower.

How did you react? First off with shock that a pilot could be so careless. Most of the news networks here were convinced it was a horrific accident... that was until the second tower was hit. Then it was a reaction of horror at who could do such a thing, that there could be no justifications.

Do you dismiss it now since it's been 10 years? No. These things should never be forgotten and not to cheapen the loss of life but the way it continues to be used as a call to arms, or a Crusade against religious enemies I find tasteless. Just ask the Irish how they all collectively suffered in the 1960s-70s because of the IRA.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Where were you on 9/11? Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:Do you dismiss it now since it's been 10 years? No. These things should never be forgotten and not to cheapen the loss of life but the way it continues to be used as a call to arms, or a Crusade against religious enemies I find tasteless. Just ask the Irish how they all collectively suffered in the 1960s-70s because of the IRA.

That's pretty much how i feel. I've seen folks in the last few years even up to the 10th anniversary say to "get over it." I'll never get over it and neither will New Yorkers especially.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Where were you on 9/11?

At school. I didn't hear about it until I got home and that was already three hours after the first tower was hit.

What were you doing?

Being miserable about being the last to hit puberty in my class. Probably.

How did you react?

The idea that the Pentagon got hit scared me more. To me, the Pentagon was the second most important building in the world, right after the White House.

No I don't, but I find it disturbing that there are those who still invoke it for political gain.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 pm

"Do you dismiss it now since it's been 10 years?"
I dismissed it 10 seconds after I heard about it
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Where were you on 9/11? Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 pm

merkwurdigliebe wrote:
What were you doing?

Being miserable about being the last to hit puberty in my class. Probably.

Now that's funny!
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 pm

TheNextPrez2012 wrote:"Do you dismiss it now since it's been 10 years?"
I dismissed it 10 seconds after I heard about it

Sad.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by BecMacFeegle Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:05 am

Where were you on 9/11?

At home, looking after dad. I think I was working on some college stuff (I worked part time and studied from home)

What were you doing?

Making my dad a cup of tea I think (awfully specific, I know!) when he called me into the living room to see the tv.

How did you react?

I remember dad looked a bit upset about it, we were shocked & didn't really know what was going on - we held hands for a mo and then watched the news together. Don't say 'aagh' it wasn't an 'aagh' relationship. Usually it was more like this Fighting

One thing I remember vividly though was when some new footage came through and the reporters were saying: "that's the tower from a different angle" and I remember thinking, 'that is not the same tower'. And it began to emerge that the other tower had been hit. And then unconfirmed reports of other incidents started coming in. I just remember being in a bit of a daze.

No, I think it's one of those defining moments in history - and I don't think we've seen all of the ramifications of it yet.
BecMacFeegle
BecMacFeegle

Birthday : 1983-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Is there a statute of limitations on this?
When did it become okay for comedians to start making fun of Abe Lincoln (allegedly) being gay going to the theater? ("ya go to the theater ONE time and people tag you as being gay")
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Where were you on 9/11? Huh10
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:02 pm

BecMacFeegle wrote:One thing I remember vividly though was when some new footage came through and the reporters were saying: "that's the tower from a different angle" and I remember thinking, 'that is not the same tower'.
I remember that. At the time we were all still assuming it was a horrific accident and when you are assuming that, you wouldn't expect the other tower to then be hit.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Where were you on 9/11? Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:46 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Where were you on 9/11?

In Korea. I had a job teaching ESL at the time.

TexasBlue wrote:What were you doing?

I'd just returned from an evening of beer and chicken with my workmates. My friend switched on the TV. I was out of the room. He came running to get me, totally frantic. He said "you've got to see this; a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!"

TexasBlue wrote:How did you react?

At first, it only struck me as mildly curious and I didn't quite get my friend's panic. I looked at the TV; whatever they were showing, it wasn't a tower falling down. So I asked, have they repaired the damage? I guess I wasn't thinking of the magnitude of a jetliner hitting a skyscraper. He said "dude, it's gone."

I wasn't shocked. My brain couldn't absorb this; it was not computing. I was just stunned and confused. I just knew somewhere in the back of my mind that it was a big deal. Then I kept watching the news, and it started falling into place, and I realized (or perhaps, was told) we'd been attacked.

I wish I had a clearer recollection of the way I felt and the order I learned about the events. But I was drunk. I honestly don't remember whether both towers had fallen by the time I tuned in to the news, or if I actually saw the second one fall live.

(It's been 9). One would have to be a fool to dismiss it. It was a shockwave. It changed everything. It is still influencing politics, culture, perceptions, attitudes, even the economy, to this day.

A girl (woman) my age who lived up the street of my childhood home was killed in the attacks. We were never close, but still, we grew up together. Our families were friends. So, this makes it considerably more personal for me.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:52 pm

kronos wrote:(It's been 9).

I knew that! ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum