Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time for Islam to grow up

3 posters

:: Main :: Religion

Go down

Time for Islam to grow up Empty Time for Islam to grow up

Post by TexasBlue Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:55 pm

Islam must turn other cheek

Nolan Finley
Detroit News
September 12. 2010

Islam must turn other cheek

How absurd is it that the deranged pastor of a tiny Florida church can make the entire world hold its breath just by threatening to burn a book?

The Rev. Terry Jones of the Dove Outreach Center in Gainesville is a hate-filled nut, for sure. But nothing he's done or vowed to do in offering what can only be viewed rationally as a minor insult to Islam merits the paranoia in the West about a worldwide wave of bloodshed at the hands of offended radicals.

Jones was implored not to carry out his promise to burn a copy of the Quran by, among others, the United Nations, the pope, Gen.general David Petraeus and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

His back-and-forth deliberating was covered as if it was another Bay of Pigs stand-off and this scruffy preacher had his finger on the button.

Come on. Jones should have been entirely ignored. He's not an official of our government, nor is he a national leader in any fashion. He's an obscure redneck, or at least he was until the cameras showed up at his 50-member church.

That Jones captured so much attention is an indication of what the West is up against in its effort to coexist with Islam.

Yeah, I know -- all Muslims aren't mayhem makers. But the lunatic fringe is apparently wide enough to trigger an extreme overreaction from our nation's top offices to a silly little publicity stunt.

If Muslim sensibilities are so tender they can't ignore the bizarre rants of an insignificant American fanatic then this is a culture with a serious anger management issue, and one the West can't help with.

There's no way to head-off every potential slight to Islam. Last time it was Danish cartoons, this time it's a Pentecostal pew jumper who lays down his snakes to strike a match.

Tomorrow, an atheist in Italy may name his dog Mohammad, or a biker in Australia will have a likeness of the prophet tattooed on his backside.

The only answer is for Islam to grow up. Religion invites antagonism; get used to it.

Using the destruction of a book as an excuse to rampage is unacceptable and immature. A Quran, like a Bible, is a physical thing. What makes both books holy are the ideas and inspiration they contain, not the pages and ink. The religion won't be broken by taunts, or by bonfires.

Burning a Quran in the Florida swamps doesn't weaken the foundation of Islam any more than burning an American flag in Pakistan dents our nation's underpinnings, or coating an icon of the Virgin Mary with elephant poop, like that "artist" once did in Cincinnati, undermines Christianity.

Grown-ups shrug off such affronts for the ignorance they are, and move on. They don't go nuts, as the radicals did after the cartoon episode.

We've had the mantra "Islam is a religion of peace" drilled into us for the past nine years. But Muslims still have some work to do to make that case. Peaceful religions aren't so easily provoked to violence. Religions of peace turn the other cheek.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Time for Islam to grow up Admin210

Back to top Go down

Time for Islam to grow up Empty Re: Time for Islam to grow up

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 am

And Christianity isn't a religion of peace either. Bombed abortion clinics ring a bell for anyone?

I am sick and tired of religions pointing at other religions and saying "we might be awful, but they are worse!". And I'm also sick of the victim mentality. Bullies playing the victim has become cliche and I am fed up with hearing how (apparently) oppressed certain groups are. Usually their idea of being oppressed is that they no longer have special rights.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Time for Islam to grow up Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNextPrez2012 Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

Religions are nothing more than groups of people that preach about their own groups being peaceful until you don't don't convert to their group...then we get get things like the Crusades (and perhaps the Spanish Inquisition)

"We'll burn you then kill you if you don't join our side"
Hey, Darth Vader wasn't that bad. He at least threw Leia in a prison and screwed with Luke mind.
TheNextPrez2012
TheNextPrez2012

Time for Islam to grow up Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm

The_Amber_Spyglass wrote:And Christianity isn't a religion of peace either. Bombed abortion clinics ring a bell for anyone?

I am sick and tired of religions pointing at other religions and saying "we might be awful, but they are worse!". And I'm also sick of the victim mentality. Bullies playing the victim has become cliche and I am fed up with hearing how (apparently) oppressed certain groups are. Usually their idea of being oppressed is that they no longer have special rights.

Abortion bombings aren't an annual event over here. I'd also say 99% of the religious in this country think that it's wrong. I did meet one guy when i lived in Texas who never would give me a straight answer on whether it was justified. That told me all i needed to know.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm

TheNextPrez2012 wrote:Religions are nothing more than groups of people that preach about their own groups being peaceful until you don't don't convert to their group...then we get get things like the Crusades (and perhaps the Spanish Inquisition)

"We'll burn you then kill you if you don't join our side"
Hey, Darth Vader wasn't that bad. He at least threw Leia in a prison and screwed with Luke mind.

Hey and the Nazi's used religion to fit their agenda when needed.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down