Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her

2 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her Empty Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her

A 78-year-old CUNY professor, Frances Fox Piven, has found herself not only the target of criticism from conservative radio and TV talk show host Glenn Beck, but also the recipient of what amount to death threats.

On his News Channel program, which more than 2 million people watch, and on one of his Web sites, The Blaze, Beck has turned Piven into the 'primary character' of his 'warnings about a progressive take-down of America,' according to the January 21st New York Times. Piven, says Beck, is the author of a plan that will '“intentionally collapse our economic system."'

Piven has received threats via e-mail and anonymous comments on The Blaze have called for her death: '“Somebody tell Frances I have 5000 roundas ready and I’ll give My life to take Our freedom back"' and "ONE SHOT...ONE KILL" (spelling and grammar have not been edited).

The article, “The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty," that Beck has seized upon was published in 1966 and written by Piven and her late husband, Richard Cloward. According to the New York Times, the article

proposed that if people overwhelmed the welfare rolls, fiscal and political stress on the system could force reform and give rise to changes like a guaranteed income. By drawing attention to the topic, the proposal “had a big impact” even though it was not enacted, Ms. Piven said. “A lot of people got the money that they desperately needed to survive,” she said.

In Mr. Beck’s telling on a Fox broadcast on Jan. 5, 2010, Ms. Piven and Mr. Cloward (who died in 2001) planned “to overwhelm the system and bring about the fall of capitalism by overloading the government bureaucracy with impossible demands and bring on economic collapse.” Mr. Beck observed that the number of welfare recipients soared in the years after the article, and said the article was like “economic sabotage.”

He linked what he termed the Cloward-Piven Strategy to President Obama’s statement late in the 2008 presidential campaign that “we are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.”

Piven is a long-time columnist for The Nation, which published an editorial about the threats to her:
For a responsible journalist and a responsible media outlet, such an incident would have spurred a process of intense self-scrutiny. But this is Glenn Beck and Fox, and as is evident from the campaign against Piven, nothing of the sort occurred. In the hundreds of posts about Piven on The Blaze, there is not one admonition to tone down the violent rhetoric, not one clear instance in which an editor intervened to moderate the thread. In fact, commenters seem at liberty to egg one another on: one poster pointedly noted that Piven lives in New York City and teaches at CUNY; another then linked to a website that listed Piven's home address and phone number. "Why is this woman still alive?" asked capnjack.

Beck's fixation on Piven's 1966 article also leads me to wonder if he'll be digging up other academic articles by professors whose scholarship---loook out for those Marxist literary critics----might (in Beck's view) somehow contribute to the '"progressive take-down of America."' I guess it might be a way for him to get more fodder for his shows and site.

Saying that Beck quoted Piven 'accurately and had never threatened her,' Fox News has indicated that it will not order him to stop discussing the professor and her work.

It is extremely unfortunate that Fox News has taken such an irresponsible stance. Even though the above comments were made on The Blaze, Beck's targeting of Piven began on his show on Fox News. By not requiring Beck to cease his attack on Piven, Fox News is tacitly condoning the threats of violence against her.

And there's nothing academic, or ethical, about that.

http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/professor-receives-death-threats-after-glenn-beck-targets-her/

Back to top Go down

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her Empty Re: Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:55 pm

To help start the forum's debate with out adding any comment by myself (cos I's not American and non American's don't have the right to comment on things American)

David C. says
Jan 24, 2011 11:36 AM

Rhetoric after Beck Palin etc (A) either does or does not stir up the political base of the speakers. (B) A stirred up base either does or does not increase the chance that crazies will take violent action.

If either (A) or (B) has a "NO" answer, then the rantings of conservative Muslim extremists can be ignored. They will have no effect in radicalizing Muslim nut jobs to terrorism. If both have a "YES" answer then obviously, rhetoric can lead to violence.

From reading posts, I would guess the right will say that Beck/Palin rhetoric is just free speech and has no negative effect but the rants of conservative Muslim leaders do have an effect and are dangerous.

That isn't logical. The good old one rule for me, another for you approach.

The right wing posts, blogs, columns, go on ad nauseam about "free speech". That is not the issue. A reasoned argument would educate the audience, but would not stir up the base. It's the over-the-top language, the "real Americans", the "unpatriotic America hating progressives" crap that is dangerous.

It is possible to make a political speech without ad hominem attacks on the opponents. Except for conservative Joe McCarthy, political discourse was reasonably civil for decades prior to the Gingridge era.

if these posts do not please you or help you to bring your own comments there are another 900 odd posts for you to pick your own starting point from.

Michelle Staples says
Jan 24, 2011 11:27 AM

Isn't Glen Beck a terrorist, as defined by dictionaries -- a. a person who employs terror or terrorism, esp as a political weapon; 2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others. He should be put away for his dangerous actions.

David J. says
Jan 24, 2011 11:02 AM

What amazes me, is that in the wake of the tragedy in Tuscon, NBC trotted out Beck and that equally loathsome Laura Schlesinger to hawk their new "tomes" on the Today show. Their, and the rest of that ilk's, thinly disguised hate rhetoric has given rise to the lunatic fringe. The death threat against Dr. Piven is just another case in point. And the national media just rolls aound slobbering.
And don't even get me started on the Westboro Baptist Church and the Phelps Klan... yeah that's the way I meant to spell it! I witnessed them in action at the funeral of a local Marine.
The asylum door have truly been flung open!

Last edited by cable2 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her Empty Re: Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Saying that Beck quoted Piven 'accurately and had never threatened her,' Fox News has indicated that it will not order him to stop discussing the professor and her work.

If he's doing accurate quotes, then there's nothing wrong with what he's doing. The problem seems to lie with those who are leveling threats against the woman. But instead of going after people making threats, we're going after Beck. slapping head

It is extremely unfortunate that Fox News has taken such an irresponsible stance. Even though the above comments were made on The Blaze, Beck's targeting of Piven began on his show on Fox News. By not requiring Beck to cease his attack on Piven, Fox News is tacitly condoning the threats of violence against her.

Nothing irresponsible if it's being told accurately. No laws (which Cable is a fan of) are being broken except by those leveling threats.

It seems to me that the author of this article is just pissed because an agenda is being exposed.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:04 pm

Interesting that you were silent on the posts and discussions in here of left wing threats from the past. I had to go dig up stuff (as did Dbl) on this to counter the argument that the right is always leveling threats against left wingers (regarding the Gabby Giffords incident). If you want to go down this road, I have all day long to do it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:16 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Interesting that you were silent on the posts and discussions in here of left wing threats from the past. I had to go dig up stuff (as did Dbl) on this to counter the argument that the right is always leveling threats against left wingers (regarding the Gabby Giffords incident). If you want to go down this road, I have all day long to do it.

as I is told in another thread only Americans can debate things American.. I must bite my words and try not to laugh at comments of others but my fingers do itch to get at my keyboard Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 pm

cable2 wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:Interesting that you were silent on the posts and discussions in here of left wing threats from the past. I had to go dig up stuff (as did Dbl) on this to counter the argument that the right is always leveling threats against left wingers (regarding the Gabby Giffords incident). If you want to go down this road, I have all day long to do it.

as I is told in another thread only Americans can debate things American.. I must bite my words and try not to laugh at comments of others but my fingers do itch to get at my keyboard Wink

Nobody in here told you that you couldn't debate anything American. You post stuff criticizing the country all the time. Matt never told you any such thing. I never told you any such thing. Stop making stuff up.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:30 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
cable2 wrote:

Nobody in here told you that you couldn't debate anything American. You post stuff criticizing the country all the time. Matt never told you any such thing. I never told you any such thing. Stop making stuff up.

TexasBlue wrote:First off, there is no "right wing" states. In fact, Montana and Oregon have Dem governors.

Second, until you study up on the US Constitution, your opinion is null and void.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

cable2 wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:First off, there is no "right wing" states. In fact, Montana and Oregon have Dem governors.

Second, until you study up on the US Constitution, your opinion is null and void.

I knew you were going to quote that. You're very predictable. Big Grin

All that meant was that your opinion was null and void. You apparently know nothing of the US Constitution. The states have a right to do what they're doing. The have an obligation to the citizens of those states to do what they're doing. The constitution here is full of things that the states have the rights to do. This isn't England.

You make a blanket statement about "right wing" states, which is a falsehood.

Basically, your comments were of the instigating kind. If you actually want to debate that thread, then we can. See you there.... if you want.

Now... back to this topic...........
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm

cable2 wrote:

TexasBlue wrote:I knew you were going to quote that. You're very predictable. Big Grin

All that meant was that your opinion was null and void. You apparently know nothing of the US Constitution. The states have a right to do what they're doing. The have an obligation to the citizens of those states to do what they're doing. The constitution here is full of things that the states have the rights to do. This isn't England.

You make a blanket statement about "right wing" states, which is a falsehood.

Basically, your comments were of the instigating kind. If you actually want to debate that thread, then we can. See you there.... if you want.

Now... back to this topic...........

with out commenting on any on going American debate.. you "TexasBlue" these forums owner and moderator told any one who have access to these forums that my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.. cos you "TexasBlue" claim my "Cable2" lack of education of America matters made my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.

but if I where free to join the debate.. I would ask where I say "right wing" states did not have the right to be "right wing" state.. or I would ask where the waisted court costs by those "right wing" states, would come from.. or even I would ask how did having a Dem governor alter a "right wing" state from being a "right wing" state.

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

cable2 wrote:with out commenting on any on going American debate.. you "TexasBlue" these forums owner and moderator told any one who have access to these forums that my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.. cos you "TexasBlue" claim my "Cable2" lack of education of America matters made my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.

You don't seem to grasp what I'm getting at here. You made two unjust statements to start that off in that thread. Of course, you can have an opinion. Your opinion wasn't based on fact. That was the problem in that thread.

Keep in mind, Cable, I have yet to edit (moderate) anything you have posted in here.

cable2 wrote:but if I where free to join the debate.. I would ask where I say "right wing" states did not have the right to be "right wing" state.. or I would ask where the waisted court costs by those "right wing" states, would come from.. or even I would ask how did having a Dem governor alter a "right wing" state from being a "right wing" state.

You called them right wing states. It was a false statement. I was an unnecessary statement. That's what Matt called you on.

Wasted court costs is in the eye of the beholder. In this country, we have sovereign states much like England is a sovereign country within the EU. Each state here has the right to challenge an unjust (or perceived unjust) federal law. We do have a constitution that is to be abided by. The federal govt here has things it can and can't do. The states are challenging that. Remember rule of law?

It's a bias on your part regarding that without the knowledge of the US Constitution.

Time to get back to the topic here. I may move this to the other thread.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:59 pm

cable2 wrote:with out commenting on any on going American debate.. you "TexasBlue" these forums owner and moderator told any one who have access to these forums that my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.. cos you "TexasBlue" claim my "Cable2" lack of education of America matters made my "Cable2" opinion is null and void.

TexasBlue wrote:You don't seem to grasp what I'm getting at here. You made two unjust statements to start that off in that thread. Of course, you can have an opinion. Your opinion wasn't based on fact. That was the problem in that thread.

Keep in mind, Cable, I have yet to edit (moderate) anything you have posted in here.

:self edited: I never claimed you had.. what I said was "you "TexasBlue" these forums owner and moderator told any one who have access to these forums that my "Cable2" opinion is null and void"

cable2 wrote:but if I where free to join the debate.. I would ask where I say "right wing" states did not have the right to be "right wing" state.. or I would ask where the waisted court costs by those "right wing" states, would come from.. or even I would ask how did having a Dem governor alter a "right wing" state from being a "right wing" state.

TexasBlue wrote:You called them right wing states. It was a false statement. I was an unnecessary statement. That's what Matt called you on.

are you saying that I do not have a right to call them "right wing" states.. when their actions show themselves to be "right wing" states.. as for Matt calling on me.. me thought he was reacting to your "head wag" reply of hurt feelings towards my comment.

TexasBlue wrote:Wasted court costs is in the eye of the beholder. In this country, we have sovereign states much like England is a sovereign country within the EU. Each state here has the right to challenge an unjust (or perceived unjust) federal law. We do have a constitution that is to be abided by. The federal govt here has things it can and can't do. The states are challenging that. Remember rule of law?

It's a bias on your part regarding that without the knowledge of the US Constitution.

Time to get back to the topic here. I may move this to the other thread.

and mayhap "the eye of the beholder" is the state taxpayer.. cos I never question the right for those "right wing" states to bring the court case.. but I did question the wisdom as their have no way of winning such a court case.. and as such, such a court case would be nothing if not political Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

cable2 wrote:are you saying that I do not have a right to call them "right wing" states.. when their actions show themselves to be "right wing" states.. as for Matt calling on me.. me thought he was reacting to your "head wag" reply of hurt feelings towards my comment.

You can call them that and then I'll rebut it asking you to back it up. See rule #2c. You made a blanket accusation with no evidence to back it up.

He doesn't react to me. He does his moderating on his own. I don't tell him what to do in here. He knows what his position is and does it quite well.

cable2 wrote:and mayhap "the eye of the beholder" is the state taxpayer.. cos I never question the right for those "right wing" states to bring the court case.. but I did question the wisdom as their have no way of winning such a court case.. and as such, such a court case would be nothing if not political Wink

The tax payer elects state senators, state representatives and a state attorney general to do their bidding. We had elections last fall across the country and they weren't restricted to just federal positions. They are doing their jobs. If it gets struck down, they can appeal and appeal. When it makes to to the USSC, then the issue will have it's final word. That's how our system works. We don't like the fed running rough-shod over us here.... most of us. Some like it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm

Please stop ranting in the wrong thread about this.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:01 pm

we is spinning round and a round and a round.. mayhap it's in the language cos your replies show you isn't reading what I wrote..

should I try one last time..

"right wing" states... the fact these states correctively brought about such a politically "right wing" court case prove that these states are not "left wing".. cos the American "left wing" know the need and right for all Americans to have health care cover.. and if this court case has not be brought by the American "left wing" then it must come from those opposed to the health care laws of the left.. so if the states are not "left wing" states.. they is "right wing" states.. states opposed to "left wing" laws.

the American "right wing" game playing with legal system is nothing new.. the game is not to win but to keep the game going.. the USSC will not bring the "already known" judgment in for many years to come.. and in those years while those "right wing" states can keep the legal case from judgment.. they can use it as a political hammer to beat at the "left wing" government they oppose.

now on to.. "Matt's call on me to behave".. the wording of your reply to my comment showed you felt hurt by my words.. it was my hurting of you which made Matt call on me to behave.. and not my self-evident statement that those states who brought the court case where in fact "right wing" states.

let's hope I have not just given you yet another opportunity to go a round and a round again... cos I's done Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

One last warning or I'll lock this thread. Quit hijacking this thread and take to the other thread!
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:23 am

Cable2 my comment about you behaving had nothing to do with Tex's reaction and everything to do with your incendiary language. If I felt that Tex was overreacting to your comment I would have said so, and I have done so on many occasions when I feel he has taken something the wrong way.

You are entitled to your opinions but they are rarely backed up with solid evidence.

Your comment about 'right wing states' though superficially innocuous was designed to get a reaction. There are many other terms you could have used to make your point. 'Traditionally Republican' for example.

You need to think about how you are communicating yourself to others.

Now get back to the subject please.
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Professor Receives Death Threats After Glenn Beck Targets Her Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down