Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs

4 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Go down

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Empty Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs

Post by BubbleBliss Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs

Topeka, Kan. —
In a State house committee Monday, Representative Virgil Peck (R) suggested illegal immigrants should be treated the same way the state controls feral pigs, by shooting at the from helicopters.

Peck said, “It looks to me if shooting these immigrating feral hogs works maybe we have found a [solution] to out illegal immigration problem”

When initially questioned about his comments, peck told a reporter from the Lawrence Journal World that he was joking and that he was just speaking like a person from Southeast Kansas.

The Nation’s largest and oldest Latino civil rights organization, the League of United Latin American Citizens, called for Peck to resign. Democratic leaders and Governor Brownback (R) condemned Peck’s remarks and called for an apology.

State of the State KS tried to interview Representative Peck on Tuesday but he declined. Instead, he handed our reporter a statement that read, “My statements yesterday were regrettable. Please accept my apology.

The House Leadership released a statement Tuesday afternoon agreeing that Peck’s comments were inappropriate.

The statement said in part, “We have visited and counseled with Representative Peck about the matter and have accepted his sincere apology for the inappropriate remark,which, although made in jest, was not thereby made any less offensive.His acknowledgment of his error, his apology to the public and his House colleagues and his pledge to be more vigilant and respectful in his discourse is appreciated and accepted.”

Democratic Representative Louis Ruiz said Peck’s comments express a sentiment to Hispanic groups that they’re not welcome in Kansas.

“It sends the message of fear and hatred. Be on guard and look out for what’s coming down with the immigration bills, you’re not welcome here,” said Ruiz.

Representative Peck’s comments come at a time when the state legislature is considering a number of bills that target illegal immigrants.

In other State house news, a senate committee debated a bill that would ban public sector unions from taking a voluntary deduction from an employee’s paycheck for political activity.

“I am highly offended with this bill, I think it is a waste of time,” said Senator Jean Schodorf (R).

Opponent of the bill said the bill was rushed through the committee and will limit free speech but supporters say the purpose of the bill is to prevent union members from being coerced into making a donation.

Senate Commerce Chairwoman Susan Wagle (R) said, “It’s really giving every individual in the state of Kansas power over their paycheck.”

After a heated debate, the bill passed out of committee but will face scrutiny in a second Senate committee later this week.
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Empty Re: Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:20 pm

You know what's funny? All of this politically correct bullshit. It's thought control and speech control. The guy apologized (as he should have) but the stink still festers and won't go away because those that were offended won't allow it to go away.

I can't tell you the number of times I've read and heard bullshit from minorities about whites. We don't ask for apologizes. We just say, "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on" and move on.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Admin210

Back to top Go down

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Empty Re: Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs

Post by kronos Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

TexasBlue wrote:I can't tell you the number of times I've read and heard bullshit from minorities about whites.

From elected officials? Seriously?

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:31 pm

kronos wrote:
TexasBlue wrote:I can't tell you the number of times I've read and heard bullshit from minorities about whites.

From elected officials? Seriously?

No, I'm talking every day walks of life with that comment.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah, see that's the difference.

The elected official represents the people and is in a position of power.

A racist joke takes on completely different overtones coming from such a person.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Not much, imo. When white folks say sorry things about minorities, there's a huge backlash... and rightfully so, mind you. But when it's in reverse, it's not the same. That's what I tire of.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not one who thinks we oughta be slinging around slang words at minorities. But if we're going to be PC, then it cuts across all aisles.... all the time.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Well, the problem here (as I see it) isn't specifically that some white guy made racist comments about Mexicans, i.e. racism was applied in 'the wrong direction,' but that an elected official made a racist comment.

Last edited by kronos on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Amber_Spyglass Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:57 pm

I concur with that sentiment. There is no defence for what he said.

Last edited by The_Amber_Spyglass on Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Amber_Spyglass
The_Amber_Spyglass

Legislator suggests shooting illegal immigrants like hogs Senmem10

http://sweattearsanddigitalink.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah, elected officials need to have their feet held to the fire when they say shit like this. The bad part is that it taints them forever more. This guy claimed it was a joke but I find that just an excuse. I'm of the type that when people say things like this, they mean it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Seriously, what kind of "joke" is that? Why would you make a "joke" like that?

I think he was half-serious. Not about shooting them, but about the basic view he expressed: Mexicans are "feral hogs."

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:15 pm

That's why I said what I said above your post. It was made to sound like a joke after the fact. It wasn't.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by kronos Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:33 pm

I know, I was agreeing with you and adding to your comment. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

kronos

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 pm

kronos wrote:I know, I was agreeing with you and adding to your comment. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

"S'alright," as the cartoon character used to say. Big Grin
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down