Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats

5 posters

:: Main :: Politics

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Empty Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats

Post by TexasBlue Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats

David Bauder
Associated Press
November 5, 2010

NEW YORK - MSNBC has suspended prime-time host Keith Olbermann indefinitely without pay for contributing to the campaigns of three Democratic candidates this election season.

Olbermann acknowledged to NBC that he donated $2,400 apiece to the campaigns of Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway and Arizona Reps. Raul Grivalva and Gabrielle Giffords.

NBC News prohibits its employees from working on, or donating to, political campaigns unless a special exception is granted by the news division president — effectively a ban. Olbermann's bosses did not find out about the donations until after they were made. The website Politico first reported the donations.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," Phil Griffin, MSNBC's chief executive, said Friday. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

Olbermann was not immediately available for comment.

His "Countdown" show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET, is MSNBC's most popular program. His on-the-air transformation from the host of a straight news program to a liberal commentator led the network itself to go in the same direction, filling its prime-time lineup with left-leaning hosts and doing better in the ratings than anytime since its 1996 launch.

The rise in opinionated cable news programming has called into question whether the traditional rules of news organizations to preserve the appearance of impartiality should apply to people who have their jobs in part because of a clear point of view.

Sean Hannity, a conservative radio talk show host with a popular hour on Fox News Channel each weeknight, donated $2,400 to the congressional campaign of New York Republican John Gomez in May. In August, he donated $5,000 to Michelepac, or Many Individual Conservatives Helping Elect Leaders Everywhere, according to the Federal Election Commission. The PAC is associated with Minnesota Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann.

Fox's Bill Shine, senior vice president of programming, told the Twin Cities Pioneer Press after the Bachmann donation that "it's always good to remember that he's not a journalist; he's a conservative TV host. If he wants to donate to a candidate, he certainly can."

Fox's parent company, News Corp., gave $1 million this summer to the Republican Governor's Association, which helps elect GOP gubernatorial candidates nationally. Fox host Neil Cavuto paid $1,000 in 2002 for a ticket to a dinner benefiting the Republican senatorial and congressional campaign committees.

MSNBC's own Joe Scarborough, who hosts the "Morning Joe" program, is listed in campaign records as donating $4,200 in 2006 to Derrick Kitts, a failed Republican congressional candidate.

Grijalva was on Olbermann's show twice in the weeks leading up to the election, once on Oct. 22 because the congressman's office in Tucson had received a suspicious envelope containing powder in the mail, and on Oct. 28 to talk about the state's tough new immigration law, spokesman Adam Sarvana said. Grijalva did not ask for a donation and Olbermann did not say he was giving one.

"I assume that Olbermann decides on his own who to give his money to," said Sarvana, adding that the campaign was surprised when the check arrived.

A spokeswoman for Giffords also said Olbermann's donation was unsolicited. Her race against a Republican tea party candidate was still too close to call on Friday afternoon.

Olbermann was a co-anchor of MSNBC's election coverage this week. The network's performance drew some criticism, particularly with Chris Matthews' contentious interviews with Republican Bachmann and Marsha Blackburn.

Olbermann was seen laughing following Matthews' conversation with Bachmann. Matthews had criticized the congresswoman for failing to answer his questions.

"Are you hypnotized tonight?" Matthews said. "Has someone hypnotized you? Because no matter what I ask you, you give the same answer."

Comedy Central's Jon Stewart, interviewing Fox's Chris Wallace the day after election day, said MSNBC was like "double-A ball" in comparison to Fox.

"You can't defeat Fox by becoming what they say you are," Stewart said. "The only way you can defeat them is by an earned credibility, not an earned partisanship. They're making a mistake by becoming an equivalent to Fox rather than a brand new journalistic organization."

There has been discomfort in the past at NBC News over the roles of Matthews and Olbermann on newsy nights. For part of the 2008 campaign, the two men anchored MSNBC's prime-time political coverage, but when the general election campaign started, they were replaced by David Gregory and given the role of commentators.

Olbermann, 51, has a volatile work history, feuding with management at ESPN, where he came to prominence as a "Sportscenter" host. He had a different prime-time show for MSNBC in the late 1990s, but said he quit because he was angry that management compelled him to spent a lot of time on the scandal that led to President Clinton's impeachment.

Because Olbermann is a polarizing figure, his suspension set different sides of the political spectrum aflame. Brent Bozell of the conservative Media Research Center called Olbermann "the worse hypocrite in the world" for complaining about News Corp's political donations while making similar ones himself, while the liberal Progressive Change Campaign Committee started an online petition demanding that MSNBC put Olbermann back on the air.

"Is this simply a personality conflict within MSNBC or is one of America's major corporations cracking down on a viewpoint they may not like?" asked Sen. Bernie Sanders, a Vermont independent. "Whatever the answer may be, Keith Olbermann should be reinstated immediately and allowed to present his point of view."

After initially saying Chris Hayes would fill in for Olbermann on Friday, MSNBC changed its mind but wouldn't immediately say who would do it.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Admin210

Back to top Go down

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Empty Re: Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats

Post by dblboggie Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

This is hollow and meaningless posturing on NBC's part and an attempt to make Fox look bad. Keith Olbermann is NOT a journalist... he is a 3rd rate TV hack on a cable network that so people watch it's a wonder it still exists. His is the highest rated show on MSNBC, and his audience is 1 million. This is an audience so tiny as to be embarrassing - and that's the highest rated show on MSNBC! What must the ratings be for the rest of their schedule???

This is just another backhanded hit job on Fox and nothing more.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Empty Re: Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats

Post by TexasBlue Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:25 pm

But they do have a policy on this there at NBC/MSNBC. FNC does not. Therefore, there's the rub you were speaking of.

Personally, it doesn't mean shit to me. He should be able to donate to whomever he pleases. But since his company forbids it.....
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Admin210

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Rachel Maddow on suspended Keith Olbermann: MSNBC should reinstate him

Christina Boyle
New York Daily News
November 6th 2010

Rachel Maddow came to the defense of her suspended MSNBC colleague Keith Olbermann, saying network chiefs have made their point and the "Countdown" host should be reinstated.

Maddow also sought to dispel claims that MSNBC is a left-wing version of Fox News, saying the Murdoch-owned broadcaster has a history of "not just giving money to candidates, but actively endorsing campaigns and raising millions of dollars for politicians and political parties."

"Their network is run as a political operation. Ours isn't," Maddow said during the final segment of her show Friday. "Yeah, Keith's a liberal, and so am I. But we're not a political operation - Fox is. We're a news operation." Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats 554620 Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats 554620

Maddow added that the rules surrounding political contributions "are part of how you know that."

Olbermann was suspended without pay Friday for making donations to three Democratic candidates in this week's mid-term elections.

MSNBC rules state that staff can only make political contributions if you are given the all-clear from superiors in advance, which the star newscaster did not do.

He gave the maximum legal donation of $2,400 to two candidates in Arizona and one in Kentucky, but it did not come to light until it was reported by Politico.com.

"I understand the rule. I understand what it means to break it," Maddow said. "I believe everyone should face the same treatment under that rule. I also personally believe that the point has been made and we should have Keith back hosting Countdown."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 pm

What did I tell you? This has been nothing more than an attempt to defame Fox News. These liberal broadcasters just can't stand that Fox is beating them so badly in the ratings. And they hate that they've finally lost the monopoly they once had on the pipeline of news and information to the public at large. That is why that incessantly attack and defame conservative radio broadcasters.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Senmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:06 pm

That didn't take long. Only three days in control and the Republicans are already doing away with our freedom of speech. Rolling Eyes

And what's all this BS about left-wing media bias?
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Eterna10

Birthday : 1969-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 pm

dblboggie wrote:These liberal broadcasters just can't stand that Fox is beating them so badly in the ratings.

Cable News Ratings for November 4, 2010

P2+ (000s)25-54 (000s)35-64 (000s)
Total Day

FNC
CNN
MSNBC
CNBC
HLN
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:19 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:That didn't take long. Only three days in control and the Republicans are already doing away with our freedom of speech. Rolling Eyes

What freedom of speech did they take away?
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm

By the way, Republicans are NOT in control of anything till January.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:42 pm

TexasBlue wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:That didn't take long. Only three days in control and the Republicans are already doing away with our freedom of speech. Rolling Eyes

What freedom of speech did they take away?
The answer is in your response.

And yes, I'm being difficult. But again, the righties are absolutely loving this only because "their news" won. Even though it's been proven time and time again that Fox has their own political agenda, as long as "their guy" wins, it's okay. That's all the righties give a damn about - winning. They don't see the precedence in what MSNBC (a supposed left-wing media-outlet) did to Keith. They don't care that a voice (albeit a liberal one) has been silenced. They don't care that there is now less freedom of speech than there was a week ago. All the righties give a damn about is winning.

That is the future of America. Kick Can
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Eterna10

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Just to throw this in there, CNN is the world wide leader in news. You can watch CNN in pretty much every European country as a standard program whereas FOX news is non-existant over here
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:54 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:The answer is in your response.

I think not. You said
the Republicans are already doing away with our freedom of speech.
and I asked what they took away. Answer please.

i_luv_miley wrote:And yes, I'm being difficult. But again, the righties are absolutely loving this only because "their news" won. Even though it's been proven time and time again that Fox has their own political agenda, as long as "their guy" wins, it's okay. That's all the righties give a damn about - winning. They don't see the precedence in what MSNBC (a supposed left-wing media-outlet) did to Keith. They don't care that a voice (albeit a liberal one) has been silenced. They don't care that there is now less freedom of speech than there was a week ago. All the righties give a damn about is winning.

Of course the righties love it. But that's besides the point. NBC has a policy in place and ol' Keith violated the policy, plain and simple.

Now if you ask me if it's a good policy or one that should be in place... I dunno. Personally, I feel that anyone should be able to donate to whatever cause they wish. But since the corporation he works for says he and others can't, then that's their policy. It's not a freedom of speech issue. Only government can take that away and you know that.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm

MSNBC Confirms Liberal Media Bias

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/msnbc-confirms-liberal-media-bias/

Three years old but.....
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
Just to throw this in there, CNN is the world wide leader in news. You can watch CNN in pretty much every European country as a standard program whereas FOX news is non-existant over here

And we are to find this surprising? Europe is far more to the left than America, hardly a shocker that they'd select the left-wing CNN as a news source.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

TexasBlue wrote:Of course the righties love it. But that's besides the point.
It's not beside the point. That is the point! There is an ideological war going on in America right now. And it needs to stop!
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:21 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
It's not beside the point. That is the point! There is an ideological war going on in America right now. And it needs to stop!

No it doesn't need to stop... it needs to be won.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:30 pm

dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

And we are to find this surprising? Europe is far more to the left than America, hardly a shocker that they'd select the left-wing CNN as a news source.

Show me exactly how CNN is a leftist media outlet...
BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats Junmem10

Back to top Go down

Post by i_luv_miley Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:55 pm

dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:

So you are in support of a civil war?

Wow... Neutral
i_luv_miley
i_luv_miley

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:12 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:

I know that. But it is besides the point. The point here is Keith violated a company policy. It has nothing to do with what right wingers think or say.
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

Sure, no problem.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/presspol/publications/reports/invisible_primary_invisible_no_longer.pdf

In a joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism, the authors found disparate treatment by the three major cable networks of Republican and Democratic candidates during the earliest five months of presidential primaries in 2007: “The CNN programming studied tended to cast a negative light on Republican candidates—by a margin of three-to-one. Four-in-ten stories (41%) were clearly negative while just 14% were positive and 46% were neutral. The network provided negative coverage of all three main candidates with McCain fairing the worst (63% negative) and Romney fairing a little better than the others only because a majority of his coverage was neutral.

http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/left-wing-media-bias-showing-through/

Known for its pro-Clinton bias, CNN has been called the Clinton News Network. But now, with Clinton unable to run for another term as president, the news organization founded by Ted Turner has apparently decided to transfer some of that bias to Clinton’s designated successor, Vice President Al Gore. Until an avalanche of criticism forced it to change course, CNN was preparing to let Gore guest-host CNN’s “Larry King Live” show, where he would have postured as protector of America’s youth in the wake of the Colorado school shootings.

Gore was supposed to have been the host of the show, and one of his guests was going to be popular talk show host Oprah Winfrey. When CNN came to its senses and decided to allow Gore to appear as a guest only, Winfrey canceled her appearance. CNN “came to its senses” only under enormous pressure. As detailed in a Washington Post story by Howard Kurtz, the Republican National Committee had sent letters and e-mails to CNN protesting Gore’s scheduled appearance as host. Republican chairman Jim Nicholson said the program would have been “a contribution of free air time to the ‘Gore for President Campaign.’”
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 pm

i_luv_miley wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
i_luv_miley wrote:

So you are in support of a civil war?

Wow... Neutral

Now you are just being obtuse. Where did I say anything about a civil war? We are talking about competing ideologies here, not actual war.

dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by BubbleBliss Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:32 pm

dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

Sure, no problem.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/presspol/publications/reports/invisible_primary_invisible_no_longer.pdf

In a joint study by the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy at Harvard University and the Project for Excellence in Journalism, the authors found disparate treatment by the three major cable networks of Republican and Democratic candidates during the earliest five months of presidential primaries in 2007: “The CNN programming studied tended to cast a negative light on Republican candidates—by a margin of three-to-one. Four-in-ten stories (41%) were clearly negative while just 14% were positive and 46% were neutral. The network provided negative coverage of all three main candidates with McCain fairing the worst (63% negative) and Romney fairing a little better than the others only because a majority of his coverage was neutral.

Known for its pro-Clinton bias, CNN has been called the Clinton News Network. But now, with Clinton unable to run for another term as president, the news organization founded by Ted Turner has apparently decided to transfer some of that bias to Clinton’s designated successor, Vice President Al Gore. Until an avalanche of criticism forced it to change course, CNN was preparing to let Gore guest-host CNN’s “Larry King Live” show, where he would have postured as protector of America’s youth in the wake of the Colorado school shootings.

Gore was supposed to have been the host of the show, and one of his guests was going to be popular talk show host Oprah Winfrey. When CNN came to its senses and decided to allow Gore to appear as a guest only, Winfrey canceled her appearance. CNN “came to its senses” only under enormous pressure. As detailed in a Washington Post story by Howard Kurtz, the Republican National Committee had sent letters and e-mails to CNN protesting Gore’s scheduled appearance as host. Republican chairman Jim Nicholson said the program would have been “a contribution of free air time to the ‘Gore for President Campaign.’”

Really? A story about the 2008 election and the focus on Clinton and Al Gore? Every news channel focused on Obama more than McCain during the election, since he was the first black presidential candidate. That's only natural.
And as far as Clinton goes, he hasn't been in office for a while now, don't you think something a little more up to date would be in order?

BubbleBliss
BubbleBliss

Back to top Go down

Post by dblboggie Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:
dblboggie wrote:
BubbleBliss wrote:

Sure, no problem.

Really? A story about the 2008 election and the focus on Clinton and Al Gore? Every news channel focused on Obama more than McCain during the election, since he was the first black presidential candidate. That's only natural. And as far as Clinton goes, he hasn't been in office for a while now, don't you think something a little more up to date would be in order?

Yes... really. And also note that Obama's coverage was overwhelming positive and their coverage of Republicans overwhelmingly negative. You seem to have missed that bit. And do you honestly think CNN has changed their stripes in 2 years?

Face it, CNN is well left of center - not as left as MSNBC, but hell, I don't think Pravda was as left as that network.
dblboggie
dblboggie

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:Show me exactly how CNN is a leftist media outlet...

It's what's called bias. For the 8 years of the Bush admin, every closed-door meeting or "secret" gov't action led to screeching headlines. The media and the left went ape shit about Cheney meeting with oil companies to craft an energy policy. But the SEIU (one of the largest unions here in America) head honcho has been to the WH numerous times and nothing from the "mainstream" media. George Soros.... several visits to the WH.... and nothing.

Health care foes 11 votes shy of defeating bill
By Charles Riley and Jeff Simon, CNN

Washington (CNN) — Five more House Democrats said Tuesday that they will vote against Senate health care legislation, which puts opponents of reform just 11 votes shy of the 216 needed to prevent President Obama from scoring a major victory on his top domestic priority.
Opponents of reform? They could've worded that correctly. That statement paints those who were at odds with this bill as not wanting reform. Crazy, but my representative is a Democrat and he voted against it.

A CNN/YouTube debate chose to have questions on what the GOP 'represents'..... which focused primarily on: God, Guns, Gays, and Immigration. Keith Olbermann suspended indefinitely by MSNBC for political contributions to 3 Democrats 861191

When referring to the Supreme Court justices, they refer to the liberal members as "independent and unpredictable" or "moderate" or in the case of the most liberal member, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, she is "almost entirely devoted to praising her contributions to women’s rights." She is described as “Thurgood Marshall of gender equity law.” But when they referred to the conservative justices... well.... they labeled them as "conservative."

CNN reporter insults tea party attendee, whines about pushback
http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/?q=node/6359

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/Media-Bias-Is-Real-Finds-UCLA-6664.aspx

Video: Biden’s “overwhelming” win in the CNN focus group
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/10/05/video-bidens-overwhelming-win-in-the-cnn-focus-group/

CNN’s Soledad O’Brien spread the lie that Sarah Palin “slashed” teen pregnancy funding… by increasing funding.
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/04/not-again-palin-slashes-another-childrens-programby-increasing-funding/
But guess what? Palin actually signed a law that equalizes aid to rural and urban districts, while significantly increasing funding for special needs students. Doh!

TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by TexasBlue Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:27 pm

BubbleBliss wrote:Every news channel focused on Obama more than McCain during the election, since he was the first black presidential candidate. That's only natural.

Really? Why didn't the media pay any attention to Shirley Chisholm, Senator Carol Moseley Braun, Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton? Not black enough? Not first enough? Very Happy
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next