Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits

:: Main :: Social Issues

Go down

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits Empty Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits

Post by TexasBlue Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Paul Di'Anno Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming Benefits

Feb. 11, 201

According to the Daily Mail, former Iron Maiden singer Paul Di'Anno (real name: Paul Andrews) is facing jail time after he falsely collected U.K. government benefits by claiming he suffered nerve damage to his back that prevented him from working.

Di'Anno, 52, admitted swindling taxpayers out of more than £45,000 (approximately $72,000) by claiming a range of incapacity benefit, housing benefit and council tax handouts, by stating he was to ill to work, between 2002 and 2008. He claimed to be suffering from Sciatica, or nerve damage to the back.

D'Anno was reportedly busted when investigators at Department Of Work And Pensions (DWP) received an anonymous tip that he was still singing. They then found videos and pictures on YouTube and the rocker's own web site of Di'Anno "energetically leaping around on stage, singing to fans around the world."

Honorary Recorder Judge Andrew Barnett told Di'Anno at yesterday's hearing at at Salisbury Crown Court, "You have got the sense and courage to plead guilty to these matters, but you have to understand that they are very serious.

"Although all sentence options will be open, you should prepare yourself for a prison sentence — and an immediate one at that."

Di'Anno will be sentenced on March 11.

Di'Anno completed his first North American tour in early 2010, 17 years after he was deported following a prison term for guns and drug offenses.

"In 1991 I did a couple of stints in jail for guns and drugs," Di'Anno explained in a 2010 interview. "I was stupid. But after I'd done my stretch they still treated me like a criminal. And I was — but I wasn't that bad. So I didn't feel good about America. The government, not the people.

"Prison was tough, but I'm tougher. I was nobody's bitch, put it that way. You've got to do it; otherwise people will walk all over you."
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits Admin210

Back to top Go down

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits Empty Re: Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits

Post by TexasBlue Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Not too bright.

It reminds me of a lady here in my town that was off of work via Workman's Compensation (injured while working). She was out for weeks. Then the local paper did a story in something related to some local people riding horses for some event. Her picture was on the front page of the town paper while riding. She lost her job the next day and had to pay back most of her comp. ROFL
TexasBlue
TexasBlue

Ex-Iron Maiden Singer Faces Jail Time For Falsely Claiming UK Benefits Admin210

Back to top Go down